Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 09:19 AM

2,631 posts, read 7,015,548 times

Advertisements

I'm back here again...

Me and my wife are still seperated. She resied in N.c. me in CT.

I believe my wife divorced me without notifying me. She may have mailed the divorce documents to a wrong address and got the decision in court. I called the town hall which we got married in they didn't have a clue. Called the local courthouse they didn't have a clue. They keep checking their jurisdiction to see if anything is filed but the monkeys don't understand she would have filed in a state I would not know about. Her residency is"falsely established" in multiple states thanks to her family. Thats why Im checking to see if my marital status changed. I called Prepaid legal service (which Im cancelling today) their attorneys dont even know how find out my marital status.

So how do I check to see if I'm married or not?

I really didn't think it wasgoing to be this difficult to find out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 10:03 AM

36,514 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Honey,
She could not have obtained a divorce in that time frame without your knowledge. An attempt must be made to have you served. You can go to the state dept. of vital records and get a copy of birth, marriage, divorce records.

Old 10-08-2010, 10:11 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
If she didn't know where you were, likely the lawyer had something published somewhere and you're divorced - but it would be best to find out. Often divorce information is online. If you know where she is, it shouldn't be hard to find out.

Old 10-08-2010, 10:16 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
I'm back here again...

Me and my wife are still seperated. She resied in N.c. me in CT.

I believe my wife divorced me without notifying me. She may have mailed the divorce documents to a wrong address and got the decision in court. I called the town hall which we got married in they didn't have a clue. Called the local courthouse they didn't have a clue. They keep checking their jurisdiction to see if anything is filed but the monkeys don't understand she would have filed in a state I would not know about. Her residency is"falsely established" in multiple states thanks to her family. Thats why Im checking to see if my marital status changed. I called Prepaid legal service (which Im cancelling today) their attorneys dont even know how find out my marital status.

So how do I check to see if I'm married or not?

I really didn't think it wasgoing to be this difficult to find out
It takes a year to get divorced in NC, unless she falsified documents I doubt you are really divorced.

But honestly, if she HAD divorced you I would think you'd be glad to have it over - this relationship sounds like a nightmare!

Try contacting the Attorney Generals office in every state she has a false address in and see if they can direct you to how to find out for sure.

Old 10-08-2010, 10:25 AM

36,514 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Yep. For no-fault you must be seperated one yr. You stated in sept. you had been seperated 7 months. She would need to prove cause otherwise. I was under the impression you wanted her to file. Another reason you should go ahead and initiate proceedings.

Old 10-08-2010, 10:33 AM

2,631 posts, read 7,015,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Honey,
She could not have obtained a divorce in that time frame without your knowledge. An attempt must be made to have you served. You can go to the state dept. of vital records and get a copy of birth, marriage, divorce records.

Nothing they were no help. I'm just trying to find out if I'm single or not.
I can't understand...all these clerks, representatives...don't know jack about their own proffession or trade.

If I speed and do 90 mph in a 30 mph zone and the police pull me over. They will do a background check on any prior convictions and also see if Im currently married.

I want that type of check done. All I want is my marital status.

Thankyou for your input

Old 10-08-2010, 10:40 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,771,359 times
Have her served. In order to proceed the plaintiff needs a certificate of service or some for of documentation stating you have been served with divorce papers.

I'd serve her through the CT courts. If reasonable attempts to have her served have failed I am guessing the judge could issue a decree in absentia.

Old 10-08-2010, 10:41 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,771,359 times
Quote:
I can't understand...all these clerks, representatives...don't know jack about their own proffession or trade.

If I speed and do 90 mph in a 30 mph zone and the police pull me over. They will do a background check on any prior convictions and also see if Im currently married.

Thankyou for your input
Where was your marriage license issued? Who performed the ceremony? Go to the source.

Old 10-08-2010, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
Where was your marriage license issued? Who performed the ceremony? Go to the source.
I'm afraid that really won't help, as you can get married in one state and divorced in another and the two don't communicate with one another this info.

Old 10-08-2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:

Thankyou for your input

Like I said, contact the Attorney General's office in NC and let them direct you.

OR, hire a private investigator (plan to spend several hundred dollars) and let them track it all down for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships