Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 04:34 PM

6 posts, read 10,929 times

Advertisements

Bought home 1 month ago. There was a disclosure stating basement flooded due to a city pipeline. City paid sellers a settlement. Sellers stated all walls, floors, insulation was fixed and a french drain installed. On 2 different disclosures they wrote they have not had water since fixing it all ( 3 years ago) Basement flooded yesterday when calling a company to clean up they said oh yes we have been to your house before. Last year, same season basement flooded and clean up company came out after hours. What can I do? They stated no water both times with the last time dated the day they accepted our offer. Also I asked at least 2 times about dry basement and seller said told me it was always dry. Thanks for info....yes we had inspector there was no visible damage except for waterline in crawl space which was from city flood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2011, 04:40 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,600,122 times
Time to talk to an attorney.

Old 05-02-2011, 04:58 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,535,351 times
You really gonna trust a company that cleans out basements after a flood to testify against a former client? How long do you think just a firm would stay in business?

Now maybe the kid that came out will be adviced by his bosses that "he must've been confused" becuase the "central office does not have records that go back that far" , really, not worth the effort...

Old 05-02-2011, 05:59 PM

they don't need to testify I have the records that they came out, what they did, how many machines were used, who the technicians were and it was an after hours call due to a basement leak. It was a clean water pick up due to the rainwater that leaked. They also gave me the costs of the clean up and how she paid. Not that far back they came out exactly 1 year ago tomorrow. Its a major company and I am sure they keep their records more then a year.

Old 05-02-2011, 06:14 PM

15,598 posts, read 40,516,832 times
Attorney time for sure. That is some strong evidence for you as the buyer.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:50 PM

574 posts, read 1,643,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brkn View Post
Bought home 1 month ago. There was a disclosure stating basement flooded due to a city pipeline. City paid sellers a settlement. Sellers stated all walls, floors, insulation was fixed and a french drain installed. On 2 different disclosures they wrote they have not had water since fixing it all ( 3 years ago) Basement flooded yesterday when calling a company to clean up they said oh yes we have been to your house before. Last year, same season basement flooded and clean up company came out after hours. What can I do? They stated no water both times with the last time dated the day they accepted our offer. Also I asked at least 2 times about dry basement and seller said told me it was always dry. Thanks for info....yes we had inspector there was no visible damage except for waterline in crawl space which was from city flood.
Welcome to the world of home buying. Disclosures are worthless! If you doubt that read this post just made https://www.city-data.com/forum/real-...verything.html.

Time to get an attorney and start a stink with the former owner!

Old 05-02-2011, 11:33 PM

290 posts, read 574,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brkn View Post
What caused the flood this time? I do not believe that you had mentioned the reasons why it flooded this time around. If you did, I apologize for asking the question; however, I am failing to see exactly why it had flooded. The seller disclosed that it had flooded, and repairs were made. I am not defending the seller, but the seller did disclose this information according to your post.

Out of curiosity, are you located in a flood zone?

One would think that if the improvement had flooded multiple times from the city's pipeline, the city would had made it a priority to permanently fix the issue(s).

From an Appraiser's point of view (value stand point), I hope you did not over pay for this property, and hope you can manage your resources well enough to sell in the future, without losing, and putting yourself in an economic straight jacket. An improvement that has flooded multiple times doesn't bold well for future loans, as well as, value of the property. A competent Appraiser would have eventually found this information for their client (the bank), and warned them of the potential of losing monies, especially in this economy. This is the type of information an Appraiser would bother themselves with by looking more into it and analyzing it. I think the Bank's Appraiser failed their client, as well as, the asset itself (economic health)

Good luck to you, as a flood is not a good situation to be in, economically, with regard to real estate. Also, I have lived in houses, growing up, that were flooded, and it is not an ideal problem that can be solved quickly and easily.

Old 05-02-2011, 11:44 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,600,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeenback View Post
...The seller disclosed that it had flooded, and repairs were made. I am not defending the seller, but the seller did disclose this information according to your post....
Read the OP again, and subsequent follow-up. The sellers had another basement flooding issue 2 years after the initial incident with the city (1 year prior to the sale), and did not disclose it to the buyer, claiming there were no further water issues. That is the concern.

Old 05-03-2011, 03:06 AM

290 posts, read 574,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrcm View Post
Read the OP again, and subsequent follow-up. The sellers had another basement flooding issue 2 years after the initial incident with the city (1 year prior to the sale), and did not disclose it to the buyer, claiming there were no further water issues. That is the concern.
I understand that a portion of the improvement was flooded multiple times, which includes one time a day or so ago, according to the post.

The seller indicated there were initial repairs, and it appears those repairs were not enough. I am slightly curious how exactly the water got into the basement this time around.

About the concern of the potential lie and the extent of the lie: I see conflicting statements in the posts. I am not calling anyone out to be a lie. I believe the poster is upset, and rightfully so; their asset appears to be in trouble. If the poster believes he or she was lied to, then maybe he or she should seek legal counsel, like most everyone in the thread suggested; in order to find any options available.

Maybe the poster can look at the cost to cure and what impact it may have on market value, as well as current physical depreciation that may affect it; curable or incurable? A Lawyer may find this type of an analysis very helpful if there is a case for potential damages -- one may never know (fair is fair/remedy)

I was just slightly curious about something is all.

Old 05-03-2011, 08:09 AM

Thanks for replying. The city could never find the problem but said they had done work nearby that could have caused it. It was never taken to court. The ONLY thing they did besides replacing the insides was putting the french drain in. The water is coming in from the crawl space through the walls. The wording in the disclosure said...."Since they fixed the problem they have not had any more water." It was signed in August then again written up in February. The neighbors told us about seeing the company coming after heavy downpours and when I called they gave me a date which was 2 years after the basement was fixed. In addition when they remodeled the downstairs they hired a handyman and he layed the sheetrock on the floor instead of an inch or so off the ground when done properly so we have mold under the baseboards from the previous flood. I did not overpay for the house. We have actually made many upgrades including a custom kitchen to increase the value but that basement is going to put us in foreclosure. To 100% fix it it will be 20+grand. The settlement was more then this to provide for the repairs but obviously the money was used elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate