Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 04:44 PM

620 posts, read 1,950,910 times

Advertisements

We will be closing on our new home Friday. Tomorrow, our agent has set up the final walk through. In Ohio, they do things so different than in SC. During this whole process we have learned a lot!

Our papers will be signed on Friday, but the seller is not scheduled to vacate until next Friday. I am so worried that he will leave all kinds of his trash and goods behind. A lot can happen in a week. In Ohio, we do not get the keys until 7days after closing.

I have got a couple of tips on what to look for tomorrow and would love any more if you have them. Does anyone have any insight, tips, suggestions on how to do the walk through with the seller's items STILL in the house?

Our agent keeps telling us not to worry. She even said to use the time to measure windows, etc. To me that is crazy. I need to focus on the house's condition!

Thank you for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 06:22 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,741,423 times
You should have money in escrow. Make sure when you do get keys to the house, have a camera ready. Take pictures if there is trash, debris, or anything out of the ordinary. I am sure things will be fine, it sounds like this is SOP.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:51 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,936,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raising3boys View Post
We will be closing on our new home Friday. Tomorrow, our agent has set up the final walk through. In Ohio, they do things so different than in SC. During this whole process we have learned a lot!

Our papers will be signed on Friday, but the seller is not scheduled to vacate until next Friday. I am so worried that he will leave all kinds of his trash and goods behind. A lot can happen in a week. In Ohio, we do not get the keys until 7days after closing.

I have got a couple of tips on what to look for tomorrow and would love any more if you have them. Does anyone have any insight, tips, suggestions on how to do the walk through with the seller's items STILL in the house?

Our agent keeps telling us not to worry. She even said to use the time to measure windows, etc. To me that is crazy. I need to focus on the house's condition!

Thank you for your help.
I know everyplace has it's own customs & ways of doing things, but I have just never understood the concept or, nor seen the value in, doing a walk through a week before closing, when the seller still has all their stuff in the house. I saw the house full of the sellers stuff already, and I decided I wanted to buy it, provided the seller gets all their stuff out. When I do the walk through, it's to make sure; everything that's supposed to be gone is gone and everything thats staying is there and in the condition I expect.
That being said, and sort of not important to your situation, can you arrange to do the walk through AFTER they move out, BEFORE you conduct the actual transfer? IF that's not acceptable, is money escrowed against possible damages, debris, or missing stuff? Of course, if this is just how things are done there, trhen this is how it's done. You trust yoru Realtor? She says don't worry? So, don't worry. I guess. (Still seems odd to me.)

Old 12-02-2008, 07:55 PM

2,124 posts, read 8,841,471 times
Bill, from what raising has told me, it is customary in Ohio for the process to be:
Walk through, then close the next day, and then the seller moves a week or so later..... CRAZY. HUH????

so, she has to do walk through tomorrow for her closing the next day. and then she will move in next week.

If you have any good walk through tips for her, I'm sure she would love to hear : ) I already gave her mine earlier.

shelly

Old 12-02-2008, 08:01 PM

Ask your agent if it would be considered rude or somehow inappropriate to take pictures. If it's ok, take LOTS of digital pics. Walls, windows, & doors especially in places where big or heavy furniture will be moving through and can cause damage. Those fancy light fixtures & chandeliers that you know are supposed to be staying. The appliances ( I once worked with a buyer where we got to the walk through & all the good appliances had been switched out for low grade leftovers.)
I know this all sounds like you have to be worried sick. Don't. Odds are everything will go just fine. Just consider the pictures a cheap insurance policy.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:23 PM

LOL!!! that is exactly what I told her Bill!! good minds think alike : )

shelly

Old 12-03-2008, 04:04 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,736,758 times
I agree with the previous person who stated....take pictures and make sure your camera can take many and is working! Also have money put in escrow for things being broken or destroyed after the walk through!

Check all the windows if the open or not, check the airco/heater, check all the sinks and bath/shower for leaks. (fill up the sinks and leave them like that and walk back later and look and feel under the sink in the cabinets and feel if there is any water), look specially where a lot of stuff is placed...it might be just for moving or to cover up something. Look at the window sills if they aren't broken or cracks. Look on the outside under the window sills if there isn't any cracks that can course water to leak into the house (depends what kinds of construction the house is made off), check garage doors if they work, check the electric panel, etc....
Ask if you can have a walk through before closing after they have moved out....

Good Luck!

Old 12-03-2008, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I agree with the previous person who stated....take pictures and make sure your camera can take many and is working! Also have money put in escrow for things being broken or destroyed after the walk through!

Check all the windows if the open or not, check the airco/heater, check all the sinks and bath/shower for leaks. (fill up the sinks and leave them like that and walk back later and look and feel under the sink in the cabinets and feel if there is any water), look specially where a lot of stuff is placed...it might be just for moving or to cover up something. Look at the window sills if they aren't broken or cracks. Look on the outside under the window sills if there isn't any cracks that can course water to leak into the house (depends what kinds of construction the house is made off), check garage doors if they work, check the electric panel, etc....
Ask if you can have a walk through before closing after they have moved out....

Good Luck!
While all of those are things about which the buyer should be concerned, they are also things that should have been checked at the home inspection. We don't use the walk through to reinspect those items, (except maybe to be sure that the work we were told was done really was done) but just to be sure that the stuff we thought we were buying is still there and in the condition we expected. A walk through here usually takes about 15 to 20 minutes for an average sized home that has been emptied.

Last edited by Bill Keegan; 12-03-2008 at 07:57 AM.. Reason: Added the phrase in the ( )

Old 12-03-2008, 07:54 AM

Oh and Raising, you probably know this but.... if you had an inspection and asked for items to be repaired, bring your inspection or the paperwork detailing what you requested so you can check against it.

Shelly

Old 12-03-2008, 08:43 AM

1,151 posts, read 2,993,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
While all of those are things about which the buyer should be concerned, they are also things that should have been checked at the home inspection. We don't use the walk through to reinspect those items, (except maybe to be sure that the work we were told was done really was done) but just to be sure that the stuff we thought we were buying is still there and in the condition we expected. A walk through here usually takes about 15 to 20 minutes for an average sized home that has been emptied.
The house is supposed to be in the same condition that it was in when the inspection was made (subject to any required repairs). I think it's good advice to make sure that everything still checks out. It's a big PITA and most people (agents and buyers alike) don't want to go to the trouble, but it's certainly not unreasonable. Once the seller gets their money, they will lose their motivation to make the buyer happy, even if they are contractually obligated. Plus, depending on how the contract is written, if you close on a house that is not in the condition that was required, you may be deemed to have waived that requirement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate