Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 06:21 PM

5,418 posts, read 9,239,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
The many convenient things that typically come along with marriage like childbirth? The sacrifice of the body, time, and energy to create a family? The convenient things like having to work full time, do the cooking and cleaning, and running of the household? But women should be further convenienced by having to having to deal with banks, drivers licenses, SS, work info, health insurance, etc, all the things that go along with a name change. C'mon now. As a married woman who kept my name, I simply stated that my name isn't Joe, nor is it Smith, and finally it's not Joe Smith (arbitrary names to be clear). I have a name. My degrees hold my name. My publications hold my name. Giving up one's name is a gift many women give to their husbands and family. One pretty large gift among many.

That said, I'll agree that many of you should not marry. Please, don't do any poor women the favor.
Sacrifices should be and are made when people get married, especially when children are involved. I would never expect a woman to do ALL the cooking and cleaning, sacrifice ALL of her time for making a family, or running the entire household by herself.

Relinquishing one's name is an inconvenience but as long as everyone is clear on what's going on and how to go about it, it can be done.

As an aside, I don't "expect" a woman to take my name, but there are certain things that might also be made easier if my wife were to take it.

Personally, if all her degrees and things were in her name, I would think that hyphenating or making her surname her new middle name would work just fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 06:34 PM

19,018 posts, read 25,300,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
Sacrifices should be and are made when people get married, especially when children are involved. I would never expect a woman to do ALL the cooking and cleaning, sacrifice ALL of her time for making a family, or running the entire household by herself.

Relinquishing one's name is an inconvenience but as long as everyone is clear on what's going on and how to go about it, it can be done.

As an aside, I don't "expect" a woman to take my name, but there are certain things that might also be made easier if my wife were to take it.

Personally, if all her degrees and things were in her name, I would think that hyphenating or making her surname her new middle name would work just fine.
Whatever the case. The assertion that men are doing women some big favor is a load of hooey.

Old 11-04-2011, 06:43 PM

5,418 posts, read 9,239,353 times
Quote:
Whatever the case. The assertion that men are doing women some big favor is a load of hooey.
Agreed. Divorce rates could be higher but somehow many of y'all manage to put up with us

Old 11-04-2011, 09:41 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,963,498 times
I took my husband's name for the reason that, for one, his surname is unusual/more interesting than my maiden name (lol, I know) and that my maiden surname name isn't actually my birth surname as I was adopted/renamed as an infant so it's not really reflective of my ethnic background/ancestry. I also feel closer to his family than my own. I did, however, end up making my maiden name my middle name. I would have just hyphenated both last names but that would have been a looooong name.

If my maiden name was actually my 'blood' surname indicative of my heritage I probably would not have changed it upon marriage. I even toyed with the idea of changing my surname back to what it was pre-adoption at one point, but ehhh, the drama (and possible hurt feelings) that would have ensued would not have been worth it.

Old 11-04-2011, 09:52 PM

48,723 posts, read 35,371,056 times
A LAW requiring name changes. I think not. A personal decision. Why does government thing it is needed here?

Old 11-04-2011, 10:00 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,474,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Vanderburgh View Post
I have a brother-in-law who took our last name because he likes us better than his own family. He didn't mention anything to them about it before the wedding, either, so there was quite a bit of shock on the other side of the aisle when they were presented as Mr. and Mrs.
Wow, that must've been quite the slap in their faces... Are they really as bad as to deserve it?

Old 11-04-2011, 11:26 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,801,875 times
I couldnt wait to change my name after our wedding. My husbands last name is short and common. My entire life I had a longer last name that spurred much ridicule and embarrassment because many couldnt pronounce it, much less spell it.

And its just soo nice to say it because my first name flows better when I say it out loud now...

But to each his own..I dont think brides should be forced to do this..It was my choice but if my last name was originally Hunter,Hilton or Kennedy, I probably wouldnt change it !

Old 11-05-2011, 01:37 AM

4,837 posts, read 8,889,344 times
Default News, Study finds women still prefer to take husband's last name.

...and his house, car, half his pre-tax income (he can pay the tax) and half his retirement funds.

To be accurate, some don't prefer to do this.

Old 11-05-2011, 01:39 AM

4,837 posts, read 8,889,344 times
Quote:
Agreed. 1/3 and rising are done with favors. Should be 1/2 by 2025.

Old 11-05-2011, 06:01 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,410,814 times
Here's an idea, why don't they just combine their last names? Like the tabloids already do with the first names of celebs. So if your name was Smith and her name was Brown, you could have 'Smown or Brith'. Lol, nah didn't think it was a good idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships