Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2020, 06:38 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,929,380 times

Advertisements

I need help with my stir frying. They taste good, but look unappealing. They meat pieces combined with sauce look like they have been glued together. The meat and sauce's color looks almost brown to grayish. Is just not dark enough like it is caramelized.

Is the sauce too thick, therefore using too much cornstarch? Am I adding too much rice wine in the middle? Should I not velvet meat with whole egg and instead use whites only? Something tells me it is yoke because it sort of does remind me of scrambled eggs.

I am literally following this guy step for step

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyS8ycmGs1U
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2020, 07:39 PM

23,590 posts, read 70,367,145 times
Off the top of my head:

Peanut oil? NOT canola or other. Make sure burner is hot enough.

The egg makes little sense to me. Look at the cornstarch slurry that is the finisher. It is thin. No egg there. Sauce color -hit the sugar with heat early, some soy sauce has more color than others.

I cook carrot longer than broc, and use steam instead of boil. YMMV

Old 08-17-2020, 08:04 PM

19,432 posts, read 27,815,202 times
Yes to egg whites only for velveting - and I'll bet you're using too much cornstarch at that step. And I'm betting you're using the wrong kind of pan, not getting it hot enough. Probably cooking the neat and veg all at one time?

Sorry, but I quit watching this video when he VC added THAT much oil to the uncooked beef. (And it wasn't sesame oil)

Try this video for some basic techniques. https://youtu.be/qS0SGI2uAvw

Old 08-17-2020, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Off the top of my head:

Peanut oil? NOT canola or other. Make sure burner is hot enough.

The egg makes little sense to me. Look at the cornstarch slurry that is the finisher. It is thin. No egg there. Sauce color -hit the sugar with heat early, some soy sauce has more color than others.

I cook carrot longer than broc, and use steam instead of boil. YMMV
The egg is used in the marinating/velveting phase.

I use vegetable oil. Is that no good ?

Old 08-17-2020, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Yes to egg whites only for velveting - and I'll bet you're using too much cornstarch at that step. And I'm betting you're using the wrong kind of pan, not getting it hot enough. Probably cooking the neat and veg all at one time?

Sorry, but I quit watching this video when he VC added THAT much oil to the uncooked beef. (And it wasn't sesame oil)

Try this video for some basic techniques. https://youtu.be/qS0SGI2uAvw
I hate having to waste a good yolk though. I tend to use as much cornstarch like I am trying to flour each and every part of the slices.

I am using am Imusa wok you get at Target. Dont remember if non stick, but then again all my non sticks seem to stick anyways.

I usually blanch the veggies in boiling water, and let it dry off. I mix in veggies at the end and give good stir.

Old 08-17-2020, 08:54 PM

23,590 posts, read 70,367,145 times
Veg oil is soy or rarely cottonseed. Peanut has a higher smoke point. Sesame oil - dunno, personally, in most dishes with strong flavor I haven't noticed it added that much.

That again seems to me like a lot of cornstarch in the totality of the cooking. It ain't fried chicken.

Jkgourmet gives good advice.

Old 08-18-2020, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
The egg is used in the marinating/velveting phase.

I use vegetable oil. Is that no good ?
Not egg yoke. Just egg white, corn starch for velveting. A flavoring is optional, but most common are soy sauce or rice wine (NOT the same as rice vinegar!)

I've read about velveting techniques using baking soda. Personally, I wasn't pleased with the results on meat. I do use it when I make shrimp.

There is actually another step to velveting that many (most?) Asian restaurants employ: blanching the meat after marinating. I've done it a few times, and it does make the meat (chicken and pork, I never use beef in stir fry) more tender. But unless I have the pot of boiling water already going, I dont bother. (like if I'm making noodles instead of rice) )

You need oil to cook the stir fry, not at the marinating/velveting stage. Vegetable, peanut or canola oil is fine for that; all have high smoke points. Peanut is the most common.

Old 08-18-2020, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
I hate having to waste a good yolk though. I tend to use as much cornstarch like I am trying to flour each and every part of the slices.
I get that you dont want to waste a good egg yolks, but it wont work with velveting. If you dont take it out, I'd suggest skipping velveting entirely. (But let's get real - depending on where I'm shopping, I buy eggs for 65 cents to a $1.25 a dozen. At most, that egg yolk cost me a dime.)

You're using way too much cornstarch.

Old 08-18-2020, 08:47 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,693,060 times
You can stir fry meat in a very light dusting of plain, dry cornstarch. Do not use too much starch! Shake the pieces to get rid of excess before putting in the hot oil. Fry veggies first (NO starch), remove from pan, then fry the meat till the outsides are seared and then toss in the veggies for a few moments. I sometimes made a thin slurry of cornstarch, water, soy sauce, cooking sherry, and spices to mix in as a final step, but this is optional. Stir fries taste good with just the meat, veggies, and oil providing flavor and texture. You can add soy sauce to taste on the plated serving.

Egg yolk in the coating probably is making the food look gray. Just don’t do it.

Best oil to use: high-heat peanut oil.

Do NOT use olive oil or sesame oil to stir fry because they will burn, or turn nasty. They are not meant for high-heat frying. Sesame oil added to the plated food as flavoring (or floated on bowls of soup) is fine. Some olive oil labels say they can be used for “saute” but that does not mean high-heat stir fry!

Last edited by pikabike; 08-18-2020 at 09:02 AM..

Old 08-18-2020, 08:55 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,564,393 times
Click the pinned comment below the video for the recipe.

easy beef and broccoli
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes