Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 02:47 PM

1,422 posts, read 2,306,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenchili View Post
Common sense? huh? People are just looking for a good deal, bottom
line. It IS common sense NOT to overpay for a house in this market

Greenchili

Absolutely.

If an offer is ridiculously low, then obviously the seller can decline it.

If the buyer REALLY wants the house, has run the comps and knows the fair market value then you'll probably find you'll be able to compromise halfway.

Of course people are going to try their luck with lowball offers - unless the house is so faultlessly located/unique/immaculate/spectacular that buyers are swarming to it then it's pretty unrealistic to expect full asking price, even if you think it's a fair price.

At least you (OP) are being realistic with checking comps and monitoring the market. Good luck and I hope you find a buyer soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2012, 11:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margel View Post
My story is not a new one. My house has been on the market 13 long months, and yes I have chased the market down in price. The lowest selling price in my neighborhood was $200,000 for a total fixer and a high of $260,000 for a completely redone house. My home has a new kitchen, bath, roof, heat and AC. There really isn't anything that needs to be done to the house except for some cosmetics like paint or carpet because I know some buyers want hard woods and I have wall to wall berber carpeting. My price is now at $214,900. I am the lowest price in the neighborhood and my house is probably one of the nicest for sale right now. I was just offered $180,000 for it. It has been the 2nd offer I have ever received. The first offer was a lowball offer with a contigency in which we countered but wasn't accepted by buyer. We have now countered again at $205,000 and remember, the lowest sold price was $200,000 for a total fixer. I think we are being more than fair and really can't go lower. If the buyers couldn't afford a house in the price range, why do they look? Because it is a buyers market, are sellers supposed to take a huge loss and just deal with it? Honestly, tell my your opinions.
I understand your situation because I have experienced the same way that you do. I have short sold my house for $298k and I've lost $202k we even gave the brand new ref, washer and dryer, with shed, patio cover, landscape and al the upgrades. I did not get a dime from that short sale. Now that I am retired my husband is retired too, we have applied at Wells Fargo through VA loan we were approved but only for $200k. Now the homes in San Diego varies due to zip codes. I saw one for sale for $260k and made an appt to see the agent tomorrow but we are afraid to make an offer of $200k because they might think we are lowballing. The house was appraised for $237k and with VA has their own guidelines. I dont know if we will make an offer but that's what we were approved for, all the homes are in contingcy. So I would say please dont think buyers are taking your house for nothing as we went through the same thing, some went to difficulty of losing their homes like us. Some their credit score are affected big time, ours used to be 750 now due to Short Sale it went down to 698. But thank God we are still preapproved by Wells Fargo, it took them 3 weeks to approve us. And many more conditions to get the final approval. If it's Short Sale make sure before you sign the papers that the Bank will give you a letter stating that the balance is forgiven and both first and second mortgage showed paid, settled in less than full balance. Good luck hope you get the right buyer for your house.

Old 08-07-2018, 09:06 AM

66 posts, read 50,928 times
when someone gives a low-ball offer they should explain what their asking price is based on. In return, counter offer with a fair price with comps attached to show them what is reasonable.

Old 08-07-2018, 09:20 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,792,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy_ View Post
when someone gives a low-ball offer they should explain what their asking price is based on. In return, counter offer with a fair price with comps attached to show them what is reasonable.
This thread is from 10 years ago when the housing market collapsed.

If you want to discuss something similar than maybe it's best that you start a new thread.

Old 08-07-2018, 09:46 AM

14,551 posts, read 12,197,918 times
Poster is new... and is apparently waking up all kinds of old threads.

OP... Does anything in our current list of recently posted topics sound interesting?

Old 08-07-2018, 09:56 AM

6,311 posts, read 4,215,212 times
People can try and others can ignore but never take offense because it’s not personal. We have ignored some in our time and countered others and come to a mutual agreement.

After being on the market for 13 months, I’d say try and make this sale happen and accept you are not going to get what you want. Doesn’t mean you need to take a huge loss but just not getting what you feel it’s worth.

Oh sheesh I see this post by the op is ten years old.

Old 08-07-2018, 11:07 AM

779 posts, read 880,039 times
when these old posts get dredged up, it always makes me wonder what happened with the OP.

Old 08-07-2018, 11:26 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,700,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfieMama View Post
when these old posts get dredged up, it always makes me wonder what happened with the OP.
Hopefully after 10 YEARS the OP sold the house. Or 2. Or maybe 3.

Old 08-07-2018, 11:34 AM

50,481 posts, read 47,192,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hileng View Post
I understand your situation because I have experienced the same way that you do. I have short sold my house for $298k and I've lost $202k we even gave the brand new ref, washer and dryer, with shed, patio cover, landscape and al the upgrades. I did not get a dime from that short sale. Now that I am retired my husband is retired too, we have applied at Wells Fargo through VA loan we were approved but only for $200k. Now the homes in San Diego varies due to zip codes. I saw one for sale for $260k and made an appt to see the agent tomorrow but we are afraid to make an offer of $200k because they might think we are lowballing. The house was appraised for $237k and with VA has their own guidelines. I dont know if we will make an offer but that's what we were approved for, all the homes are in contingcy. So I would say please dont think buyers are taking your house for nothing as we went through the same thing, some went to difficulty of losing their homes like us. Some their credit score are affected big time, ours used to be 750 now due to Short Sale it went down to 698. But thank God we are still preapproved by Wells Fargo, it took them 3 weeks to approve us. And many more conditions to get the final approval. If it's Short Sale make sure before you sign the papers that the Bank will give you a letter stating that the balance is forgiven and both first and second mortgage showed paid, settled in less than full balance. Good luck hope you get the right buyer for your house.
That house for 260 is going for 560 now.

Old 08-08-2018, 09:32 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,727,618 times
Old thread in a buyer’s market, but if seller cannot stomach a lowball offer, he or she can either refuse or come back with a different number.

We did. If it is NOT a buyer’s market, there are still lowball offers from people who think they smell seller desperation as well as smelling oppportunity to make money from that. Having moved out first probably tilts them toward thinking you are desperate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate