Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2011, 01:41 PM

5,590 posts, read 6,522,498 times

Advertisements

My life has been turned upside down and I want to move out of state to be with a family member who can help me get through what is happening in my life. My husband no longer lives with me and is currently legally incapacitated. His name is on both car titles and the house, along with mine. I understand I have to get his Power of Attorney to legally sign for him so I can sell the cars and the house. Is this correct? I need to find an attorney to help me legally but I don't know what "specialty" to hire, ie a Real Estate attorney, an "elder" attorney (we are both 55+), a financial attorney? I want to just leave the house and contents behind and let a Realtor or Property Manager deal with selling it and the contents. Is this a good idea or should the attorney I ultimately decide to use take care of these sales? I am emotionally off balance right now and know not to make any major decisions while in this state of mind, but I need to get the ball rolling because everything legal takes time. I have no family here to help me. Any advice from those in the know is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 01:56 PM

34,111 posts, read 83,064,731 times
wow... lots of questions.

Start with a "family law" attorney.
None of your issues are especially complicated or unusual nor should this be especially expensive...
but EVERY state will do things a bit differently. The lawyer should know what is needed.

Old 05-29-2011, 03:07 PM

15,587 posts, read 40,472,737 times
An estate attorney or real estate attorney can help with this and yes you need an attorney. Because he is legally incapacitated (and not deceased) you will have extra paperwork for the power of attorney.

Old 05-29-2011, 05:01 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,124,544 times
THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE. It is advice to seek the counsel of an attorney and it provides information which is available on the net.

You may need to go to court - to be able to sign for your husband depending on his "legal incapacity". I suggest a lawyer who specializes in Elder Law. If you contact your local bar association - (County/City/State) Bar Association Lawyer Referral - explain the situation, they will find you an attorney who specializes in that general area, and you can have a reduced fee initial consultation.

If you have had reciprocal wills drawn up, it's possible you have Durable POAs or Springing POAs to cover just this situation. A Durable POA is a document granting financial authority to another person which is NOT dismissed by incapacitation or disability. A Springing POA is one which "springs" into being upon the incapacitation or disability. If you have neither, you may need to petition a court to appoint you as Guardian. You state that your husband is "legally incapacitated" which indicates there is court involvement already ("legally").

Here is some info from the Alzheimer's Association:
Get legal advice and services from an attorney. If the person with dementia is older, consider meeting with an attorney who specializes in elder law. Elder law focuses on guardianship, disability planning and other legal issues that typically affect older adults. Alzheimer's Association - Legal Issues

http://www.nylawfund.org/pubs/durpoa.pdf

Old 05-29-2011, 07:19 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,172,982 times
I wouldn't necessarily start with a RE attorney as there are issues other than the house. Focus on the issue of getting power of attorney.

Old 05-29-2011, 07:52 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,124,544 times
San Antonio Bar Association: Lawyer Referral

[CENTER]If you need an attorney, please call the Lawyer Referral hotline at 210.227.1853.[/CENTER]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate