Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 03:45 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,855,938 times

Advertisements

I disdain them, can make it ever so cheap at home

Buy 1 loaf store boight french bread
Cheese
Mayo
Mustard
Salt
Pepper
Pickles
Cucumber
Sweet onion
Green pepppers
Assorted sandwich meats (Turkey, ham. Bologna, etc.
Tomato
Etc.

Cut French bread into a 1/2 loaf .. split bread down the middle into two pieces with a small attachment holding them together. Bascially make a "clamshell". You can dig the center out of the "clamshell" to be able to add more ingredients/stuffin's.

Toast it if you want.

Add MAyo and mustard and most of anything from the list

Smash it together and cut into quarters.

It's awesome.

I get 4 sandwiches out of 1 loaf. Beats buying the same thing from the cafeteria for 4 dollars.

Last edited by 70Ford; 08-04-2012 at 04:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2012, 05:13 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,970,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
I disdain them, can make it ever so cheap at home

Buy 1 loaf store boight french bread
Cheese
Mayo
Mustard
Salt
Pepper
Pickles
Cucumber
Sweet onion
Green pepppers
Assorted sandwich meats (Turkey, ham. Bologna, etc.
Tomato
Etc.

Cut French bread into a 1/2 loaf .. split bread down the middle into two pieces with a small attachment holding them together. Bascially make a "clamshell". You can dig the center out of the "clamshell" to be able to add more ingredients/stuffin's.

Toast it if you want.

Add MAyo and mustard and most of anything from the list

Smash it together and cut into quarters.

It's awesome.

I get 4 sandwiches out of 1 loaf. Beats buying the same thing from the cafeteria for 4 dollars.
Well I think there are times when grabbing one is fine and some are pretty good, but like many foods, if you want to take the time, they are always better and cheaper made at home. I have found Subway just keeps going down hill, more all the time. Everytime they add a new sandwhich it seems the other fillers get worse. We do have Casey's here: they are ok, no, not like homemade, but better than Subsay. Years ago, in Arcadia Ca there were two places that really did make outstanding subs, poor boys, whatever you want to call them: actually there were 3 places. They are all long gone and the quality they is offered now, I am sure is very different.

Old 08-04-2012, 07:18 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,876,612 times
I don't buy grocery store sandwiches, but if I need to grab a sandwich I go to Jimmy John's or Firehouse Subs. They both are very good, at least in this area. They use high quality ingredients and bake their own bread. The employees are enthusiastic and helpful.

The Subway locations around here have gone from bad to worse. Limp, watery, tasteless veggies and indifferent employees who act like they are doing you a favor to prepare a sandwich. The bread always seems to be dry.

Old 08-04-2012, 07:23 AM

1,671 posts, read 2,030,229 times
^^^ what Missi said

Old 08-04-2012, 08:26 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,624,265 times
I never did find subway to be worth a s---. tastes like was made on a subway floor

Fresh, local, and homemade will always win, imho. takes 10 min to make one. if i don't have 10 min then i don't eat. i tend to find the time.

Old 08-04-2012, 08:52 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,496,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
The Subway locations around here have gone from bad to worse. Limp, watery, tasteless veggies and indifferent employees who act like they are doing you a favor to prepare a sandwich. The bread always seems to be dry.
Huh? They don't bake their own bread? I don't understand. That's been part of the Subway formula for years.

Old 08-04-2012, 09:35 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,876,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Huh? They don't bake their own bread? I don't understand. That's been part of the Subway formula for years.
They bake it. That doesn't mean it is good, or fresh. Usually it is dry or stale.
As I said, though, I am referring to our experiences at the locations I visit. Individual results may vary.

Old 08-04-2012, 10:42 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,388,770 times
Normally I don't buy store made sandwiches and can't remember the last time that I had a subway. However, last year I was at a meeting and we had just a few minutes to run out for lunch. There was a local gas station that had pre-made sandwiches. I expected to take one bite and through it out, but it was one of the best sandwiches that I ever had. It was basically turkey and provolone with lettuce, tomato, and onion. It was near a refinery and apparently the sandwiches were made fresh every morning. I am still surprised that it was so good. So you never know.

Old 08-05-2012, 04:29 AM

160 posts, read 433,432 times
In the northwest they have a grocery store called Winco. They make fresh sandwiches daily with real cheese and good quality meats (lg portion too). They are only $1.59! When I am in a hurry or need to pack a quick lunch for a large group this is where I go.

Old 08-11-2012, 09:36 AM

32,986 posts, read 36,507,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
Normally I don't buy store made sandwiches and can't remember the last time that I had a subway. However, last year I was at a meeting and we had just a few minutes to run out for lunch. There was a local gas station that had pre-made sandwiches. I expected to take one bite and through it out, but it was one of the best sandwiches that I ever had. It was basically turkey and provolone with lettuce, tomato, and onion. It was near a refinery and apparently the sandwiches were made fresh every morning. I am still surprised that it was so good. So you never know.
You never know. Years ago, my friend started her own sandwich business. Her clients were gas stations, convenience stores and similar places where hungry people might show up looking for something, anything to eat. She made a great sandwich, but got pretty tired of working all night, every night.

She graduated to selling bulk prepared salads to delis... and then into catering.

You just don't know who made that sandwich. They're frequently awful, but sometimes surprisingly good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes