Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 12:33 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,530,624 times

Advertisements

I use a buyers agent for their expertise in resale and to add another layer of separation between me and sellers agent.

I want someone to objectively tell me what a property is worth without my emotional attachment playing a role, because all real estate purchases should be business decisions.

How many repeat clients do they have? Can I talk to a couple of previous clients?
How many transactions in my price range/ real estate type have you closed in last 2 years?
Are you in good standing with state board? How about lawsuits?
Will you work with my real estate attorney? --this is deal breaker one.
Will you sift properties that do not meet my requirements, so time is not wasted?
Also I'd run a quick google check for newspaper articles or court proceedings to make sure they or their agency is not in some hot water "that everyone knows about" thing.

And have your attorney review any contract you make with buyers agent before you sign it, just as any contract.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2017, 08:50 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
Are you sleeping with the sellers' agent?

Old 07-24-2017, 10:51 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,983,290 times
Can you explain state agency and the contract of sale to me? That will distinguish quickly how familiar they are with the paperwork. If they can't comfortably get you through those then move on.

Old 07-25-2017, 02:43 AM

23 posts, read 21,311 times
You can really do most of the work on the buy side yourself now if you really learn the industry. Caveat being is if you are in a market where you are trying to win bidding wars. I think in those markets, you just need an agent with the right connections to properties as they list.

In my case I am not in a market like that, so I care more about honesty and not eagerness to close deals. That means I scrutinize an agents ability to value properties appropriately and come up with a good offer strategy. I also like agents who are overly conservative in the inspection process to protect my interests. Unfortunately, most agents have an incentive not to fit this mold. You are better off finding a property you really like and then pulling in an agent to help you with paperwork, especially if there is an incentive (like Redfin offers).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate