Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 10:53 PM

79 posts, read 192,818 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if there is any informational housing market monitor out there?

These days you can monitor other investment markets like stocks, bonds, futures, money markets, and mutual funds. How come there is no such monitors out there? or Am I wrong? does such a thing exist? I want to be able to look at a specific area and see if homes are selling and if prices are dropping ect. like yahoo finance you can get charts and graphs on any particular company. how about the housing? any suggestion would be very helpful. thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2007, 12:56 PM

11,834 posts, read 34,467,731 times
There are a number of resources available. MLS, Public Records, Federal Govt.....

Housing is more than a just commodity, and is illiquid and slow to change.

A share of a stock is exactly the same as another share of exactly the same stock. Houses in the same community are similar, but not the same. Houses that are the same, may be in different areas, and therefore not similar.

Stocks are bought and sold today, based on today's prices. Houses are bought today, but sold sometime in the future...based on the needs of the parties.

Old 04-04-2007, 02:51 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,107,778 times
I check the real estate journal (affiliated with NY's Wall Street Journal) weekly...they seem to publish updates on the housing market by metro area monthly.
http://www.realestatejournal.com/

Old 04-04-2007, 03:34 PM

474 posts, read 2,194,218 times
With regard to the post quoted below, it might be helpful to do a Google search for "housing market monitor";many in depth statistics could come up, or either lead the poster to the type of detailed information that is being sought in a given area.

I have found City-Data to be an incredible wealth of information on the intracacies of various states; as well as all subjects relating to real estate transactions.

This particular forum relates to real estate brokers. We make every possible effort to pass on up to date information relative to our profession to anyone who asks. However, statistical information is state-specific as to the market in a narrow area.

A search for the particular state and area you are interested in would give the poster much more information than we can provide, as we each specialize in our own " backyards" so to speak.

The best of luck to you in your quest for details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotcha View Post
Does anyone know if there is any informational housing market monitor out there?

These days you can monitor other investment markets like stocks, bonds, futures, money markets, and mutual funds. How come there is no such monitors out there? or Am I wrong? does such a thing exist? I want to be able to look at a specific area and see if homes are selling and if prices are dropping ect. like yahoo finance you can get charts and graphs on any particular company. how about the housing? any suggestion would be very helpful. thanks.

Old 04-04-2007, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
I check the real estate journal (affiliated with NY's Wall Street Journal) weekly...they seem to publish updates on the housing market by metro area monthly.
http://www.realestatejournal.com/
thank you... this is what I was looking for Moderator cut: no insults, please

Last edited by Marka; 04-09-2007 at 05:02 AM..

Old 04-05-2007, 07:36 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,790,404 times
http://www.realestatejournal.com/mar...statepartners/

Old 04-05-2007, 07:47 PM

474 posts, read 2,194,218 times
Great information, Chaz Longue ... you are a wealth of helpful information. Thanks.

Old 04-06-2007, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz longue View Post
yup and we all thought that car salesmen are the only ones trying to sell you something. good job! keep up the good work.

Old 04-07-2007, 08:51 AM

1,405 posts, read 4,790,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotcha View Post
yup and we all thought that car salesmen are the only ones trying to sell you something. good job! keep up the good work.

You may have missed my point - which is simply that even the Wall Street Journal gets a great deal of it's data from sources like the NAR and it's other Realtor partners. That's all.

I know better than to try to sell you anything, believe me

Old 04-07-2007, 11:05 AM

so back to the point of this thread... does anyone have any useful info in regard to market monitors?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate