Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 06:56 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,757,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Men are programmed socially and genetically to express emotions through sex or anger. And they call us the crazy ones. HAHA!
Reject the programming...think outside the box...I've been doing that, my whole life

For examples of conditioning and how ppl can be artificially conditioned or programmed, just read "Brave New World", by Aldous Huxley. Except that instead of soma and the feelies, etc., as in BNW, today's men are given violent, warlike TV, fed a steady stream of explicit, graphic s*xual content, and other cultural programming all the way from young boyhood or adolescence. As young boys, their parents will tend to rebuke them strongly, if they are overly soft or try to show affection through such things as lots of hugging and kissing, beyond a certain age anyway. They are encouraged to engage in sports (described by some as "the same as war, just without bloodshed"). They are encouraged by society by default to be s*xually promiscuous and sleep around with as many girls as possible, rather than just wanting "that one special girl". But I *like* being overtly-affectionate and caring to ppl. I *like* and *cherish* dreaming of that one, special girl..."the one". And I *don't want* to sleep around with as many girls as possible...in fact, I only want "the one", in that respect.

I have rejected that default programming my whole life, as a male...and I will continue to do so
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 08:05 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,397,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilamx View Post
I want something in the middle. I don't want an overly emotional and sensitive man who cries for anything or is very easily affected (why would I want to date another girl?). But keeping all your emotions bottled up isn't healthy, like you stated. Those are the men who usually become violent all of a sudden or grow resentful over the years, and I don't want that either. I want someone who is tough and will be able to protect me but isn't afraid to pour out his emotions when necessary.
I agree with this post is because I would feel overwhelm with too much emotions, affections (whatever you call it). I know I need verbal affirmation and I can easily encourage (or hurt, eek) people, but too much affections put me in a uncomfortable position. I don't expect him to be the same either if that's the case.

Old 08-23-2011, 11:31 PM

7 posts, read 13,387 times
There is a middle ground! Ive dated both extremes and they are both annoying! Dated a guy who was too whiney and emotional (actually many emotional and whiney guys) and also dated guys who had an ego mask on....both were unsexy. A guy who mostly keeps his head on his shoulders, doesnt pout for attention, but lets his feelings go WHEN IT IS UNDERSTANDABLE...is sexy. I hate a pouty/whiney man, but a guy crying when it is a true occasion is understandable.

Old 08-24-2011, 06:20 AM

1,904 posts, read 2,986,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabman1 View Post
You guessed wrong. It isn't about fault as to what someone is attracted to, that is their busines.
Then why did you imply that the kind of women that are interested in mysterious guys are clueless bimbos?

Old 08-24-2011, 06:31 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,380,095 times
I'd definitely take the emotional guy. Men that never show emotions annoy the sh*t outta me. I find vulnerability and sensitivity appealing.

Old 08-24-2011, 07:21 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,875,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmorning777 View Post
A guy who mostly keeps his head on his shoulders, doesnt pout for attention, but lets his feelings go WHEN IT IS UNDERSTANDABLE...is sexy. I hate a pouty/whiney man, but a guy crying when it is a true occasion is understandable.
I think this is how I tend to be

Old 08-24-2011, 10:13 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,423,256 times
I don't mind if a guy is the type that never shows any emotions in front of his friends and the rest of the world. But he better not behave that way with me. I can't stand a man who never smiles at me. I deplore the negative energy some people have, and will not give him the time of day if he behaves that way in front of me.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:48 AM

346 posts, read 507,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the nation is still angry View Post
okay..... ladies and guys that like guys, which type of guy would you say is better? the guy that doesn't mind crying in front of you when he's sad about something or the guy that will just give you a and won't say anything to you. he'll just repress how he feels and keeps it to himself.

you know something. honestly, i wish i didn't train myself to hide certain emotions. i haven't cried in over 10 years because around 10 years ago when i was trying to be a tough guy, i thought that it was unmanly to . i would also train myself to not be happy or happy go luck. i thought it was cool to be either mad or i guess emotionless. i was moody as hell around that time and i still am a moody person now. repressing emotions and being pent up sucks.
I would say that there isn't a better choice, it's what works for the individual. That's why one person is a great match for another, but terrible for the girl next door. So accept how you deal with emotions, or perhaps work on yourself a bit if you think you would be a happier person if you could deal with your emotions more effectively.

Old 08-24-2011, 01:11 PM

2,650 posts, read 3,011,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging-Hetero View Post
Then why did you imply that the kind of women that are interested in mysterious guys are clueless bimbos?
I made no such implication and never spoke one word about who might be interested in such players. I said these are the type likely to fall prey to the player who is trying to score so if you use that group then maybe he is more successful. Reading is fundamental.

Old 08-25-2011, 11:22 AM

1,904 posts, read 2,986,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabman1 View Post
I made no such implication and never spoke one word about who might be interested in such players. I said these are the type likely to fall prey to the player who is trying to score so if you use that group then maybe he is more successful. Reading is fundamental.
Perhaps I misinterpreted your comment, but I can't help but remain skeptical, because your elaboration doesn't hold much water. I know a subset of women were labelled "clueless bimbos" for their interest, and that was the fault I picked up. No qualms though.

There's no correlation between the quality of a woman and the kind of guy she's attracted to (in respect to the extent to which he expresses his emotions). AGREE or DISAGREE?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships