Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 11:00 AM

157 posts, read 218,455 times

Advertisements

I'm meeting with a real estate agent (I am coming from out of state) that I am considering. I'll be visiting the NoVA area for work, and thought I'd meet with him for coffee. I need some help coming up with good questions. As a buyer, what is your favorite question to ask to get to know about your potential agent?

I want the meeting to feel fairly informal and comfortable so I can really get to know the kind of person he is, and if we would be a good fit as agent and client.

Here's what I have so far:

How did you decide you wanted to get into real estate?

How long have you been in the business?

How many clients do you typically work with at one time?

Can you tell me a little bit about your negotiation style?

How do you typically handle multiple offer situations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2017, 11:07 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,229,466 times
What are your typical work hours?

Are you able to communicate by phone, email, and text?

Are you able to either Skype, Facetime, or shoot video of homes if we need to make a buying decision but we're not physically present?

Do you think you'll find the house, or I'll find the house?

Old 07-20-2017, 11:13 AM

68 posts, read 90,169 times
Hi,
Great post.
Here are some questions that I prefer to ask while hiring an agent:-
1. What is your experience and local expertise?
2. Are you a member of an agent organization?
3. What is your marketing approach and plan for selling my home?
4. Do you have any service providers that you recommend and can manage on your behalf?
5. Can you provide three references from past clients?
Thanks!!

Old 07-20-2017, 11:14 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,843,144 times
?? - Are you planning on hiring a 'buying agent' at a fixed rate to show you houses; or will they earn their commission if you buy a house through them? What do you expect them to do - other than show you houses that meet your requirements?

I would instead focus on making sure I could give them a very clear idea of what I was looking for -- and evaluate them, based on their recommendations and the houses they showed me. (If you want to build a relationship in the process, go for it -- but, don't lose sight of your primary objective).

Old 07-20-2017, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
?? - Are you planning on hiring a 'buying agent' at a fixed rate to show you houses; or will they earn their commission if you buy a house through them? What do you expect them to do - other than show you houses that meet your requirements?
I expect my agent's level of communication to be reliable and consistent. I expect my agent to take initiative in looking into places that are new to the market that match my criteria so that I can at least put in an offer to compete before it's already under contract. I expect him/her to negotiate on my behalf using the knowledge and experience that I do not have. I mean,there is a laundry list of things that one usually expects from an agent that isn't just showing houses I would think.

My intention in creating a dialogue is for us to set expectations, and to try to better understand if we can meet or exceed those expectations.

Old 07-20-2017, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
Are you able to either Skype, Facetime, or shoot video of homes if we need to make a buying decision but we're not physically present?
I had not even considered this one. Great question!

Old 07-20-2017, 12:48 PM

888 posts, read 890,626 times
(1) Do you own your home or are you a renter.

(2) What is your practice with regard to returning telephone calls and e-mails (within xx hours, for example).

(3) How closely will you read seller disclosure documents to help me know what I need to know about the property? Will you recognize and advise me of inadequate disclosures?

Old 07-20-2017, 01:48 PM

17,712 posts, read 29,844,231 times
How many sides have you done in the last 12 months?

Old 07-20-2017, 02:06 PM

4,641 posts, read 11,943,169 times
Will you exclude houses that are for-sale-by-owner?

Old 07-20-2017, 09:12 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,894,802 times
A lot of excellent questions already posted above.. One I might add, as it's becoming more and more popular (atleast in the Northern Virginia market), is whether the agent is part of a team or not. If the answer is yes, what is the agent you're meeting withs primary function?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate