Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 10:56 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,356,717 times

Advertisements

This came up in another thread but I think it warrants its own discussion.

Posters like the one below have suggested that black women date outside of their race to better their odds for getting married. But the poster has also concluded that black women aren't willing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
How many could find a husband of another race but may not do so because of their own beliefs or pressures from their race peers, family, etc.? If they decide to go along with what others say, well, it is a matter of choices and choices do bring certain results.
IMO, black women are not as reluctant to date outside the race as people think. However we often perceive that non-black men are not interested in us. If they don't look our way, talk to us, let alone ask us out, how can there be a marriage

I wonder ...
Do non-black men seriously consider marrying black women? My experience has been that they feel too much pressure from family, peers and career (the "right" wife is often an asset) that black women -- no matter how refined they are -- are not considered. The exceptions I've seen generally involve black women marrying non-American white men. Why is that?

If a black woman is smart, attractive to you, supports herself, and has values similar to your own, would you consider marrying her? Why or why not?

PLEASE: When responding I ask that you DO NOT engage in idle chatter about women who are ghetto trash, gold diggers, want "ballers," have multiple out-of-wedlock kids, etc. That is not the type of woman under consideration here.

Old 06-19-2010, 11:00 AM

5,324 posts, read 6,106,553 times
Im a white guy whos attracted to all races i wouldnt mind dating a black girl but there is a stereotype as you said that black Women as a whole stay wit their own race more then any other group/gender..

Observing different couples thats also what it looks like...I have seen black women with other races but its the exception not the norm..

Old 06-19-2010, 11:15 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,356,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT1980 View Post
Im a white guy whos attracted to all races i wouldnt mind dating a black girl but there is a stereotype ...
Would your impression that black women stay with their own race more then any other group prevent you from striking up a conversation with her? She might be interested and you'd never know

Old 06-19-2010, 11:22 AM

3,100 posts, read 3,305,241 times
In all honesty, most dudes that are non-black seem to have this notion that most black chicks are pretty standoffish in general. Some are to an extent, but it's a broad brush stroke.

Old 06-19-2010, 11:28 AM

52,307 posts, read 52,764,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
Would your impression that black women stay with their own race more then any other group prevent you from striking up a conversation with her? She might be interested and you'd never know
That's sort of how it appears to me, like black women aren't interested in white guys.

Old 06-19-2010, 11:32 AM

5,324 posts, read 6,106,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
Fair point i gues that stereotype has held me back from approaching..

Im just not around allot..Well im in Queens NY which is pretty diverse place but my circle of friends is mostly white..

Plus im pretty shy with most women so add that in with not around allot of black women and chances have been slim in having a relationship with one

Old 06-19-2010, 11:41 AM

437 posts, read 675,432 times
However we often perceive that non-black men are not interested in us. If they don't look our way, talk to us, let alone ask us out, how can there be a marriage

Could you, oh I dunno, actually try to initiate contact with other men? It seems as if that's too much to ask "modern", "strong", and "independent" ladies these days. So much for equality...

Anyway, as someone who has dated women of many races, here are my takes. Some are generalities and even stereotypes but experience tends to bear this out:

1. Black women tend to be more agressive. Some men find this to be a turn off.

2. Obesity in general is up but black women seem to not find an issue with their weight, at least not as much compared to weight women. Most men just aren't into "bootylicious."

3. I do not find black women, in general, to be attractive. I like women with long and glossy hair, not nappy. You can not help the hair you have, I understand that, but the type of hair most black women sport does not attract me. Also, their features tend to be a tad blunt and I like fine featured women

4. As a percentage, there are more single mothers whom are black compared to those who are white- that's a turn off for a man.

Old 06-19-2010, 11:42 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,311,322 times
Here in the Portland-Metro area you will see a lot of black women with white guys. Yes, I know ~ Portland is one of the "whittest" cities in the US; ironically, it's also among the highest for mixed relationships. As a mass people here really don't care about mixed-race unions, it's just the way it is.

And based on that, I think more black women would be open to dating white men with the right opportunity. It probably isn't as easy for those who live in predominantly black communities.

This reminds me of a conversation I had with a co-worker a couple of days ago. She's a black woman in her 30's and she admitted to me that she prefers white men and that's the way it is. She's definitely not slim but quite beautiful and she's very smart and confident. She knows how to make friends easily. Both her husbands were not black. She doesn't fully agree with me ~ and maybe I'm wrong ~ but I still think it's largely because she was raised in all-white communities. It's what she knew. Very same thing with a friend of my daughter, who also married a white man.

Old 06-19-2010, 11:43 AM

4,941 posts, read 8,331,120 times
It's socially accepted and advertised via media for non-black women to date outside of their race. I mean it's in all the videos, movies, talk shows.....non-black women seem to be viewed as more willing to date outside of their race. Also, a social stigma is present in the black community that being with a white man is "selling out" their race. Such as a black man being with a white woman is viewed as a "prize" by some, while a white man being with a black woman is viewed as some form of "modern day slavery". We all know it NOT to be true however, you can't deny some stereotypes are well embedded in people, particularly in certain regions of the country.

Then you have the "attitude" or "strong black woman" stereotype. It can be very indimidating to men of other races because to them it may automatically mean you are an "argumentative woman" and they chose not do deal with it.

So, that leaves the few men that will actually venture out in despite of it all and ask a black woman out. And THAT'S the problem.....too few are willing to do so.

Old 06-19-2010, 11:43 AM

2,652 posts, read 4,800,971 times
Black women don't date outside their race as much as we should. We sit and wait for the black prince charming. The problem is most of us are chasing the same black man. The suited and well paid guy.

I've always dated black. I'm now open to dating white guys.

I'm sick of seeing these women on tv complaining about I don't have ... When can I get ... BOOHOO! Do something about your situation.

I think with white guys, we need a different from bait. Like some have said, they think black women are not interested.

White men go forth and seek out a black women. You may be pleasantly surprised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships