Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 01:32 PM

9,347 posts, read 20,119,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carra View Post
Well to be fair, it IS obviously inferior. Mostly anyone who has ever been in a good relationship will tell you this: in a (healthy) relationship you can have emotional and personal experiences that you can never reach alone, no matter how close you are to friends or family.

Now, considering it "shameful" is another completely different (and unhealthy) thing.

wow..... being alone is INFERIOR to being in a relationship?? how do you figure??

i have been in good, long term relationships and am currently alone.... and plan to remain that way.... i am quite content with myself, my pets and my friends and feel no need to pursue another relationship.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 03:00 PM

404 posts, read 704,207 times
No offense latetotheparty, but are you sure your relationships were actually good? If you were no happier with your partners than you are alone, then why did you stay with them? I guess they must have given you something you could not have alone at some point... When most people would prefer being in a relationship, it's for a reason.

Old 03-10-2011, 03:30 PM

5,989 posts, read 10,527,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carra View Post
No offense latetotheparty, but are you sure your relationships were actually good? If you were no happier with your partners than you are alone, then why did you stay with them? I guess they must have given you something you could not have alone at some point... When most people would prefer being in a relationship, it's for a reason.
The key is in what you said - most people would prefer being in a relationship. Some do not, some are no happier. Yes, a great relationship is wonderful, but no matter how good, it's not always better for everyone. Some people are indeed happier alone, or have experienced happines both in relationships and alone. They are different, but one is not necessarily better than the other. If being in one was so much better, then every single person would be actively seeking one. It seems that many are not.

Old 03-10-2011, 04:16 PM

404 posts, read 704,207 times
You do have a point TaoistDude. I guess we are always making the same mistake: trying to convince other people that what works for oneself will work for everybody else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships