Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2020, 02:26 AM

197 posts, read 183,568 times

Advertisements

Can someone please give me the name of a security company that installs systems,and monitors homes. There are so many, I’m just looking for a reliable and reasonable company. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2020, 03:41 AM

34,128 posts, read 83,117,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dotbowels View Post
Can someone please give me the name of a security company ...
You're asking an international audience about a neighborhood/town question.
What choices do you have ...wherever it is that you live? Pick one.

Old 07-31-2020, 07:19 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,377,946 times
What was said above is true. My only advice is to look for a local company. In my experience they do a better job for less than the bigger names like ADT. Monitoring fees also tend to be lower with local companies. A friend told me how much they paid ADT for monitoring. I was shocked. It was twice as much as a pay the local company.

Old 07-31-2020, 07:28 AM

6,833 posts, read 11,581,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
What was said above is true. My only advice is to look for a local company. In my experience they do a better job for less than the bigger names like ADT. Monitoring fees also tend to be lower with local companies. A friend told me how much they paid ADT for monitoring. I was shocked. It was twice as much as a pay the local company.
This a thousand times. I was a slave to ADT in my last 2 houses because their proprietary panels were already there. We chose a local company for our new house. Monitoring is less than half of what I was paying ADT. A friendly local woman to call if I have a billing question. If I want to change companies, anyone can take over the generic panel.

OP - drive around and see what local companies have the most yard signs. Start there.

Old 07-31-2020, 07:48 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,288,290 times
Unless you are in a high crime area, and need ultra quick responses, I’d never go with a traditional alarm company again.

I self-installed a Ring alarm system in my current home, and for $100 a year get cellular backup central station monitoring, camera recording and support for as many devices as I choose to install. I’ve been very happy with it, but I’m not in a high crime area and a call to the police would get them here in minutes.

I think I paid around $250 for the Ring package at Costco, and then added some more sensors including water sensors.

Previously I was paying $30-40 a month. With Ring the entire system is paid for in a year.

Simplisafe is another brand that people use.

Old 07-31-2020, 07:51 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,288,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
This a thousand times. I was a slave to ADT in my last 2 houses because their proprietary panels were already there. We chose a local company for our new house. Monitoring is less than half of what I was paying ADT. A friendly local woman to call if I have a billing question. If I want to change companies, anyone can take over the generic panel.

OP - drive around and see what local companies have the most yard signs. Start there.
My current house has wired sensors from the old system. It was cheaper for me to rip out the panel and use wireless sensors than to pay for a contract with the old provider.

Old 08-03-2020, 12:19 PM

6,382 posts, read 4,227,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post

I agree, ADT is Horrible!

Old 08-03-2020, 02:58 PM

1,145 posts, read 4,217,955 times
There are a lot of new security company start-ups, including Vivint and Abode. They are going to be cheaper options than your traditional security companies (whether they are local or an ADT/Brinks type).

Old 08-03-2020, 07:12 PM

1,108 posts, read 1,386,130 times
Ring Alarm is one of the cheapest, if not the cheapest option. $10 per month, super user friendly system that you can control remotely and alert you remotely.

I'd never go back to a traditional alarm monitoring system that is old school in tech, charges an arm and leg, and may lock you into contracts.

I know a guy who got locked into a 5 year (!!!!) contract with ADT, paying $50 a month. I was just blown away at the highway robbery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate