Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 07:19 AM

160 posts, read 508,423 times

Advertisements

One of things that I have always seen while hunting for a 'dream' home is that the photo of the listing agent bears no resembalance to their current self. In some cases, the photos seem to be from 20-30yrs ago. This makes me feel that agents - probably - have this overwhelming feeling to look young but does this matter in a real estate transaction where intangibles like credibility, fairness etc would seem to matter more than how the agent looks. The apparent off-the-cuff answer should be that looks shouldn't matter but then why does this happen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 07:35 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,894,037 times
Personally, I change my picture every year. I don't always get around to updating every single website I have my profile on, but my business cards and main marketing things have my current picture.

However, I don't always look like my picture because I have curly hair and I always do my pictures in straight hair as I think it looks more professional. Some times I want it curly, and sometimes I want it straight. More often than not, it's straight, but in the hot summer time, it's curly because I don't want to mess with the hot, flat iron.

I'm not trying to deceive anyone; I just have different looks throughout the year. Also, I cut my hair right after my last pictures were done, oops, but it still looks like current me.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:55 AM

115 posts, read 369,995 times
Funny. There used to be a remax ad on a bus shelter near my friends house in Ajax, Ontario.it had been there for as long as I can remember. When my friends parents moved, they called the agent. I was always at their house and actually happened to be there one time when he stopped by. He must have been in his 40s while the ad had been taken in his 20s. It's exactly what the op is talking about. It floored me. That ad stayed up there for a few more years and then went away. But after that it became obvious the picture was old because the clothes and hair style looked dated. Just didnt make the connection before.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:19 AM

3,826 posts, read 5,838,548 times
I am 100% agree with you!!! Every agent I met had old pictures of themselfs like from 20-30 years back! One time I even didn't recognize the agent.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:35 AM

160 posts, read 508,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
Personally, I change my picture every year. I don't always get around to updating every single website I have my profile on, but my business cards and main marketing things have my current picture.
Well, if an agent does end up updating every single website it tells me they 've lot of time to expend

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
However, I don't always look like my picture because I have curly hair and I always do my pictures in straight hair as I think it looks more professional. Some times I want it curly, and sometimes I want it straight. More often than not, it's straight, but in the hot summer time, it's curly because I don't want to mess with the hot, flat iron.

I'm not trying to deceive anyone; I just have different looks throughout the year. Also, I cut my hair right after my last pictures were done, oops, but it still looks like current me.
What you 've said is fair enough & I would be 'surprised' if anyone does end up looking exactly like their picture but when you put your face on the brochure wouldn't it be better if the agent puts a more - accurate - representation of his/her self

Old 03-26-2013, 09:38 AM

43,527 posts, read 77,570,853 times
One advantage of being a feller is that we wear our hair the same for years, even after it falls out.
And we keep the clothes we wore to high school for 30 years.
Unfortunately, I never owned a leisure suit.....

My photo is from 2009, I think. I had a re-shoot and just didn't like it, so I need to do that again.
But, I probably still have the red shirt.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:53 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,894,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_junta View Post
What you 've said is fair enough & I would be 'surprised' if anyone does end up looking exactly like their picture but when you put your face on the brochure wouldn't it be better if the agent puts a more - accurate - representation of his/her self
Yes, I completely agree. I get annoyed when I'm handed a card that looks nothing like the person, which is why I update mine, though I haven't changed much. If I used a picture that was 20+ years old, it would be a high school yearbook photo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
My photo is from 2009, I think. I had a re-shoot and just didn't like it, so I need to do that again. But, I probably still have the red shirt.
Two of my pictures, taken about 3 years apart, used the same shirt. I like that shirt, I still have that shirt (I have the same shirt in pink too), and it's a great shade of very dark purple, so it photographs well. I did brown with jeans in my latest picture for a casual look, as well as a full body shot instead of a headshot, but still like the purple better!!

Old 03-26-2013, 11:27 AM

15,619 posts, read 40,619,304 times
I look like my photo. People wear glasses, dye their hair, cut it short, etc. Your face should still look similar though. When someone has wrinkles and gray hair and their photo is sans such things...well time for a new photo.

I think the reason agents do it is because some real estate sales people talk about the importance of plastering your photo everywhere to help brand your services. So your face becomes part of your brand. When you change your image all the time, it might confuse consumers to know that the blond Sue is the same agent as the brown haired Sue was. Curly haired FHW is the same as straight haired FHW.

Agents are just confused about what branding is.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:36 PM

43,527 posts, read 77,570,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
I look like my photo. People wear glasses, dye their hair, cut it short, etc. Your face should still look similar though. When someone has wrinkles and gray hair and their photo is sans such things...well time for a new photo.

I think the reason agents do it is because some real estate sales people talk about the importance of plastering your photo everywhere to help brand your services. So your face becomes part of your brand. When you change your image all the time, it might confuse consumers to know that the blond Sue is the same agent as the brown haired Sue was. Curly haired FHW is the same as straight haired FHW.

Agents are just confused about what branding is.
Right all around. (Some agents think "Facebook Blowhard REALTOR®" is an enviable brand....)

I would add, it is worth knowing that GOOG facial recognition algorithms developed in image search are rewarding people who have a clean headshot on their sites....

Old 03-26-2013, 04:37 PM

273 posts, read 1,062,928 times
who cares what the agent looks like? i am not there to marry him or her. he is a middle man who wants a piece of my cash. i am interested in getting the best bang for the buck when i buy the house. it could a be robot or an outsourced laborer in india talking to me through a computer while i browse the house and i could care less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate