Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 09:19 AM

830 posts, read 1,070,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjames View Post
I suppose there is an opportunity for someone with no or low ethics to take advantage of a dual agency situation, but that type of individual would probably take advantage of any situation.
I don't suppose, I lived it. In my experience where my agent was a good friend, first she really should not have even entertained the idea of being Dual Agent given the fact that we were close friends and that would put the Buyer at a disadvantage .... you would think right? Well turned out that the agent was really working for herself. Neither one of us were represented very well.

This agent had me sign the dual agency form with the listing contract. Had she waited till we actually had a dual agency situation at hand, I would have NEVER signed it. By then, I had her number! What was even worse was we had THREE dual agency situations during the listing!!!! GEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZZ! Since I had already signed the Dual Agency form in the beginning, I was told I could not do anything to stop the situation of Dual Agency.

DON'T EVER SIGN A DUAL AGENCY FORM!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 09:23 AM

63,917 posts, read 47,016,010 times
[quote=bentlebee;8659347].what a b.s. to have dual agents being allowed and only inexpereinced people will fall for it./quote]

Actually, it's been my experience, that investors with and without experience, are more likely to seek out dual agency, with the intention of pocketing half the commission.

Those who do not like the laws in their state, should seek to change them.

I am not an advocate of dual agency and do not operate as one.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenAngel View Post
This agent had me sign the dual agency form with the listing contract. Had she waited till we actually had a dual agency situation at hand, I would have NEVER signed it.

Since I had already signed the Dual Agency form in the beginning, I was told I could not do anything to stop the situation of Dual Agency.
My state requires two dual agency disclosure consents. The first is at the time of listing and the second is before an offer. The consumer can change their mind between the two steps. Sounds like your state may not operate this way.

I would be surprised if any two states had the same laws as it relates to dual agency. For this reason, broad generalizations are potentially misleading to consumers.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:29 AM

[quote=middle-aged mom;8660075]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
.what a b.s. to have dual agents being allowed and only inexpereinced people will fall for it./quote]

Actually, it's been my experience, that investors with and without experience, are more likely to seek out dual agency, with the intention of pocketing half the commission.

Those who do not like the laws in their state, should seek to change them.

I am not an advocate of dual agency and do not operate as one.
I myself feel I am better served by spreading the word about my experiences. I think people who enter into un know areas are all ears when other people give their horror stories. Getting a law changed, I think you know is VERY difficult if not impossible.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Business brokers do it all the time and they will tell you "I'm not representing the buyer or the seller, but more the mediator"
OMG!!!! Were you there? How could you possibly know that is just what my agent said!!!! You must be Psychic!!!!

Old 05-05-2009, 09:40 AM

[quote=FrozenAngel;8660183]
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post

Getting a law changed, I think you know is VERY difficult if not impossible.

Heck, slavery would still be legal if everyone believe change was impossible.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:48 AM

[quote=middle-aged mom;8660349]
Quote:

Heck, slavery would still be legal if everyone believe change was impossible.
Heck ya and we'd still have slavery legal if it hadn't been for a president changing it. Am I the only one who heard, "Lincoln freed the Slaves"?

Old 05-05-2009, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
My state requires two dual agency disclosure consents.
What difference does it make what the State Laws say ... too many RE agents DON'T follow the laws!!!!! The consumer couldn't possibly know the laws!

WARNING! DON'T SIGN A DUAL AGENCY FORM EVER!!!!!!!

Old 05-05-2009, 09:56 AM

27,224 posts, read 46,966,386 times
Quote:
OMG!!!! Were you there? How could you possibly know that is just what my agent said!!!! You must be Psychic!!!!
I always laugh when I hear these things said..."I'm there to look for your best interest"...and my best commission rate should be added!

The following will be said if you really ask a agent a question "I'm not a lawyer"

Old 05-05-2009, 09:59 AM

Quote:
I always laugh when I hear these things said..."I'm there to look for your best interest"...and my best commission rate should be added!

The following will be said if you really ask a agent a question "I'm not a lawyer"

Nope, never heard that one .... not from any agents I've dealt with. I have heard agents say, "I have a lawyer I use for all my clients that you should use." Does that count?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate