Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 04:42 AM

214 posts, read 650,822 times

Advertisements

I've been involved in my fair share of multiple counter situations with buyers over the years. I have always used the same tactic so my buyers don't bid blindly against themselves. My respond to the multiple counter offer has always been..."Buyer purchase price to be $1,000 above highest offer not to exceed $x (the buyer's max price) and not to be less than $y (usually the first offer amount)." Most of the time my buyers got outbid and there were only a few times where we were the highest bidder and the listing agent showed us the second highest offer.

Have any of you realtors and/or buyers used the same tactic with multiple counter offer situations? If so, what were your results? If not, what tactic/strategy did you guys use?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2010, 09:39 AM

1,465 posts, read 5,149,924 times
When I first saw that on one of the HGTV shows, I wondered what would happen when 2 people have the same type of offer.

I also believe you set yourself up for the seller to pick a number. It is hard to validate other offers. If the buyer offers $1000 above the highest offer, what prevents the seller having an associate write up an offer at whatever price knowing it isn't binding.

In your specific example where you set an upper limit, I would be surprised if your buyer got a price that was significantly below your upper limit.

Old 02-28-2010, 12:41 PM

948 posts, read 2,794,164 times
When my seller gets these my sellers and I also look at the option of just rejecting them both if the one with the escalator clause is the highest/best, when we present the rejection we include an offer to sell agreement to the buyer that disclosed their top dollar when they put not to exceed $ (the offer includes the buyers high # of course) - initially it tends to irritate the buyer, but they tend to cool off when they realize seller is acting no differently by seeking the best deal they could. Unfortunately it often upsets the buyers agent as well (not my fault) cause it most likely wasn't something they had dealt with nor expected and their buyers are blind sighted by the move - Also the lower offer contains confidential info and without a signed release I can't share it with a 3rd party.

Old 02-28-2010, 02:52 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,589,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric#1 View Post
When my seller gets these my sellers and I also look at the option of just rejecting them both if the one with the escalator clause is the highest/best, when we present the rejection we include an offer to sell agreement to the buyer that disclosed their top dollar when they put not to exceed $ (the offer includes the buyers high # of course) - initially it tends to irritate the buyer, but they tend to cool off when they realize seller is acting no differently by seeking the best deal they could. ...
That was my thought too, the buyer has tipped their hand to their highest offer, why not counter for it?

Old 02-28-2010, 03:08 PM

15,586 posts, read 40,472,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric#1 View Post
When my seller gets these my sellers and I also look at the option of just rejecting them both if the one with the escalator clause is the highest/best, when we present the rejection we include an offer to sell agreement to the buyer that disclosed their top dollar when they put not to exceed $ (the offer includes the buyers high # of course) - initially it tends to irritate the buyer, but they tend to cool off when they realize seller is acting no differently by seeking the best deal they could. Unfortunately it often upsets the buyers agent as well (not my fault) cause it most likely wasn't something they had dealt with nor expected and their buyers are blind sighted by the move - Also the lower offer contains confidential info and without a signed release I can't share it with a 3rd party.

Ditto. We just counter and remove the escalator clause and counter and their highest amount. If they are willing to pay it, it makes no sense for the seller to not ask for it.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:58 PM

1 posts, read 8,011 times
Default counter offer

What happens if the seller of the property responds to 2 offers at the same time and both buyers accept the terms?

Old 03-12-2012, 08:14 PM

43,347 posts, read 77,209,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkyrest View Post
What happens if the seller of the property responds to 2 offers at the same time and both buyers accept the terms?
Were the responses made as written, signed counteroffers, or just negotiation responses?

Old 03-12-2012, 11:40 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,962,966 times
When I make an offer on a property I include a check for the full purchase price. Best and final, seller has a bird in hand and an check ready to cash. Wanna deal? You got the deal. Wanna play games, waste someone elses time.

Old 03-13-2012, 02:59 PM

1,490 posts, read 5,989,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
When I make an offer on a property I include a check for the full purchase price. Best and final, seller has a bird in hand and an check ready to cash. Wanna deal? You got the deal. Wanna play games, waste someone elses time.
Nice, wanna come buy some of my listings?

Old 03-15-2012, 08:41 AM

675 posts, read 1,817,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Are you cash buyer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate