Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can a below average to average looking person at 18 become a good looking adult?
Yes, it happens quite a bit and with changes a person can do that 29 63.04%
Yes, but it will take a lot of hard work and discipline 7 15.22%
It happens but is not that common, good looking people are born that way day 1 5 10.87%
The person can be above average even but no they will not fall into the good looking category 2 4.35%
Unlikely, person will remain the way they are 3 6.52%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 04:58 PM

125 posts, read 269,002 times

Advertisements

By good looking I do not mean "oh you will be good looking to someone", by good looking I mean people who they post articles about, people who make more money because of their looks, people who get hired easily because of their looks, get dates easily, and make friends easily.

Now post OBJECTIVELY. I want to hear direct answers instead of life advice.

Say you have a person who for the first 18 years of their life never had a stable childhood, had to keep moving and moving, suffered from being overweight and such due to lack of sports, restrictive parenting, etc. Now if that person makes changes in diet, manages to lose weight (which I have seen some people do), starts to get a better body and such, do you think that person can literally go from undesirable in high school and throughout their teens (13-19) to being a "good looking" adult or are good looking people generally good looking day 1?

what are your thoughts, to simplify it, yes I have posted a poll
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 05:20 PM

2,472 posts, read 3,203,251 times
Yes, obviously.

Old 03-08-2012, 05:22 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,893,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahman21 View Post
By good looking I do not mean "oh you will be good looking to someone", by good looking I mean people who they post articles about, people who make more money because of their looks, people who get hired easily because of their looks, get dates easily, and make friends easily.

Now post OBJECTIVELY. I want to hear direct answers instead of life advice.

Say you have a person who for the first 18 years of their life never had a stable childhood, had to keep moving and moving, suffered from being overweight and such due to lack of sports, restrictive parenting, etc. Now if that person makes changes in diet, manages to lose weight (which I have seen some people do), starts to get a better body and such, do you think that person can literally go from undesirable in high school and throughout their teens (13-19) to being a "good looking" adult or are good looking people generally good looking day 1?

what are your thoughts, to simplify it, yes I have posted a poll
Yeah, definitely. If you get into good shape, dress well, and act in a manner that makes people want to know you and be around you, you've basically become attractive.

You see plenty of people who are average or below average (subjectively, of course) in the face department but whom are in great shape and are charismatic, and you think they're attractive; you see plenty of people who have attractive facial features but have let themselves go, are frumpy, and have a poor attitude and they drop a few rungs in attractiveness.

Old 03-08-2012, 05:22 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,839,534 times
Chelsea Clinton

Yes, it happens.

Old 03-08-2012, 05:44 PM

17,232 posts, read 57,179,994 times
It's easier for men than for women. An average or less young man who hits the iron HARD, will soon be way above average in terms of body anyway. That and consider say Robert Redford and then consider Charles Bronson. Both rate highly, or did in their prime, but then consider if they each had a daughter that had their facial features - Robert's daughter would probably be a lot more sought after.

Consider Arnold. If he had not, in his own words, "muscled up and made out" - and built up considerable wealth - what gal would give him the time of day?

The usual desired features of a woman's body are more driven by genetics, straight up, it's a different game for them than for men. A woman who is overweight can slim down, any gal can get toned, but if she's starting out as a 4, she's unlikely to get beyond a 6. A homely face and a flat chest can't be "fixed" or overcome easily. At least for me, clothes, haircut, etc. won't do much for a gal who is homely and flat. But a guy can always get pumped, get ripped, if he puts in the effort.

It ain't fair, but them's the facts on the ground as I see 'em.

Old 03-08-2012, 05:46 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,946,847 times
For men, quite possibly. Dedicated bodybuilding will turn heads, everything else just needs to be passable. Very few guys with ripped bodies are deemed unattractive.

For women, I don't know. Well they could certainly try to improve their style and weight if those are issues, but a lot of their attractiveness is based on their face which cannot be changed as easily.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:27 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,470,688 times
I know several men and women who went to college and became a lot more attractive.

Working out, losing weight...for some, it was just all the confidence gained.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:45 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,413,423 times
I voted the first item - you had better believe it.

I knew a girl who went from unnoticed to "who the hell is this" between junior and senior year of high school. She always had a pretty face, but the bland "zipperhead" hairstyle gave way to a nice hairstyle. There were some other changes, probably in apparel, and I can't itemize them.

For most people, it takes longer....like from 18 to 26. In that time, you generally reach your adult height, any problems related to acne disappear, you go to a place to get your hair cut instead of having your parents do it (guys), you may have joined a gym or started exercising, and you are more self-assured...either through working or having finished college. The answer is YES. Sometimes, people's self-image doesn't catch up as fast, though, because the physical changes occur rapidly.

Last edited by robertpolyglot; 03-08-2012 at 07:02 PM..

Old 03-08-2012, 06:49 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,413,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
For men, quite possibly. Dedicated bodybuilding will turn heads, everything else just needs to be passable. Very few guys with ripped bodies are deemed unattractive.

For women, I don't know. Well they could certainly try to improve their style and weight if those are issues, but a lot of their attractiveness is based on their face which cannot be changed as easily.
With the ethnic populations in Los Angeles, they "sold" quite a few nose jobs. I knew of a few people that had a nose job in conjunction with a chin implant, getting rid of a beak and a weak chin at the same time, and the change was dramatic - for the better.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:02 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,039,233 times
Haven't you ever seen those celebrity high school yearbook pictures in the tabloids? Not that I read the tabloids personally, I've just heard from others that those photos exist and that they're pretty funny. Some of the biggest sex symbols in Hollywood were geeks/virgins in high school. The concrete doesn't set on your desirability at age 18.

Hit the gym, get a manly haircut or better yet just shave it, buy some form fitting clothes from a classy store like Brooks Brothers, and learn how to talk to any chick like you've known her your whole life.

Do this for a year and next March when you see a picture of yourself from today, you won't recognize it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships