Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Tell us about your communication preferences!
I only receive text messages on my phone. 2 3.70%
II receive text message alerts and email alerts on a smartphone. 12 22.22%
Whether phone, tablet, or computer, I have to log in to "check my email." 3 5.56%
I am a consumer and I never use text/SMS for anything. 8 14.81%
I am a consumer and I prefer text over email. 6 11.11%
I am a consumer and I prefer email over text. 26 48.15%
I am a consumer and I never use email for anything. 0 0%
I am a consumer and all I care about is clear and efficient communication. 10 18.52%
I am a licensed real estate agent and I never use text/SMS for anything. 0 0%
I am a licensed real estate agent and I prefer text over email. 2 3.70%
I am a licensed real estate agent and I never use email for anything. 0 0%
I am a licensed real estate agent and I prefer email over text/SMS.. 4 7.41%
I am a licensed real estate agent and all I care about is clear and efficient communication. 3 5.56%
Other. Discuss. 4 7.41%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2016, 11:23 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,147,564 times

Advertisements

Curious - since the topic is communication:

If you get a website request for more information, how do you normally respond?

Here's my issue, it happens often, and today it happened again. I spotted a property online searching the mls. I wanted some specific information on it, so I sent a request and included my phone number only because the request would not send without it. I also included, as requested, my email address.

I received a phone call. My reaction is - why in heck would you do that? If I wanted to have a phone chat, I could have phoned the number on the listing - but I didn't because I cannot chat on the phone. I sent the request via email/non-verbal so I expect the response to be "in kind". This is not the first time. Even worse, the person wasting my time did not have the information I needed.

So, if you are among those who return an internet request with a phone number, what is/are your reason(s)? If you respond via email - I thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2016, 08:02 AM

43,431 posts, read 77,366,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
Curious - since the topic is communication:

If you get a website request for more information, how do you normally respond?

Here's my issue, it happens often, and today it happened again. I spotted a property online searching the mls. I wanted some specific information on it, so I sent a request and included my phone number only because the request would not send without it. I also included, as requested, my email address.

I received a phone call. My reaction is - why in heck would you do that? If I wanted to have a phone chat, I could have phoned the number on the listing - but I didn't because I cannot chat on the phone. I sent the request via email/non-verbal so I expect the response to be "in kind". This is not the first time. Even worse, the person wasting my time did not have the information I needed.

So, if you are among those who return an internet request with a phone number, what is/are your reason(s)? If you respond via email - I thank you.
Your situation is unique to you. It probably would be great if the contact form on the website requested which type of response you preferred.

Email responses to internet inquiries have a very low rate of reply.
There is a reason I included, "Whether phone, tablet, or computer, I have to log in to 'check my email.'"
Only a minority of respondents indicated that they have emails pushed to their phone. (You are one, of course."
Many people "check email" infrequently, and that delays engagement with the contact.

Phone is more immediate, and higher rate of successful contact for the site owner.
An agent wants the highest rate of contact and engagement.

You might skip the site contact form and email the agent directly, and see if that improves your experience.

Old 07-09-2016, 10:24 PM
C7C

101 posts, read 102,105 times
Phone call. Voice gives more details and can hear tone of voice.

Old 07-10-2016, 12:42 AM

3,198 posts, read 13,421,667 times
I like texts because if it is something fairly urgent, I see it right away. If necessary I will follow up with an email, but I also often just "save" the text as a snapshot then print it out if I feel that I'll need some record of the conversation. This actually happens pretty often with tenants; not so much with sales clients.

Old 07-10-2016, 05:59 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,818,456 times
I prefer to communicate via email. It's easier to write more via email and send it to multiple people, and forward it to yourself or do a BCC, blind carbon copy to another email, it's also easier to add links or attachments with email. I check my email all the time. Text is good when I'm away from the computer or they can't reach my by phone such as when my ringer was off and I didn't know it. Text is also good for a quick yer or not question.

Old 07-10-2016, 09:23 AM

8,676 posts, read 22,970,224 times
You can also text to any phone number from your email. Since my emails are my written records, I use the frequently. And when the recipient replies, it's in my inbox. Example: Verizon is (10 digit phone #)@vtext.com

Each carrier has this ability (this may be widely known, but it's been great for my processor, who doesn't want his personal cell in use to get my attention quickly) and their own texting address. I have the address list if it's of any interest.

Old 07-10-2016, 09:23 AM

1,073 posts, read 1,048,177 times
I have a data phone. I have multiple email accounts I read on the phone. Email is not instantaneous like a text message, but really isn't distinguishable in an argument over convenience for me personally. Email is better for me because as another poster mentioned, I can also access email from other devices, including a public library computer if I found myself without the phone and away from all other electronic leashes.

In my last 7 RE transactions, email was a significant enabler. I am 49 year old consumer. Don't call me. I don't want to write down or memorize our conversation--text or email. I always made my communications preferences clear to the agents I worked with on my transactions--none of them had any issues with any of it.

I would question the competence of anyone in any business who mentioned a fax.

Old 07-10-2016, 09:54 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,147,564 times
Thanks, Mike. I'll be less annoyed the next time the phone rings to answer my question.

I have one realtor I tried to use in the nearby town who does not have a cell phone so texting is out; he doesn't have email either; so the only way to communicate is make the 1/2 hour drive to his office, hope he is in or wait for him to get called in. And my offer wasn't for cash so we lost that one anyway to a flipper.

I like this man, but communication with him is too difficult for me.

Old 07-10-2016, 09:59 AM

43,431 posts, read 77,366,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
Thanks, Mike. I'll be less annoyed the next time the phone rings to answer my question.

I have one realtor I tried to use in the nearby town who does not have a cell phone so texting is out; he doesn't have email either; so the only way to communicate is make the 1/2 hour drive to his office, hope he is in or wait for him to get called in. And my offer wasn't for cash so we lost that one anyway to a flipper.

I like this man, but communication with him is too difficult for me.
and Wow.
Annie,
You are indeed "Country Folk Now."

Old 07-10-2016, 09:54 PM

5,611 posts, read 6,549,251 times
I am "old school" and don't have anybody that I am in "constant" communication with so I don't do texting. To reach me you call my home number and leave a message if I am not home. My little TracPhone that I buy minutes for is used in case of emergency only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate