Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 02:18 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,780,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
As long as we penalize everyone involved in the transactions that end up in foreclosure - lenders, mortgage brokers, RE agents, appraisers, and so on. No fair singling out just one part of the problem and letting everyone else slide.
I am talking about homes that are abadoned by owners who can afford to stay but prefer to walk away, because it might require some serious belt tightening or biting the bullet.

That one achieves instant equity is a huge tip off that there is reasonable potential it will evaporate, just as fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 02:20 PM

2,079 posts, read 4,953,631 times
Sounds as if the OP is just not happy with home or community in which he lives. I say move, walk-away or whatever. Why spend your hard earned money living somewhere you not happy. Move and be happy.

Old 08-04-2008, 02:28 PM

41,984 posts, read 75,252,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannersdad View Post
my wife and I want to do the right thing but family comes first.
If family really does come first with you, you'd do well to set an honorable and responsible example for your children by:
  • honoring your word;
  • paying back your debts;
  • abiding by the law; and
  • adjusting your spending habits when circumstances change so that you live within your means.

Old 08-04-2008, 02:31 PM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,592,151 times
Quote:
Why spend your hard earned money living somewhere you not happy.
Because it wasn't hard earned when he thought of the money he was going to make had the house appreciated in price.

1.) He's still going to need a place to live.
2.) If he walks, he takes a credit hit and won't be able to buy and will have to rent.

Old 08-04-2008, 02:43 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,503,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
Sounds as if the OP is just not happy with home or community in which he lives. I say move, walk-away or whatever. Why spend your hard earned money living somewhere you not happy.
How about because its unethical and wrong? The OP made a commitment to repay the money lent to him, why should the bank pick up the balance of his loan? Why do they deserve to suffer on the OP's whim?

Old 08-04-2008, 02:48 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,780,510 times
Default Be Happy????????

Quote:
Sounds as if the OP is just not happy with home or community in which he lives. I say move, walk-away or whatever. Why spend your hard earned money living somewhere you not happy. Move and be happy.
I warned everyone, this is a hot button, with me.

I use my credit card to pay for everything. I used my hard - earned money to pay off the balance each month, even though I could " Be Happy" in the moment and ignore my bills.

I see lots of stuff I cannot afford in stores. I can chose to do without or I could "Be Happy" in the moment and steal the stuff.

Old 08-04-2008, 02:52 PM

40,954 posts, read 49,228,814 times
Default What would your grandfather do ?

Being "Happy" should not be a consideration. Are we so spoiled that hard work and diversity means nothing? When you commit to an an obligation you should make every effort to fullfil that obligation.

I look back at my grandparents who struggled through a depression & WW2 and wonder what they would think about today. What a bunch of softies we've become.

Old 08-04-2008, 02:55 PM

15,584 posts, read 40,460,388 times
Quote:
WOW...that's all I can say...

Old 08-04-2008, 03:01 PM

315 posts, read 349,968 times
He walks, the bank gets the house. Business is business. Whats the big deal? Honor? give me a break. Set examples to do whats right for the family? again give me a break. Carrying the burden of an overinflated house payment is best for his kids huh? pfttt.
I say , if your area is one that continues to drop in value, foreclosures still popping up, and on top you never really planned on being there forever....walk away. So has to rent OH NO THE HORRORs, you can rent same home or even better from desperate accidental landlords for way less than the mortgage now a days. His credit will get banged. And? Who's isn't now? Plus if he is in a really bad housing market it will take YEARS for the recovery to even start. Maybe by the time he buys again his credit is restored. And if hes smart he will have saved those 6-8 house payment he never sent to the bank and use that as some of the downpayment. I say do it. And to the people criticizing him..who are you to do so??

Old 08-04-2008, 03:03 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,395,762 times
I am more amazed every day at how self-centered people have become... how they think everything is all about them and how it's their family first. Well, here's a reality check: everybody's house is declining in value. Everybody's family is taking a hit and watching their equity evaporate. What if everybody just walks away and leaves their mess for someone else to clean up? Soon there won't be any someone elses left.

The people who are walking away are counting on their fellow taxpayers to cover their losses. They would be far less likely to walk if their obligations followed. Garnish their wages until their debt is repaid. Now THAT would be "inconvenient."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate