Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2023, 06:04 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,680,678 times

Advertisements

I'm seventy seven, I retired in 07, I was 62 and still feeling like my mid fifties, but time does move along and the best retirement plan includes the long view, not the "livin the dream" plan, but one that lays out a path to your really elderly days. Doesn't matter how you do it necessarily, and most of us didn't have a crystal clear view of our future at retirement, it was mostly that "foggy" part of the picture. But being old and slow when trying to move from the much too big house, and also gearing down on all the other stuff we've all become attached to, it'll become a huge chore from the physical side and a lot of unneeded stress.

Some of the most content retirees I've met are those who have lived the last ten or so years in the same house, weren't too concerned about impressions, and actually seemed not to care about the majority of bogus crap the media entertains their followers with. On another note, I watched a doc on the life of Chuck Leavell, one of our greatest keyboard players ever. He seemed to be transitioning from the music world to his tree farm in Ga. Couldn't help but smile when he described what the criteria is for a good life, no possessions were mentioned. Hope you can find your "spot."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2023, 08:01 PM

6,036 posts, read 3,749,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
I'm seventy seven, I retired in 07, I was 62 and still feeling like my mid fifties, but time does move along and the best retirement plan includes the long view, not the "livin the dream" plan, but one that lays out a path to your really elderly days. Doesn't matter how you do it necessarily, and most of us didn't have a crystal clear view of our future at retirement, it was mostly that "foggy" part of the picture. But being old and slow when trying to move from the much too big house, and also gearing down on all the other stuff we've all become attached to, it'll become a huge chore from the physical side and a lot of unneeded stress.

Some of the most content retirees I've met are those who have lived the last ten or so years in the same house, weren't too concerned about impressions, and actually seemed not to care about the majority of bogus crap the media entertains their followers with. On another note, I watched a doc on the life of Chuck Leavell, one of our greatest keyboard players ever. He seemed to be transitioning from the music world to his tree farm in Ga. Couldn't help but smile when he described what the criteria is for a good life, no possessions were mentioned. Hope you can find your "spot."
But the "good life" means different things to different people. For me, the "good life" means not only having good health, but also being able to enjoy my activities. And these "activities" often require equipment or tools with which to perform the activities.

For example, my favorite activities include golf, shotgun shooting, pickleball, and (believe it or not) doing upkeep/maintenance/repairs on the house and yard and everything in it. This means that I need several golf bags full of clubs (I change clubs frequently based on how they are performing), a safe full of shotguns (and other miscellaneous firearms), some pickleball equipment, and a garage full of all kinds of tools and equipment to repair/fix just about anything on the property.

So, for me, the things that I'm "attached to" are the activities that I do and the equipment that I use in doing these things. I would be miserable beyond belief if I had to get rid of my tools, sports equipment, and stuff that I use to participate in the activities that I enjoy. I have a feeling that the OP rather enjoys his work in building his house, although I imagine that he might wish he had a bit more time for other things too.

Old 04-12-2023, 06:30 AM

840 posts, read 694,798 times
If it were up to me, I'd live in about 700 sq feet. I think anything more is just clutter and useless space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post

Old 04-12-2023, 06:33 AM

I have friends who live in 4000 plus sq foot homes that have multiple rooms they dont use. Honestly a nice small house with a good sized garage for hobby toys would be perfect for most. I have skis, bikes and some tools but noting that a 2.5 car garage wouldnt handle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
But the "good life" means different things to different people. For me, the "good life" means not only having good health, but also being able to enjoy my activities. And these "activities" often require equipment or tools with which to perform the activities.

For example, my favorite activities include golf, shotgun shooting, pickleball, and (believe it or not) doing upkeep/maintenance/repairs on the house and yard and everything in it. This means that I need several golf bags full of clubs (I change clubs frequently based on how they are performing), a safe full of shotguns (and other miscellaneous firearms), some pickleball equipment, and a garage full of all kinds of tools and equipment to repair/fix just about anything on the property.

So, for me, the things that I'm "attached to" are the activities that I do and the equipment that I use in doing these things. I would be miserable beyond belief if I had to get rid of my tools, sports equipment, and stuff that I use to participate in the activities that I enjoy. I have a feeling that the OP rather enjoys his work in building his house, although I imagine that he might wish he had a bit more time for other things too.

Old 04-12-2023, 08:25 AM

6,036 posts, read 3,749,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpranger467 View Post
I have friends who live in 4000 plus sq foot homes that have multiple rooms they dont use. Honestly a nice small house with a good sized garage for hobby toys would be perfect for most. I have skis, bikes and some tools but noting that a 2.5 car garage wouldnt handle.
As far as size of a house or number of rooms, I kind of follow the Boy Scouts motto... "Be Prepared". In other words, I like to have plenty of room (and tools/equipment) to handle nearly any occasion which may arise even though it may not be often.

Sure, a small house is easier and cheaper to maintain, but as long as I've got the money to afford it, I'd rather use that money to buy me things I use and enjoy... even though it may only be occasionally.

Old 04-12-2023, 10:00 AM

4,867 posts, read 4,811,151 times
There is no one size fits all. Two of us live in a 3,300 SF house. We like it and it works for us. My wife has a studio, I have a an office, we have a guest suite for our usual visitors, it's all on one floor and we can easily get our two cars into the 3-car garage. If we wanted a smaller house we would have one. Each person has to decide what works best for them and needs to understand that may not work for someone else.

Old 04-12-2023, 03:44 PM

21,889 posts, read 12,991,949 times
Is OP still here discussing his marriage problem? If he posts this elsewhere, I hope he'll attach the link so we can follow the story. Meanwhile, we're discussing square footage...

Old 04-12-2023, 03:55 PM

5,980 posts, read 7,390,056 times
Quote:
I owned/lived in a 4,000 sf house. Lawyer's foyer, the full monty. While all that room is nice, it's a lot of wasted space, and furthermore, because everyone had their own little area to retreat to, I found it isolating.

Having a large basement for a wood shop was really nice, though. That I miss. However, I wouldn't do it again given the choice.

RM

Old 04-12-2023, 05:39 PM

Perhaps you can opt not to read this thread if you dont like the direction its gone,,,just a thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Is OP still here discussing his marriage problem? If he posts this elsewhere, I hope he'll attach the link so we can follow the story. Meanwhile, we're discussing square footage...

Old 04-12-2023, 05:50 PM

21,889 posts, read 12,991,949 times
Quote:
Perhaps you can opt not to read this thread if you dont like the direction its gone,,,just a thought
I like it when threads stay on topic. I'm funny that way. I would think you would, too, since it's your thread?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate