Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 09:23 AM

44,252 posts, read 64,717,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I am in a relationship about 2 years, and it has been shaky for a while and we've been fighting a lot. Mainly due to her lack of respect to me and saying very rude things about me. It has been really droning and we fight quite often, and just a few days ago I have met a girl who has been really nice to me, and we've been getting along very well.

I'm not really asking what should I do to you guys.. but more.. how would you handle the situation?
#1. The other girl is irrelevant. Everyone is nice when you first meet them. Forget about the other girl when deciding what to do here.

#2. If your girlfriend is unhappy and is expressing why she is unhappy to you (and you decide that's 'rude' and 'boring'), then that's one thing. But if she is actually being mean and belittling and disrespectful, that's another. In the latter situation, I'd just end the relationship. I don't want to have anything to do with anyone who can't converse with me in a respectful manner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 09:26 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,698,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
#1. The other girl is irrelevant. Everyone is nice when you first meet them. Forget about the other girl when deciding what to do here.
Except, perhaps, to use her as proof that not ALL women are b*tches ...

Again, two sides to every story, but I've walked away from behavior better than that.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
Except, perhaps, to use her as proof that not ALL women are b*tches ...

Again, two sides to every story, but I've walked away from behavior better than that.
Well, almost NO women will let you see their bitchy side right away. Like most men won't let you see their cheating, penny-pinching side right away.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:29 AM

16,391 posts, read 31,088,609 times
Yeah, its not like I'm saying this other girl is perfect or anything, and I'm not making any decisions based on her, BUT she is really nice and it is nice being around someone who I have more things in common with and who actually says nice things about me!

Maybe she will turn into a jerk? Who knows? Who cares? I got more important things to worry about in my life than what someone can become.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:33 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,698,866 times
Quote:
Well, almost NO women will let you see their bitchy side right away. Like most men won't let you see their cheating, penny-pinching side right away.
True. OP said it's been 2 years - long enough for the real personality to come out - or to change.

Perhaps add that to the list of Endangered Qualities - Up-Front Honesty.

I see it as a roll of the dice when you enter a new relationship - you try to present your good side, sure, and cover your faults. The edge goes to the person with superior perception and analytical ability - as always.

If you don't have those, you're just a leaf in the river, swirling around endlessly and hoping the current takes you to a pleasant shore.

Old 06-27-2011, 10:25 AM

Nah. I'm really what-you-see-is-what-you-get. Life is too short to walk around buying into the stupid idea that there is someone out there with no faults, who is perfectly polite all the time, and who lives to kiss your feet day and night. So I don't claim to be that person, and I never looked for that person.

Also, since I have gotten to know most of the people I've been with PRIOR to developing a romantic relationship, there were rarely any hidden 'gems.'

Old 06-27-2011, 11:25 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,212,754 times
Quote:
Nah. I'm really what-you-see-is-what-you-get.
So am I and I agree with the rest of your post. All I need is a flexible person, which pretty much means a person who does not try to be perfect. The OPs girlfriend calling him names and putting him down is not a flexible person. She expects him to change for her and that shows disrespect. She has little regard for his feelings.

I feel like the OP is allowing the girlfriend to decide things are not working out but it is being dragged out. In this case, I agree with SifuPhil that the OP is just a leaf in the river letting things happen to him.

Old 06-27-2011, 11:33 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,872,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
^^^^

I'm always skeptical of relationship threads that blame the other person for all or most of the problems, but for the few cases that it is true there is no reason to put up with that type of behavior. Rudeness and belittling comments are an absolute dealbreaker. They only get worse with time and life is too short to dislike the partner you're with.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:14 PM

24,644 posts, read 38,812,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I am in a relationship about 2 years, and it has been shaky for a while and we've been fighting a lot. Mainly due to her lack of respect to me and saying very rude things about me. It has been really droning and we fight quite often, and just a few days ago I have met a girl who has been really nice to me, and we've been getting along very well.

I'm not really asking what should I do to you guys.. but more.. how would you handle the situation?
Easy. Ditch the one you're with now and look for other relationships, such as the girl you say has been really nice to you.

This is a no-brainer.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:20 PM

24,644 posts, read 38,812,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
Listen, if you're already having these issues they are only going to get worse!

Cut the strings now before marriage and kids enter.

You owe that to yourself and her!!!!

You are NOT well matched if you're fighting a lot.
This is very, very true, especially the bolded. Take this from one who knows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships