Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 11:04 AM

1,574 posts, read 5,114,620 times

Advertisements

Who is from a big city and dated someone from a small town (not suburb)? Or vice-versa?
How did it end up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 11:13 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,851,256 times
I'm a big city guy and have dated a couple girls who lived in small(er) towns.

When I lived in Seattle, I dated two women who lived a bit over an hour out in smaller cities.

It was a lot of fun for the most part. We both had to kind of adapt to one anothers' sensibilities; I think it was easier for me because I did spend a lot of my childhood in small towns and military bases. One of my grandfathers was a rancher and my dad grew up on farms in the South and then Idaho, so I got my first rifle when I was 9, and when we went to visit the grandparents, I was allowed to drive when I was 11-12 since that's just what kids did out there.

I took one of them to a punk show, and she took me line dancing - I remembered how to line- and square-dance pretty quick, and everyone there was friendly and had a good laugh about how the city boy with the fancy converible could actually dance.

I introduced them to beers other than Bud, Coors, and Corona ("Here, try this Dogfish Head... it's like drinking two beers at once!") and vegetarian ethnic food, and with one of the gals, we'd go shoot rifles and 4x4 (in her truck ), but then I'd take her back to the city and we'd get Chinese.

It was nice, and I'd probably still be in a relationship with the latter gal if I hadn't moved back to CA. The first gal left me to get back with her ex-husband/baby-daddy :/

Old 02-02-2011, 03:25 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,603,599 times
I grew up in LA but spent a lot of time in Yosemite. At 30 years of age I moved to Yosemite and met my wife who lived in a small town of 800. We lived together a few years before I moved back to LA. In 2000 she gave me a call, she came down and visited - we married a few months later.

Looks like we may be moving back to Yosemite this year.

Small town girls are easier to approach and talk to. My wife loves to go out camping and shooting as much as I do. Our holidays to include ammo. The family shoot out at easter and July 4th. Thanksgiving turkey shoot. Xmas reindeer hunt (kidding).

Old 02-02-2011, 04:16 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
My boyfriend grew up urban. He only lived in cities, until he was thirty, and we bought a house in a suburb of a large Midwestern metro. He has lived in Buffalo, NY, Boston, MA, New York City, and Kansas City, with short-term job placements in Los Angeles, Minneapolis, and Indianapolis.

I grew up on a farm, on a rural homestead where the closest community was a village of 350 people, about 4 miles away. The nearest community with services and any retail at all other than a farm shop was a town of 7,000, ten miles away, and that's where I went to high school. I went to college in a small town of about 10,000, and after college, I moved to a metro of nine million, where I lived for a couple of years. Then I went back to my former community of 7,000, and that's where I was living when I first met my boyfriend.

He's city by upbringing, I'm rural/small town, by upbringing. When we first moved in together, we lived in the city center of a metro with a population of 2 million. About a year and a half ago, we bought a house in a suburban community bordering that city, and the pop. here is about 100,000.

My boyfriend cherishes our annual summer vacations to my parents' farm, and loves going there for holidays (we trade off...his side one year, my side the next). Likewise, I love it when we go visit his dad in Manhattan.

It's great, we get the best of all worlds. We live in a midsize metro, and we get to visit family in a huge city and on a remote farm.

Old 02-02-2011, 04:26 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
For the record, while the "rural girl" stereotype is cute, I have to confess that despite growing up surrounded by corn fields and 4-H and FFA, I've never seriously line danced in my life (got dragged along a few times, but it's not my thing, and I'm not a big country music fan- my tastes run more to Celtic music, jazz, and lesbian folk rock). My family doesn't shoot or hunt (I fired a gun for the first time in my life about 3 months ago, it was a Civil War era antique), we're not into NASCAR, and we don't actually farm as primary employment, just personal use truck garden/orchard and small-scale livestock just for us. I never owned a pickup truck, nobody in my family votes Republican, and all of us are college educated, some with master's degrees. I've never owned a pair of cowboy boots, I don't wear gingham check plaid, and I don't have big hair.

My boyfriend, or anybody who knows me, would never peg me for the "country bumpkin" type. Until I take 'em to a demolition derby, a rodeo, or a roadhouse way out on a gravel road somewhere.

Old 02-04-2011, 11:14 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,270,967 times
small town girl met big city boy......35 years and 4 kids later still going strong!

Old 12-02-2012, 03:28 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,446,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
Who is from a big city and dated someone from a small town (not suburb)? Or vice-versa?
How did it end up?
Depends on what you mean by a big city. I'm from a city of 199,000, with a metro of 600,000. I've been married to someone from a small town of 1,000 for 14 years.

I did actually live there for a year, it was an interesting experience but I doubt I'd do it again. She did want to live in my hometown at one point. We've actually settled in a place much larger than where I'm from.

Old 12-02-2012, 04:36 PM

904 posts, read 1,381,582 times
If you Portland, OR, counts as big city, then yes. My first wife was from a small-town in SE Ohio. That marriage lasted almost 25 years.

Old 12-02-2012, 04:40 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
I don't see how someone from a cosmopolitan environment can fit with someone from a parochial environment, unless the latter person has lived in a big city and traveled a bit. But it's possible other factors of personality can trump those differences.

Old 12-02-2012, 04:51 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,446,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I don't see how someone from a cosmopolitan environment can fit with someone from a parochial environment, unless the latter person has lived in a big city and traveled a bit. But it's possible other factors of personality can trump those differences.
Interesting that you say that because that did play a part. She was into DC. I hadn't visited before but ended up liking it. That's not where we live now but you have a point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships