Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 07:50 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,465,107 times

Advertisements

We're in the process of a search. I'm a bit specific on what I want and the market is scary, so there isn't a lot of what/where I want out there.

I go to open houses on my own, just to keep me real about what's selling for how much and to see if I might like a house more than I do with the pictures online. Basically, I don't want to put my agent through the hassle of a showing unless I'm serious.

Here's the question: How many homes does a typical/reasonable buyer usually ask to be shown before they settle on something?

I don't want to be a pain in the butt to my agent, but I also don't want to pass on something I might like because I haven't had a chance to see it.

So far I've seen two homes with my agent. What's the reasonable limit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 08:00 PM

15,575 posts, read 40,421,118 times
I think the most I've shown is about 50. I don't like to talk about that...

Most buyers tend to look at 10-15 with me. We tend to head out for two solid days hitting about 5-7 homes each time.

Old 06-23-2008, 08:54 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,392,902 times
My record is 37 properties in 5 counties in 3-1/2 days. Very, very, VERY special case.

I recommend no more than 6 homes in one day, because after that they all start to run together in your head and you get the Frankenstein-home image trying to remember them all.

However, 10-15 is a good average to look at. Many can be eliminated by your agent just looking at the MLS listing or making a call or two because they'll have some dealbreaker or other that you've told them about, or don't have something you've said you must have.

Old 06-23-2008, 10:26 PM

15,575 posts, read 40,421,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post

I recommend no more than 6 homes in one day, because after that they all start to run together in your head and you get the Frankenstein-home image trying to remember them all.

However, 10-15 is a good average to look at. Many can be eliminated by your agent just looking at the MLS listing or making a call or two because they'll have some dealbreaker or other that you've told them about, or don't have something you've said you must have.
I agree that you don't want to look at too many. I tend to give them nicknames before we leave to help my clients. The "Bamboo Forest House" was one I saw this weekend.

I also recommend taking a lot of notes on the back of the listing sheet. They do run together.

I also map them out. Sometimes, you will rule it out based where it falls on a certain street. After a while, I know which side of the street has flat lots, which has sloped, etc.

Old 06-23-2008, 10:29 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,171,554 times
In a very large metro area you may see 20-40 homes to get a feel of the different areas, prices and what you get for your money. It also depends on how familiar someone is with an area.

I had a guy moved here from Detroit where he made a very bad purchase near a freeway. He wanted to make sure he saw everything in about 4 local suburb cities near DFW airport. We looked at 80 homes in 3 days and he bought the 2nd house I showed him on day 1. He just had to see everything.

Usually 15-30 homes is not unusual.

Old 06-24-2008, 09:40 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,354,654 times
A big factor is the circumstances of the buyer. First time owners need to see more things / different areas. Relocation is another time crunch. Move up buyers often have things fairly narrowed down, sometime too much.

It is one thing to want to physically VISIT at least your top 5 matches AFTER screening things through MLS / online. If the running around results in a SALE no agent is going to cry to much over physically visiting a lot more homes. OTOH if an agent has visited more than 10 -15 properties OR spent more than month or two dashing around and "nothing has stirred my soul" don't be too surprised if you get that agent's voicemail a lot more frequently than they pick up your calls...

Most agents are more than happy if you visit open houses on your own, but a bit courtesy goes a long way too -- if the open house you went to and "fell in love with" was while you were also working closely with another agent you should tell that to the host of the open house / listing agent as soon as possible as the agent that ran around with you did do a LOT to put you in the proper mindset to assess the property that you really wanted. No reason to screw them out of sharing in the commission just because you drove your own car to that particular open house. I'm sure there will be those that disagree with me, but I have been on ALL sides of various transactions and it generally hard to argue that folks RANDOMLY decide that an open house is "the one" without some prep work.

Old 06-24-2008, 09:57 AM

1,989 posts, read 4,465,107 times
Thanks for the input everyone!

10-15 is a lot more than I'm hoping to be "shown" before this is over, so I guess we're okay on that. As for the open houses, I always sign in my realtor's name and let the host know we're working with someone. If nothing else, it's a nice way to prevent the whole sales pitch on working with a different realtor.

I'm sure when we find the "one," even if it's an open house, we'll need to do about 2-3 more walk-thrus to get the comfort level right before the big check gets signed. I have no doubt my agent will earn her money in hand-holding and advice at that time.

Thanks again, everybody.

Old 06-24-2008, 10:09 AM

4,145 posts, read 10,425,743 times
If you're looking at any more than 12 or so, either you're not communicating what you want to your buyer agent, or they're not listening. You should have a feel after about 3 whether you're both on the same page.

Old 06-24-2008, 10:17 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,171,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
If you're looking at any more than 12 or so, either you're not communicating what you want to your buyer agent, or they're not listening. You should have a feel after about 3 whether you're both on the same page.
This is probably true once you've narrowed down where you want to be in a large city. Number 1 goal in a large metro area is figure out "Where" you want to live & commute times to work.

I always feel like the buyer needs to be educated on what they get for their money in different parts of town (that works for them)

Old 06-24-2008, 12:12 PM

92 posts, read 364,699 times
I have seen more than 10 homes for sure. One offer that didn't work out.
One problem I find in selecting through the MLS is that pictures are very misleading (if you don't see a picture on the MLS, it's probably because the kitchen is outdated/tiny; the view picture hides the huge parking lot next door etc.), and facts get misrepresented in the listing (SFH instead of rowhouse; 2 car garage when it's a 1 car with storage and uneven floors separated by a wall). Some of these things can be figured out by looking at zillow pictures, but it's a lot of work...More honesty on the part of the listing agents would make life easier for the buyers and buyers' agents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate