Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 07:12 AM

1 posts, read 1,126 times

Advertisements

Is it worth sueing an attorney that did not complete disclose a lien on my property at closing? Can he be liable to pay the for the funds listed on closing documents? How can he be held accountable for such negligence? My family and I ended up homeless with no funds from the sale of our home from closing and could not close on the home we had a contract on. This caused a domino effect on everything including having to relocate to a different state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2017, 07:19 AM

19,447 posts, read 27,876,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rell014 View Post
Is it worth sueing an attorney that did not complete disclose a lien on my property at closing? Can he be liable to pay the for the funds listed on closing documents? How can he be held accountable for such negligence? My family and I ended up homeless with no funds from the sale of our home from closing and could not close on the home we had a contract on. This caused a domino effect on everything including having to relocate to a different state.
Huh? You reviewed the closing docs prior to closing, right? You knew your property was encumbered by the Lein, right? Why didn't you say something to the attorney about the (supposed) error?

Old 01-06-2017, 12:47 PM

15,586 posts, read 40,468,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rell014 View Post
Was it a legitimate lien meaning did you really owe that money to someone?

Old 01-06-2017, 01:46 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,746,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Was it a legitimate lien meaning did you really owe that money to someone?

If you had a legitimate lien and you owed money to someone how is that your attorney's fault? It would be your fault for not resolving the money you owe. Has nothing to do with your lawyer.

Old 01-06-2017, 02:28 PM

4,491 posts, read 3,936,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eelio39 View Post
Recently I went into contract on my "two family" home in Queens, NY. We are using the same attorney that we used to buy this house. While we were recently in contract to sell the house we found out that the C of O for the home comes back to a "One Family Home"! Upon further research and while my attorney was becoming evasive, I found out that the title company that was used when we purchased the house uncovered the fact that it was a one family home prior to our closing in 2004!!! HOW and WHY did this fact fail to be disclosed when we bought the home??? The house was listed by the broker as a 2 fam., We were appraised for a 2 fam., the NYC Dept. of Finance carries the home as a 2 fam., we received a mortgage from Wells Fargo for a two family and our deed states that we closed on a 2 family home in 2004! I have all the paperwork from the closing and the research that I did through the Department of Buildings! I need to sue some people because there has to be some sort of recourse for this event! Even if there is a statute of limitations, as an unknowing buyer who paid hard earned money to a lawer and a title company whom are supposed to protect us, failed us. What do we do? I guess that suing is the only answer!!
I'm in California, so I'm not familiar with New York protocols, but I have a lot of experience regarding real estate disputes. I think you should also be looking toward the title company and the listing broker insofar as they are assumed to have the expertise to avoid a situation like this. Be aware that Realtors carry E & O insurance and that would be a great place to start. You might also consider hiring a good qualified appraiser who can prove the difference in value between a 1 family & 2 family home. This will establish your money damages. I think you definitely have a case. Good luck.

Old 12-08-2022, 03:08 PM

1 posts, read 446 times
Can you please contact me ? I'm going through a similar situation and I'm desperate. I need some advice and support. I sent you a friend request.
Thanks

Old 12-08-2022, 03:12 PM

23,346 posts, read 18,916,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johana7 View Post
Can you please contact me ? I'm going through a similar situation and I'm desperate. I need some advice and support. I sent you a friend request.
Thanks
The OP hasn't been active on C-D for 12 years. Doubt you'll get a response.

Old 12-08-2022, 03:15 PM

14,527 posts, read 12,155,143 times
Post your own thread... posting complex questions on someone else's old thread is confusing for everyone reading it for the first time.

Old 12-09-2022, 09:32 AM

8,546 posts, read 14,047,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johana7 View Post
Thanks
Also, your profile states you're in NJ and the OP was in NY. Real estate law can vary a lot from state-to-state and some attorneys are only licensed in their home state. So, I'm not sure how helpful the OP's experience would be to you.

Old 12-11-2022, 02:31 PM

14,254 posts, read 14,766,189 times
I once met an attorney whose specialty was suing other attorneys. I do not think there are that many but also there are a lot of starving lawyers so shop around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate