Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 06:03 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,120,339 times

Advertisements

Generally, I don't look at the details if there is no picture. No picture = dump to me. But, once in a while my curiosity will get the best of me, so to see a glimpse of the house, I'll do a Google Map street view . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 06:44 PM

6,504 posts, read 10,422,712 times
What happens when there is no Google Map street view ?? I my market, it is never a given that there will be one. It has increased over the years.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:12 PM

34,151 posts, read 83,233,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
What happens when there is no Google Map street view ??
Go to satellite view.

But at some point... it will still come down to the drive-by.
Even if it's the teardown that the price implies.

Old 06-27-2013, 09:09 AM

1,101 posts, read 2,740,805 times
It's hard to say why some homes are advertised with no photos. Real estate agents are sometimes too lazy to put an adequate number of photos on places like Zillow. When I first listed my prior home in 2009, the agent boasted that it would appear just about everywhere on the web. Well, I checked and that was not always so. In fact, while a dozen or so pictures were on the MLS listing (although more were allowable), there were only a handful or one on some of the other web ads.

Sometimes it's all about marketing. I believe I got my current home for a good price because the selling agent did a poor job of marketing and presentation.

Old 06-30-2013, 10:38 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,869,981 times
And today's listing:

The house has been listed since 12/2012, one exterior photograph, with this at the end of the listing description - "No showings until deal is negotiated. Happy Sale...Motivated Seller. Do Not Disturb Tenants!!!! "

I suspect, since the price is roughly average for the neighborhood, that this will stay unsold, and for quite a while.

Old 06-30-2013, 10:47 AM

6,504 posts, read 10,422,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
And today's listing:

The house has been listed since 12/2012, one exterior photograph, with this at the end of the listing description - "No showings until deal is negotiated. Happy Sale...Motivated Seller. Do Not Disturb Tenants!!!! "

I suspect, since the price is roughly average for the neighborhood, that this will stay unsold, and for quite a while.
I would NEVER present that type of listing to a customer of mine. I suspect very few realtors would do so either. Obviously that seller is not so motivated.

I know that in Florida that the current tenant lease would have to be honored by the new buyer, but I see no reason why a tenant could refuse to allow the home to be shown to a potential buyer.

Old 07-01-2013, 05:47 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,178,777 times
Ya, bad photos or lack of them are a pet peeve of mine. A couple of years ago a home in our sub was not selling. The price was really good. In fact, so good it bummed me out because the house is larger than mine was priced far below what I had paid. Anyway, the photos were amusing. Several were of the floor looking toward the wall. For this to be done, the realtor had have laid on the floor. One photo was of the kitchen, you could see what the tile floor and the bottom part of the dishwasher. That was it for the kitchen photos. It was bizarre.

The house didnt sell for a long time. I started to wonder what was wrong. Then the seller got a new realtor. The photos were plenty and you could see the house. The house sold in 2 weeks. I think people figured the house being priced so low and the horrible photos meant something must be wrong. Turns out it was a business relocation and the seller was actually a corporation that relocated their employee. They listed it cheap to get rid of it not because anything was wrong.

A relative of mine just listed their house. I looked it up on realtor.com I dont know what is worse, no photos or "creative" photos. His agent used a fish eye lens so all the rooms are distorted. Some do this to make the rooms appear bigger. The house is large with large bedrooms but in the photos the twin bed in one room looks like a distorted queen size.

Old 07-01-2013, 12:11 PM

3,722 posts, read 4,879,725 times
When I was looking I automatically ignored any listing with no pictures, fish eyed/wide angled pictures, listings with mostly pictures of individual item/plants/furniture, and listings with only pictures of local parks etc...
I wanted to see what the house looked like and the lay out. I wasn't looking for an upper end house either. Without any pictures of what the inside of the house looks like I would have no idea how it was layed out and would not waste mine or anybody elses time in looking at anything not showing it. Too me it's lazyness on someones part.

Old 07-01-2013, 01:05 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,262,731 times
Sometimes, no photos are used because the property could generate a lot of interest with or without photos. So why bother?

Below is an example, no photo whatsoever, listed for $609k in Sept 10th and went pending two months later after several rounds of multiple bids; final sold price: $1.54 millions, more than double the asking price.

53-55 Sanchez St, San Francisco, CA 94114 | MLS# 400746 | Redfin

Another example, also no photo listed, put on the market July 13th and went pending three weeks later and sold for full price.

1356-1358 47th Ave, San Francisco, CA 94122 | MLS# 398802 | Redfin

There are markets where a house sells itself. In that kind of market, it almost seems like a real estate agent can just whisper a house for sale in a public place and get multiple offers.

Old 07-01-2013, 03:19 PM

373 posts, read 645,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Many MLS's require one exterior shot so that is why you see the one. Sometimes it is because the people living there are hoarders and there is no way to take interior photos. Sometimes the house is just nasty inside. Most of the time, I think it is because the agent is lazy.
In my area, it is because the house is so bad inside, there was nothing positive that needed a picture. The mystery is what drawls you in, then you leave needing a shower. No joke, just this month, I have walked into a basement with standing water and another that had scalloped shaped fungus growing on the walls and ceiling.

Unfortunately this has been a common probkem in my search. I have been looking for two years and really getting frustrated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate