Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2013, 01:31 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,234,345 times

Advertisements

I may be some time away from finishing saving for my down payment, but I'd like to start doing research on building your own house. I have a bit of a wish list for mainly the kitchen, bathrooms, windows, insulation, and patio deck but other than that, I wish to have a normal two or three bedroom home on a decent size lot.

What are some things I should be looking into?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 04:39 PM

17,714 posts, read 29,849,261 times
1. Watch the movie: Mr Blandings Builds His Dream Home
2. Subscribe to Fine Homebuilding magazine.
3. Watch HGTV and DIY
4. Subscribe to a house magazine that reflects your preferred style. For example, Dwell for modern look.

Old 04-08-2013, 04:59 PM

17 posts, read 41,282 times
I would suggest visiting the GardenWeb forums. There are forums for home building, lighting, kitchens, baths (and lots of other specifics). I've learned more there about features, gadgets, and things to consider when remodeling or building than 10 years' worth of watching HGTV. That Home Site! Forums - GardenWeb

Old 04-09-2013, 06:51 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,234,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poster0221 View Post
I would suggest visiting the GardenWeb forums. There are forums for home building, lighting, kitchens, baths (and lots of other specifics). I've learned more there about features, gadgets, and things to consider when remodeling or building than 10 years' worth of watching HGTV. That Home Site! Forums - GardenWeb
Back when I had the tv, HGTV was my favorite channel next to local news and the weather channel. I only want really a few things:

An island kitchen/bar (built to accommodate a unique appliance) that opens up to an open concept living room with windows...

...And two bathrooms with his and hers sinks and a walk-in tiled shower.

...Other than that, that's about it, since I just want a regular home, about 1600 sq feet large.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:18 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,941,317 times
When building your own home, most folks get lost in what they want versus what they can afford. Remember that anything you roll into the mortgage you'll be paying on for the next 30 years PLUS interest. Items like appliances should never be put in a mortgage as the mortgage will last longer than the appliance. Same with carpet. You can upgrade the pad to like an 8lb rebond which will make builder grade carpet look and feel like high dollar carpet and it will make the carpet last longer. When recarpeting in about 10 years, you use the same pad. When designing the home, the east/west orientation is everything. Put the garage on the cold weather side of the home to block off the wind. Think about window placement in home versus the cold weather. Never put a glass siding door to any weather as they leak tremendously and if at all possible, never use a glass sliding door. Make sure all exterior doors have a roof over them and are not exposed to any direct weather. Use windows with at minimum Low E glass. Low E Squared glass is much better. Do not attempt to save money on windows. Any initial savings will soon evaporate in lost energy. Consider the heating and cooling options that will fit the long term needs the most efficient. Talk with the A/C installer about using a fresh air intake. It can eliminate moisture and mold in a stuffy house. Use any radiant barrier materials you can. Avoid figerglas tubs and enclosures. They get grungy quick and there's only one fix- replacement. Use enameled iron tubs and tile enclosures if possible. Avoid any house design with a cut up roof line. It's the popular thing these days to have many gables all over the roof. This requires more lumber, more flashing, and the chances of roof leaks abound. Keep it simple. Consider long term maintenance. Use brick where ever possible including in the eaves.
Also read a lot. Here's the absolute best website for learning what is right for your area. What works for us in the South may not work where you are wanting to build.
Building Science Information

Old 04-09-2013, 09:28 AM

238 posts, read 590,481 times
After only having to do only minor modifications to make the inside of our house handicap accessible, I would make the inside of your house handicap accessible. ( you already mentioned the walk in shower)

You certainly don't need a ramp, but if you ever need it ( or sell) your house is accessible.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:09 AM

Default Excellent Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkansas Mac View Post
After only having to do only minor modifications to make the inside of our house handicap accessible, I would make the inside of your house handicap accessible. ( you already mentioned the walk in shower)
Curbless shower is the best.
Doing universal design from the beginning is a great idea.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:34 AM

238 posts, read 590,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Curbless shower is the best.
Doing universal design from the beginning is a great idea.
Yes, curbless is what I was thinking.

( one where a wheelchair can be pushed right in and tiled floor is sloped towards drain.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:23 AM

2,353 posts, read 3,866,230 times
We are now in the process of designing our home.

For years, we have walked through model homes, been on lots of home tours, and gone through open houses. Take a photo of what features you like and put them into a "Dream Home" folder. Actually think about living in those homes as you tour and note what works for you and what doesn't work. (We've made several out of town trips to take home tours because they sounded like homes with features that interested us)

Look at house plans online. There are thousands out there, but you can limit by size and cost, to winnow them down somewhat. Again, make note of features that you like and add to your "Dream Home" folder.

Read through those home decorating magazines. Lots of good ideas and info on things like how to make small spaces work and flooring and the latest green technology.

After viewing hundreds of homes and looking at thousands of floor plans, we now have a pretty good idea of what we want and don't want in our new home.

Don't rush it.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:15 AM

Default Good advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DitsyD View Post
We are now in the process of designing our home...After viewing hundreds of homes and looking at thousands of floor plans, we now have a pretty good idea of what we want and don't want in our new home. Don't rush it.
True.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate