Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 03:55 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,668,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beena View Post

That is fine by me. You pay me as we go. I will keep track of my hours and bill weekly. At say $60 an hour - WTF Mike??? Take a 2 week class. Pass a simple state exam and collect 60 bucks an hour? Most people with a highschool education are sht giggle happy with 15 an hour.
I used $60 an hr because that is what the courts here usually use for an amount when an agent needs to testify as an expert witness.
I am sure in other areas it would be higher.

I bet you don't blink an eye to pay the electrician or A/C guy $85/HR.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2008, 06:44 AM

1,151 posts, read 2,996,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Why are you so worried about me?
If you have an answer for the OP then have at it.
I gave my answer, part of which is that it is a black mark on the industry that discussions such as this are swept under the rug. Your characterization of the OP as tiresome is a good example. If you don't like your post being scrutinized, no one is forcing you to participate.

Old 10-10-2008, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
AW,
You said I could quote you..."God love 'em."
Dang, I should have said "God love some of 'em!"

Old 10-10-2008, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin-Willy View Post
I gave my answer, part of which is that it is a black mark on the industry that discussions such as this are swept under the rug. Your characterization of the OP as tiresome is a good example. If you don't like your post being scrutinized, no one is forcing you to participate.
The discussion is ongoing here.
Hardly swept under the rug.
The same question repeated over and over is what I refered to as tiresome not the OP.
I don't mind my posts being scrutinized but when another poster mischaracterizes my response I am not going to let it go.

Old 10-10-2008, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
The discussion is ongoing here.
Hardly swept under the rug.
The same question repeated over and over is what I refered to as tiresome not the OP.
I don't mind my posts being scrutinized but when another poster mischaracterizes my response I am not going to let it go.
If you don't realize that some agents' responses are aimed at curtailing an honest discussion of the issue, I guess we will just have to agree to disagree.

But I'm curious, because your first response said "This type thread comes up every few weeks or so." If not the OP (original post), then what repetitive question were you referring to as tiresome? And how was your response mischaracterized?

Old 10-10-2008, 09:32 AM

410 posts, read 1,683,465 times
Quote:
Take a 2 week class. Pass a simple state exam and collect 60 bucks an hour?

Most people with a highschool education are sht giggle happy with 15 an hour.
Benna...what is it your trying to say here? Are you upset that agents can make $60+hrly and/or do think their education stops at the high school level?

If so...I'll put your mind to rest... we can make $60+ hrly and many do have advanced degrees. Again...at one point we were you...I don't think any were born as real estate agents. If this is still bothersome to you... perhaps you should get your license and join us... I'm extending the olive branch.

Now...on to more productive discussions!
Sunny

Old 10-10-2008, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin-Willy View Post
If you don't realize that some agents' responses are aimed at curtailing an honest discussion of the issue, I guess we will just have to agree to disagree.

But I'm curious, because your first response said "This type thread comes up every few weeks or so." If not the OP (original post), then what repetitive question were you referring to as tiresome? And how was your response mischaracterized?
The question was repetitive not the OP (Original Poster).
I am sure she was not aware of the other times it was brought up.

I am not going to go on with this as it is getting off topic.

Old 10-10-2008, 01:25 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,436,237 times
Quote:
Again, the free market would have wiped us out long ago... - Kev, check your 2008 paystub again. The free market IS wiping you out. [/color]
Well, I just went and checked my 08 pay stubs...and unfortunately I made 5 times as much this year as I made in 05 in the height of the real estate market.

Guess your access to my bank account wasn't as good as you thought.

Good theory though.

Old 10-10-2008, 01:54 PM

15,589 posts, read 40,484,416 times
Quote:
WTF Mike??? Take a 2 week class. Pass a simple state exam and collect 60 bucks an hour? Most people with a highschool education are sht giggle happy with 15 an hour.

The person who makes $15 an hour is an hourly wage employee. Since they are an employee, they don't bear the overhead costs of the business.

If you work in a factory, your taxes and benefits are taken care of. You as the employee don't see these costs, but they do exist. The owner factors them into their cost of doing business.

Real estate agents are their own business. Most companies hire agents as independent contractors. This means each agent incorporates the costs of doing business into their fee.

If someone who worked in a factory was responsible for a portion of the overhead fees of the company, I can guarantee you that $15 would not be enough.

I understand your comparison, but it's not an accurate one. I guarantee that when you walk into the grocery store and buy food, the overhead costs of doing business are built into everything you buy. This is no different.

Old 10-18-2008, 01:53 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,293,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter 1 View Post
The ANSWER IS VERY SIMPLE! Greed, Greed, Greed . There is no more or less work in selling a $100,000.00 home then a $500,000.00. the same amount of paper work .
Marketing a 500k home is different than a 100k home. As a result, the costs are potentially a lot more than a 100k home.

Please - get your facts straight
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate