Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2012, 09:16 AM

4 posts, read 14,630 times

Advertisements

My current girlfriend has been my best friend for the past few years. There is a long story of of our relationship in the past years that I think may be important for this post. Here it goes, it may be long but I would appreciate the advice.
6 years ago, when I was 22, I dated a girl for 2 years. I'll call her girl B. It lasted about a year too long. During this relationship I met this other girl, girl A. She was dating a guy that is was an acquaintance of mine. I was very attracted to her and spoke when we were all out. Her boyfriend became abusive to her, physically and emotionally. I broke up with girl B and soon became close to girl A. She also broke up with her boyfriend right around that time too. Both girls also became friends. I moved away and went off to the army. Girl A was one of the few people that kept contact with me. We would talk multiple times, weekly. She was also getting to be good friends with my ex, girl B. Girl A would always be excited to see me when I came home on leave. She would always make time for me no matter what she was doing and even come to the airport to pick me up. Well, the time came when I had to deploy overseas. She was the only friend that kept in touch with me on a very regular basis. We would facebook, send emails, skype, or gchat a couple times a week. We became very, very close. We started to get to know eachother on a personal and emotional level. She became my best friend! I finally returned home from overseas for good and was on my post deployment leave back with my friends and family. We were all out one night and we were being very flirty as usual. She pulled me outside and asked me what I thought of her. I told that she is my best friend and I want her to be more than that. Unfortunately, I lived across the country and knew that now wasn't the time to pursue anything. During the rest of the month we would cuddle and spoon through the night. We did kiss once, but she said she felt guilty because of her friendship with my ex, girl B. But we still continued to flirt and cuddle. It was almost as if we were in a relationship, minus the physical factor. A year later, I got out of the army and moved back. I lived near her, and we grew even closer. We started felling the strong emotional connection even more now that we were able to be around eachother more. We started kissing again. But, we stopped because my ex, girl B was now planning on moving back and moving in with girl A. We decide before B moves back we need to tell her that girl A and I have feelings for eachother and want to pursue a relationship. We decided I would call girl B, and tell her. She gets upset and says she is not moving back anymore. Girls A and B are still friends to this day. Anyways, girl A was mad at me and we don't talk for a week but then we started talking and hanging out again. So we start to pursue a relationship. We start being physical, and we are very comfortable with everything. Everything is perfect....for two weeks. I can tell something is different so I asked her. Since we are such close friends its very easy for us to communicate. She tells me she thinks her feelings aren't where mine are. She doesn't have the romantic feelings for me that I have for her. I didn't believe it and thought she was making up excuses because she was scared. I wrote her a letter and of what I thought about everything. I thought she was scared of commitment because she has been very hurt in the past by guys. I thought she was thinking I was going to eventually hurt her. I was crushed by this, and stopped all communication with her, with my best friend. It was so hard. We would see eachother on the weekends because we have the same group of friends, but I never really paid any attention to her. It was too hard to see her. A month later she saw me and said she needed to talk to me and had a lot to say. We went out to dinner the next day and she basically said she wanted to be my girlfriend. That before she wasn't fully invested in our relationship, but she is ready now and she missed me so much. That was about a month ago. Everything was perfect. We are both extremely happy. We are perfect for eachother and we both think that.
Here's the problem. We haven't had sex in a week, which isn't really a big deal. I asked her what was going on. She said she feels like she should want to have sex with me all the time because we are in this new relationship. (even though it is a "new" relationship we are way past the get to know you phase since we have been best friends for years.) She said she was always affectionate with other guys but for some reason she doesn't feel that way with me. She doesn't feel that passion.
Obviously, that hurt to hear that. Can she not get over the friendship hump? Can she not get over the fact that I came between her and her friend? She is 24 about to get her masters, working and doing work with school. Is she stressed, or is it a period in her life where she feels she doesn't need sex? Are we not right for eachother? She checked her weight the other day. Instead of her normal 115lbs she her weight was 124lbs. She wasn't happy about that. Does she not feel attractive? Does she feel she doesn't need to have sex with me to "keep" me hanging around? I don't know what going on and neither does she. So I have no answers and I need some advice. The physical part of the relationship isn't the most important, I know that. It is however something a relationship needs. Everything else between us is absolutely perfect and she tells me that. I'm just confused right now and don't understand. She wants to still be with me. Is she just in a funk? Thank your for reading this long story. I'm frustrated and confused with what she said the other night. I care about her so much. Thank you for your input guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 12:30 PM

625 posts, read 902,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtdphill View Post
My current girlfriend has been my best friend for the past few years. There is a long story of of our relationship in the past years that I think may be important for this post. Here it goes, it may be long but I would appreciate the advice.
6 years ago, when I was 22, I dated a girl for 2 years. I'll call her girl B. It lasted about a year too long. During this relationship I met this other girl, girl A. She was dating a guy that is was an acquaintance of mine. I was very attracted to her and spoke when we were all out. Her boyfriend became abusive to her, physically and emotionally. I broke up with girl B and soon became close to girl A. She also broke up with her boyfriend right around that time too. Both girls also became friends. I moved away and went off to the army. Girl A was one of the few people that kept contact with me. We would talk multiple times, weekly. She was also getting to be good friends with my ex, girl B. Girl A would always be excited to see me when I came home on leave. She would always make time for me no matter what she was doing and even come to the airport to pick me up. Well, the time came when I had to deploy overseas. She was the only friend that kept in touch with me on a very regular basis. We would facebook, send emails, skype, or gchat a couple times a week. We became very, very close. We started to get to know eachother on a personal and emotional level. She became my best friend! I finally returned home from overseas for good and was on my post deployment leave back with my friends and family. We were all out one night and we were being very flirty as usual. She pulled me outside and asked me what I thought of her. I told that she is my best friend and I want her to be more than that. Unfortunately, I lived across the country and knew that now wasn't the time to pursue anything. During the rest of the month we would cuddle and spoon through the night. We did kiss once, but she said she felt guilty because of her friendship with my ex, girl B. But we still continued to flirt and cuddle. It was almost as if we were in a relationship, minus the physical factor. A year later, I got out of the army and moved back. I lived near her, and we grew even closer. We started felling the strong emotional connection even more now that we were able to be around eachother more. We started kissing again. But, we stopped because my ex, girl B was now planning on moving back and moving in with girl A. We decide before B moves back we need to tell her that girl A and I have feelings for eachother and want to pursue a relationship. We decided I would call girl B, and tell her. She gets upset and says she is not moving back anymore. Girls A and B are still friends to this day. Anyways, girl A was mad at me and we don't talk for a week but then we started talking and hanging out again. So we start to pursue a relationship. We start being physical, and we are very comfortable with everything. Everything is perfect....for two weeks. I can tell something is different so I asked her. Since we are such close friends its very easy for us to communicate. She tells me she thinks her feelings aren't where mine are. She doesn't have the romantic feelings for me that I have for her. I didn't believe it and thought she was making up excuses because she was scared. I wrote her a letter and of what I thought about everything. I thought she was scared of commitment because she has been very hurt in the past by guys. I thought she was thinking I was going to eventually hurt her. I was crushed by this, and stopped all communication with her, with my best friend. It was so hard. We would see eachother on the weekends because we have the same group of friends, but I never really paid any attention to her. It was too hard to see her. A month later she saw me and said she needed to talk to me and had a lot to say. We went out to dinner the next day and she basically said she wanted to be my girlfriend. That before she wasn't fully invested in our relationship, but she is ready now and she missed me so much. That was about a month ago. Everything was perfect. We are both extremely happy. We are perfect for eachother and we both think that.
Here's the problem. We haven't had sex in a week, which isn't really a big deal. I asked her what was going on. She said she feels like she should want to have sex with me all the time because we are in this new relationship. (even though it is a "new" relationship we are way past the get to know you phase since we have been best friends for years.) She said she was always affectionate with other guys but for some reason she doesn't feel that way with me. She doesn't feel that passion.
Obviously, that hurt to hear that. Can she not get over the friendship hump? Can she not get over the fact that I came between her and her friend? She is 24 about to get her masters, working and doing work with school. Is she stressed, or is it a period in her life where she feels she doesn't need sex? Are we not right for eachother? She checked her weight the other day. Instead of her normal 115lbs she her weight was 124lbs. She wasn't happy about that. Does she not feel attractive? Does she feel she doesn't need to have sex with me to "keep" me hanging around? I don't know what going on and neither does she. So I have no answers and I need some advice. The physical part of the relationship isn't the most important, I know that. It is however something a relationship needs. Everything else between us is absolutely perfect and she tells me that. I'm just confused right now and don't understand. She wants to still be with me. Is she just in a funk? Thank your for reading this long story. I'm frustrated and confused with what she said the other night. I care about her so much. Thank you for your input guys.

Maybe she's pregnant....hint "weight gain". Anyway, seeing that I had to read this lengthy romance novel, you'd better take my advice Sgt Phill:
Here goes:

You cannot push for something that's not there. She's told you that before that she doesn't feel the attraction. I believe she's confused and just need to find her own way. She's 24 and needs to fly. Let her go and move on with your life. I know it's hard, but it's for the best. Why would you want to be with someone who doesn't reciprocate your feelings.
It's better to have loved and lost, than to never have love.....I know I know..it doesn't help.

Over time you'll get over it and find THE ONE . All the best and thanks for your service

Old 01-10-2012, 12:40 PM

6,032 posts, read 9,208,988 times
Didn't you post this already?

You are in the military, be more Alpha... move on and NEXT her.

Old 01-10-2012, 01:57 PM

4 posts, read 14,630 times
mystym:

I did let her fly, but a 6 weeks later she approached me and said that she did want to have a committed relationship with me. That we were right for eachother. That's what is confusing me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships