Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 07:06 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,812,146 times

Advertisements

Do any of you have a good and flavorful recipe for fried rice? I've look everywhere and nothing seems appeasing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 11:02 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,455,939 times
The hippie gourmet's vegetable fried rice is one of my favorites. If you google it you can watch the episode where he prepares this dish. My niece wants me to make this for her every time she visits, but with corn only for the veg.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:36 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,203,287 times
I make a very large pan of rice so it can sit in the fridge a day or two before I make fried rice.

3 T. Vegetable oil
2 lg eggs, beaten
1 c. diced meat; pork, chicken, shrimp I leave whole tails cut off
1/2 c. green onions, sliced (use green parts also)
3 c. cooked rice, cooled
1 T. Soy sauce
1/2 t. Sesame seed oil

In large skillet or wok heat 1 T. oil over medium heat. Add eggs & cook without stirring until set. Invert skillet over cutting board to remove cooked eggs. Cut into 1 1/2"x 1/2" strips I dab with paper towel to remove any excess oil then set aside. In same skillet heat remaining oil over medium high heat. Stir fry meat if raw, if precooked stir fry onions at same time as precooked meat for 3 minutes or until tender. Stir in cooked rice & egg strips,(or other add ins below) sprinkle with soy sauce & stir well to mix, heat through then add sesame seed oil mix throughly I serve with rice noodles for crunch.

This is only a guide line I never follow a recipe when I make mine. You can add diced up mushrooms, cooked carrots, peas for color too. I've used regular white or yellow onions if I don't have green onions on hand.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:44 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,064,362 times
I do what Jaxson does but I add already-steamed broccoli and sirarcha sauce for kick.

Oh, and I use coconut oil instead of vegetable oil.

And I've never measured -- I just throw it all in.

But aside from that, it's identical to Jaxson's.

Old 08-15-2012, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I do what Jaxson does but I add already-steamed broccoli and sirarcha sauce for kick.

Oh, and I use coconut oil instead of vegetable oil.

And I've never measured -- I just throw it all in.

But aside from that, it's identical to Jaxson's.
We're twins!

I never measure either I had to give a guestimation I've used peanut & coconut oil also.

Old 08-15-2012, 05:58 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,824,301 times
I make bacon fried rice without using a recipe. I don't cook the eggs first, just make a big well in the rice after it is cooked, put in a dab of butter, pour in the eggs, cook and the chop up and mix with the rest. I also mix in broccoli slaw to add a veg to the rice.

Old 08-15-2012, 06:11 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,064,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
We're twins!

I never measure either I had to give a guestimation I've used peanut & coconut oil also.
YAY!!!!! Let's share clothes and do each other's hair, OK?!

Old 08-15-2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:
OK!

Old 08-15-2012, 08:13 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,578,540 times
Default You.....

Quote:

made me laugh out loud when I read this.....God, what a great sense of humor you have.....I like that in a cyberfriend living in a nebulous data universe in the middle of nowhere - who also subscribes to CD!!!!!

Old 08-16-2012, 03:45 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,844,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
I make a very large pan of rice so it can sit in the fridge a day or two before I make fried rice.

3 T. Vegetable oil
2 lg eggs, beaten
1 c. diced meat; pork, chicken, shrimp I leave whole tails cut off
1/2 c. green onions, sliced (use green parts also)
3 c. cooked rice, cooled
1 T. Soy sauce
1/2 t. Sesame seed oil

In large skillet or wok heat 1 T. oil over medium heat. Add eggs & cook without stirring until set. Invert skillet over cutting board to remove cooked eggs. Cut into 1 1/2"x 1/2" strips I dab with paper towel to remove any excess oil then set aside. In same skillet heat remaining oil over medium high heat. Stir fry meat if raw, if precooked stir fry onions at same time as precooked meat for 3 minutes or until tender. Stir in cooked rice & egg strips,(or other add ins below) sprinkle with soy sauce & stir well to mix, heat through then add sesame seed oil mix throughly I serve with rice noodles for crunch.

This is only a guide line I never follow a recipe when I make mine. You can add diced up mushrooms, cooked carrots, peas for color too. I've used regular white or yellow onions if I don't have green onions on hand.

Add some diced cooked bacon. Seriously. I'm not a bacon fanatic, but it makes it awesome.
Save 1 tablespoon of bacon drippings and fry your rice in the bacon fat ( not the oil). OMG its so good. When they ask what you did, say "I dunno. Just threw some stuff together."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes