Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 04:24 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,090,894 times

Advertisements

Dena, some very good points.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 07:23 AM

7 posts, read 24,934 times
Dena, thanks for taking the time to post that wonderful information. Our house is in a very small, rural town in west TN. The kind of town where everybody knows you or is related to you. We have talked to our agent about many of the things you mentioned, and she assured us there is nothing we need to do. The house is empty and staging is absolutely unheard of there. We built the house 5 years ago and my husband was obsessive compulsive about the yard so it has always been perfectly manicured. The colors are pretty neutral except the kids rooms. I don't think small town realtors think the way those in bigger markets do, and that is very frustrating to us. We keep begging for advice and she has none!

Old 02-26-2008, 09:28 AM

2,779 posts, read 5,509,628 times
I keep thinking we must be in denial about our house and it is vacant which is probably not helping. But, its in Brentwood, great schools, its under 500K which is cheap in Brentwood, has a big backyard at the end of a cul-de-sac, is only 5yrs old, 3200sqft, 4 bedrooms, 3.5 baths. When we bought it we were sure it was a great investment.

The funny part is our first house was in the Lipscomb area of Green Hills in a flood zone and we made a great return on it.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:16 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,390,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
It feels like we've just had bad luck. We've had so many people come back for second and third showings and then a) decide on another house or b) decide they have to sell their house first in another city. We've had interested buyers who's contract on their house fell through and another who's wife decided she wanted somewhere to keep horses. We're hoping its just bad luck, have already lowered the price once.
Plenty of articles on the housing market in Nashville. Prices got to high and now a market correction is taking place. It happens.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:34 PM

252 posts, read 391,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
Plenty of articles on the housing market in Nashville. Prices got to high and now a market correction is taking place. It happens.
Sorry to the Sellers,We just sold our home for 40% below its 2005 value. A hard pill to swallow, but we wanted to sell and that was that. We are finding housing to be vastly OVERPRICED in the Nashville market. Seems like there is a great disconnect between sellers and what their home is REALLY worth(market value). If things do not cool off here we will be forced into leaving. We are waiting on the sidelines as many others. Good luck to all!

Old 02-26-2008, 09:46 PM

252 posts, read 391,964 times
Quote:
I keep thinking we must be in denial about our house and it is vacant which is probably not helping. But, its in Brentwood, great schools, its under 500K which is cheap in Brentwood, has a big backyard at the end of a cul-de-sac, is only 5yrs old, 3200sqft, 4 bedrooms, 3.5 baths. When we bought it we were sure it was a great investment.

The funny part is our first house was in the Lipscomb area of Green Hills in a flood zone and we made a great return on it.
Sorry, I know how you feel. Just be glad you're not trying to sell in FL or CA.Good luck!

Old 02-26-2008, 10:03 PM

32 posts, read 125,721 times
Quote:
I have a house in Brentwood, TN that's been on the market now for three months. Its very frustrating, its a great house on a cul-de-sac with a great backyard! When we bought it two years ago we had to fight 4 other offers within 48hrs of it hitting the market.

We moved out to the northwest about a month ago, we're in a little apartment with all of our stuff in storage...its awful, I feel your pain.
Are you in Williamson Co. or Davidson Co? What is the sq ft. and price range? What area (Street/vicinity....)? Relocating and having a helluva time here too

Old 02-26-2008, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denawilliams View Post
To both of you trying to sell, I'm sorry that it has not turned out as you expected. It can be a tough market out there today, but even with competition and buyers with too much to choose from that they easily forget your house, there are ways to make your home very memorable and stick out against all the others.

I have not seen either of your houses so I'm not making any assumptions, but here are some general tips. Hopefully, some of these will be ones that you can use.

First, I would have your realtor take you to the other homes that are your direct competition. Look at them from a buyer's perspective. Would you choose one of them over your home? How are they priced compared to your house? Look at the price per square foot calculation...how much more or less is yours? How do they look from the front compared to yours? What is the interior like compared to yours? Do they have upgrades in kitchens and bathrooms and flooring and exterior that you do not? Do they appear to be in better move in ready condition than yours? Hopefully, you'll be able to pick up a few things you like about those houses that you can easily implement at home, especially if you find that some of your competition has a few superior features. Have the realtor review the comparable sales in the last 3-5 months, depending on how many have sold. What was the average price it sold per square foot? How much more per square foot is yours listed? If it's above average, it's okay that it's listed above the average, but it probably shouldn't be priced way above the averages. A few dollars per square foot really adds up, so it might be something to consider. Adjust your price if necessary based on what you find. Generally, the rule of thumb is that if you haven't had showings in the last month, then people probably feel it's priced too high.

However, the other biggie besides price is condition. Condition has NEVER been more important in the sale of a house than today. In this area, people are accustomed to living in the house for a few years, making few changes, and then selling it without a problem. Today, buyers want all the bells and whistles and for it to appear to be completely problem free, and it is understandable considering they have many options and can easily go to the one that does offer all they seek. It is hard to view your own home through the magnifying glass of another buyer, but go through your house as if you were looking to buy it today and be crazy picky at repairing everything that needs repairs. Are there cracks in and around trim and molding? If so, caulk it. Are their nail pops? Fix them. Does your paint in the home look practically untouched? If not, repaint it. As for colors of paint throughout, you want to make sure it is neutral, but probably not so neutral that it is the builder grade colors that the builder would use. Those, while they appear to be neutral, also appear to be "cold" to some people too. You want your home to be as inviting as possible so someone could see themselves living there. Most buyers don't look at what they can redo or change...they look at it as it is today. Are there rooms with little or poor lighting? Lighting can be a small investment that will pay off because it is important to set a tone or environment in a home. Is there anything that a buyer would question the condition of the house like a water stain in a ceiling or stains in the carpet or open wiring? A lot of times we overlook things that really aren't issues at all, but they may appear to be to someone else. From the outside, are your windows and doors sealed well? Are there faded shutters or exterior paint wearing? Are there missing stones or bricks or rotten boards? Are your trees and shrubs trimmed nicely so that the house is very easily seen and nicely framed? If it's still on the market when lawns start to sprout have your lawn fertilized and treated by a professional and have it the best looking lawn in the area. Back to the inside...are your kitchens and bathrooms up with the standards that are being put in brand new homes? I realize complete renovations can be very costly, but there are lots of things that you can do to add value and interest without doing a complete renovation. You can paint outdated cabinets. Upgrading appliances are an expense, but if it's needed and you can do it...stainless is still the preference. Replacing countertops in kitchens can be a mid-grade expense that might make the difference in selling your home. Granite obviously makes an impact.

The last thing about your house that I know you definitely can control with few costs is how it is staged. If you have acquired a lot of things, you might consider getting a head start on packing for your move. Putting items you don't need in storage can help a ton. Have all closets only 1/2 filled that are organized very neatly. Take personalization out of the rooms like hallways of family photos, etc. Keep only the furniture and items in a room that makes sense for that room to flow while eliminating items that create too much for the eye or that make the room feel smaller. Remember, it's your house you're trying to show off...not your stuff! Make sure each room is laid out so that it feels homey. For instance, make sure the furniture is positioned so that the fireplace is the focal point in the family room (instead of a tv). As you go into other rooms create similar position patterns based on the focal point in that room. Lastly, sparkle clean, very clean, extremely clean! And clutter free....

A home that is in tip top condition (both with repairs done and in great showing condition) and that is priced right will attract buyers.

I know that was long, but I hope there was something that you hadn't thought of yet that will help!

Good luck.
ABSOLUTELY $$$$$$$$$$ IN YOUR POCKET INFORMATION. WELL SAID.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CITYCHICK View Post
Are you in Williamson Co. or Davidson Co? What is the sq ft. and price range? What area (Street/vicinity....)? Relocating and having a helluva time here too
I DIDN'T SEE THE EARLIER POST OF INFORMATION. Internet is slow tonight or my eyesight one. Oh well, I do know that seems way overpriced. Keep in mind the NATIONAL AVERAGE per sq. ft. Also, I know BRENTWOOD is WELL above average but the buyers market being what it is will SLOWLY reflect that. I wish you the best.....sellers are ALL in the same boat right now.....Best Regards

Old 02-26-2008, 10:27 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,395,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denawilliams View Post
To both of you trying to sell, I'm sorry that it has not turned out as you expected. It can be a tough market out there today, but even with competition and buyers with too much to choose from that they easily forget your house, there are ways to make your home very memorable and stick out against all the others.

I have not seen either of your houses so I'm not making any assumptions, but here are some general tips. Hopefully, some of these will be ones that you can use.

First, I would have your realtor take you to the other homes that are your direct competition. Look at them from a buyer's perspective. Would you choose one of them over your home? How are they priced compared to your house? Look at the price per square foot calculation...how much more or less is yours? How do they look from the front compared to yours? What is the interior like compared to yours? Do they have upgrades in kitchens and bathrooms and flooring and exterior that you do not? Do they appear to be in better move in ready condition than yours? Hopefully, you'll be able to pick up a few things you like about those houses that you can easily implement at home, especially if you find that some of your competition has a few superior features. Have the realtor review the comparable sales in the last 3-5 months, depending on how many have sold. What was the average price it sold per square foot? How much more per square foot is yours listed? If it's above average, it's okay that it's listed above the average, but it probably shouldn't be priced way above the averages. A few dollars per square foot really adds up, so it might be something to consider. Adjust your price if necessary based on what you find. Generally, the rule of thumb is that if you haven't had showings in the last month, then people probably feel it's priced too high.

However, the other biggie besides price is condition. Condition has NEVER been more important in the sale of a house than today. In this area, people are accustomed to living in the house for a few years, making few changes, and then selling it without a problem. Today, buyers want all the bells and whistles and for it to appear to be completely problem free, and it is understandable considering they have many options and can easily go to the one that does offer all they seek. It is hard to view your own home through the magnifying glass of another buyer, but go through your house as if you were looking to buy it today and be crazy picky at repairing everything that needs repairs. Are there cracks in and around trim and molding? If so, caulk it. Are their nail pops? Fix them. Does your paint in the home look practically untouched? If not, repaint it. As for colors of paint throughout, you want to make sure it is neutral, but probably not so neutral that it is the builder grade colors that the builder would use. Those, while they appear to be neutral, also appear to be "cold" to some people too. You want your home to be as inviting as possible so someone could see themselves living there. Most buyers don't look at what they can redo or change...they look at it as it is today. Are there rooms with little or poor lighting? Lighting can be a small investment that will pay off because it is important to set a tone or environment in a home. Is there anything that a buyer would question the condition of the house like a water stain in a ceiling or stains in the carpet or open wiring? A lot of times we overlook things that really aren't issues at all, but they may appear to be to someone else. From the outside, are your windows and doors sealed well? Are there faded shutters or exterior paint wearing? Are there missing stones or bricks or rotten boards? Are your trees and shrubs trimmed nicely so that the house is very easily seen and nicely framed? If it's still on the market when lawns start to sprout have your lawn fertilized and treated by a professional and have it the best looking lawn in the area. Back to the inside...are your kitchens and bathrooms up with the standards that are being put in brand new homes? I realize complete renovations can be very costly, but there are lots of things that you can do to add value and interest without doing a complete renovation. You can paint outdated cabinets. Upgrading appliances are an expense, but if it's needed and you can do it...stainless is still the preference. Replacing countertops in kitchens can be a mid-grade expense that might make the difference in selling your home. Granite obviously makes an impact.

The last thing about your house that I know you definitely can control with few costs is how it is staged. If you have acquired a lot of things, you might consider getting a head start on packing for your move. Putting items you don't need in storage can help a ton. Have all closets only 1/2 filled that are organized very neatly. Take personalization out of the rooms like hallways of family photos, etc. Keep only the furniture and items in a room that makes sense for that room to flow while eliminating items that create too much for the eye or that make the room feel smaller. Remember, it's your house you're trying to show off...not your stuff! Make sure each room is laid out so that it feels homey. For instance, make sure the furniture is positioned so that the fireplace is the focal point in the family room (instead of a tv). As you go into other rooms create similar position patterns based on the focal point in that room. Lastly, sparkle clean, very clean, extremely clean! And clutter free....

A home that is in tip top condition (both with repairs done and in great showing condition) and that is priced right will attract buyers.

I know that was long, but I hope there was something that you hadn't thought of yet that will help!

Good luck.
Great advice. You must be a very good realtor!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate