Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2008, 03:53 PM

2 posts, read 7,627 times

Advertisements

my 96 year old mother and i bought a house last week. had to call furnace person as there seemed to be a problem. called original company that installed furnace. they said that furnace was on its last legs, and as opposed to being 15 years old as stated on disclosure, it was 30. do i have any recourse at all. new furnace will be around $3,000. thanx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 04:29 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,933,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rozziel View Post
my 96 year old mother and i bought a house last week. had to call furnace person as there seemed to be a problem. called original company that installed furnace. they said that furnace was on its last legs, and as opposed to being 15 years old as stated on disclosure, it was 30. do i have any recourse at all. new furnace will be around $3,000. thanx.
If the disclosure was relied upon, and it can be proved that they lied, then you will usually have some legal recourse, perhaps for a portion or maybe even all of the cost of the furnace. I recommend calling the attorney that assisted you with the closing, having them review the disclosure, and seeing what they have to say.
But I have a quick question; what did your inspector say about the condition & age of the furnace?

Old 12-15-2008, 05:21 PM

2 posts, read 7,627 times
the inspection was fine; he noted that a clamp had to be secured in a different way, but other than that, nothing. when i called the furnace ppl out today (because it didnt appear to be heating very well), they noted the age of the installation (1979, which they had installed), and called my attention to a couple of things that are going to go down presumably shortly. i had 2 hvac ppl out and they said i needed a new furnace shortly. if i had known furnace was 30 years, as opposed to the 15 put on disclosure, i would have questioned it more.

Old 12-15-2008, 05:54 PM

22 posts, read 70,219 times
Didn't your inspector tell you the age of the furnace? did you get written paperwork from the inspector? they can usually tell the age of things like that and it may be on that paperwork....

Old 12-15-2008, 06:00 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,880,155 times
There should be a label on the equipment with seriel numbers. In those seriel numbers is the date it was manufactured. the inspector should have noted the information. I think the problem is with the inspector, the home seller may or may not have known the date of installation. It's easier to go after the inspector.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:34 PM

1,177 posts, read 4,155,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneSA View Post
There should be a label on the equipment with seriel numbers. In those seriel numbers is the date it was manufactured. the inspector should have noted the information. I think the problem is with the inspector, the home seller may or may not have known the date of installation. It's easier to go after the inspector.
It may be "easier to go after the inspector" but if the equipment was functioning when he inspected it you probably won't have much success. I'm not saying the inspector shouldn't have noted the age of the equipment but there is a good chance that "disclaimers" in the inspection agreement you have will protect the inspector.

Old 12-16-2008, 07:57 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,372,081 times
We recently bought a house - the inspection included a 90 day Limited Structural and Mechanical Warranty (inspection and radon test was almost $1000 so I'm sure I paid for this warranty, but it was not something they asked whether I wanted or not).

Did you get one? I'd check this out. Also, FYI in case this info assists in any way, our inspector is a member of our state's Association of Home Inspectors and ASHI (Amer Society of Home Inspectors) - may be a route to check out.

Did you use a realtor? I'd also call them and get on them to help.

Old 12-16-2008, 11:58 AM

733 posts, read 4,653,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
If the disclosure was relied upon, and it can be proved that they lied, then you will usually have some legal recourse...
Bill Keegan's first comment is VERY important and may have been overlooked in the subsequent responses. In most jurisdictions you won't get anyplace unless you can prove the seller intentionally misrepresented the age and condition of the furnace. Though it may be different in some states, a disclosure statement IS NOT a warranty. It's completed based on information and belief. You'll need to determine if the seller actually knew the furnace was older. And you'll probably have to establish that the age is a critical factor - just because it's old doesn't mean it's defective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate