Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2011, 11:00 AM

179 posts, read 294,621 times

Advertisements

i'm terrible at dating..

i either under-read or over-read signals. i don't like games or "rules."

i've been casually seeing a very nice fellow. he's got a good job, he's kind, considerate, he is broadening my horizons, and he is a perfect, perfect gentleman (and that is not a term i use often or lightly these days).

we met online, had coffee... he was nice, but from my perspective he wasn't that into it. low and behold he wants to get together again. i find him attractive, but not my "usual type." we have since gone out a handful of times, still very much "getting to know you."

he went on a mini-vacation and texted me/sent me pics the whole time. we spent 7hrs together one night and he called the next day wanting to see me already.

i'm in no rush with him, i like things the way they are... but would like to know if he friend-zoned me. it has been a long time since i made a new platonic male friend... they are all from like 10 years ago!
a friend suggested i talk to other guys when i'm with him... this confuses me. she said it will indicate whether he is jealous or not, and may get him to make the next step?
i feel like that is too much game playing.

i would like to ask him directly but a number of things are holding me back:
1. i'm honestly ok with either option, friendship or dating and i don't want to ruin any chances at a friendship by pushing the issue
2. he's an old-school gentleman, i doubt he rushes into anything
3. i'm having fun with him right now the way things are, and don't want to put pressure where there doesn't need to be any.

i guess i'm asking this: if i think he's flirting, do i flirt back? and am i reading too much into his actions (texting me while on vacation and wanting to see me again ASAP after a long date)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 11:02 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,342,800 times
Dating is challenging for most. It just is what it is and it is always changing. U just got to get in there do the best u can with as long as u want to deal with it. "If at first u don't succeed try, try again.."

Old 03-01-2011, 11:33 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,477,004 times
Don't play games with him by "talking to other men when you're with him" to make him jealous. Why would you do that? It's silly and childish. Why not be direct with someone?

I think the relationship is much too new to try to define anything. Just enjoy his company. What is the need to put him in a "friend" category, or "potential boyfriend" category? Why do that? Do you have some kind of useless deadline or something? In a rush?

Don't put unnecessary pressure on yourself OR him to put a label on your "getting to know you phase".

Simply go out and enjoy his company. Let things develop normally without the "ok he said he wants to be more than friends" then get all stirred up and flustered over "do I want more from him"?

Go out with the guy, and be friends. If things develop it will take its natural course without the stress over "defining" what you've got this early in the relationship.

Old 03-01-2011, 12:08 PM

thank you lucky gem!

i agree completely about talking to other guys and trying to make him jealous. i just don't get it... i've never been a game player and i get confused when people do it/tell me to-- at times i feel like maybe i haven't played the games when it's been expected of me. i don't know.

and you're right, i shouldn't worry about defining anything. i am not on a deadline. i intended to stop dating, actually... i met this guy b/c i thought he would be a good friend, theater/art gallery/jazz buddy. i got confused when i thought he was flirting with me, lol. i felt the need to decide if i wanted to flirt back, if i would be open to dating him, etc etc. i'll blame my intense need to be in control.

but you've provided a much needed reality check, thank you

Old 03-01-2011, 07:57 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,309,922 times
LuckyGem is right on! good advice!

Old 03-01-2011, 08:37 PM

724 posts, read 1,687,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aroux View Post
we spent 7hrs together one night and he called the next day wanting to see me already.
Sounds like he's interested. Good luck.

Old 03-02-2011, 12:47 PM

5,077 posts, read 14,656,459 times
Stop overanalyzing and just go with what feels comfortable.

Old 03-02-2011, 01:01 PM

1,695 posts, read 4,681,746 times
dont play games by talking to other guys- thats childish and immature. youre not 14, dont act like you are

i would just let things take their natural course. seems like he likes you- sending you pics from vacation, texting, calling- all good signs.

just relax and see where it goes.

its not a race.

Old 03-02-2011, 04:24 PM

thanks! you all are right.

i needed to hear the validation that i should not be playing games. it didn't sit right, but when a close friend suggests it... well, maybe it has merit. in this case, i'm glad it doesn't!!

yes, i definitely need to stop over-analyzing, if you look it up in the dictionary my pic is next to it. LOL everything was fine for me until i thought he was flirting and i felt i needed to be "prepared"

chill is the word. or at least as chill as i can be.

Old 03-03-2011, 01:31 AM

1,163 posts, read 1,998,010 times
Since he's been mentioning that he wants to see you again and is keeping good contact with you, it definitely does sound like the guy is interested in you. Just relax and enjoy the initial stages of dating; its fun! So what if he's not your usual "type"? If it works out, then great; if not, find someone more on your wavelength next time. Don't sweat it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships