Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 07:54 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,884,010 times

Advertisements

I'm not an agent, but if I was, I doubt I'd be frustrated with you

My husband and I recently went through the process, and even though we had a few more measurable criteria (regarding garage size, number of bedrooms, bathrooms, etc- in addition to the fact that we wanted a late 1940s-1960s home) and a set in stone maximum price- we weren't specific about the area as long as it was a reasonable commute to St. Louis, and as long as it was a 'safe' well maintained neighborhood.

Our buyers agent probably showed us dozens of properties before we narrowed it down to two contenders and then finally purchased one.

It's the job of a real estate agent to make you happy and find you your dream home. That's what they're going to be getting their commission for after all!

Our buyers agent did an exceptional job showing us a wide variety of houses (we ended up also being interested in a 1920s property, which we didn't expect!) because even though we came in with specifications, like you, I think we would 'know when we saw it' if a property was right for us or not.

You're doing the right thing by looking at properties yourself first to whittle down the contenders.

The main thing DH & I learned though was to be realistic in our expectations. We knew that for our budget, we would have to make some concessions and do some work on the property, but after seeing some disasterous houses within our price range- that really hit home! As it stands though, we got everything we wanted in a house even though it's going to be a 'project' for a while. In fact, I've got contractors here bringing the electric up to code right now!

Anyway, Best of luck to you! Buying a house is EXCITING I hope you are lucky enough to find a great buyers agent!

Kindest Regards,
Amber
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 08:20 AM

718 posts, read 2,083,210 times
Do you want to be shown every refrigerator in every store by someone explaining the virtues of in-door water? No, you want to look at as many as you please and then find a salesperson to "sell" it to you...the one you want, the one you chose. I became a Realtor after moving 18 times in 25 years and tiring of intrusive agents. I knew what I wanted and where I wanted to be and one Sunday, I got the only Realtor who was in her office that day. She was just fine and sold us the property we chose. Real estate is just like any other sales business, only with ethics, which car salesmen and stove salesmen don't have. I would love buyers like you. My job is to funnel you information about every property you think you might want to see....and if lucky enough to be chosen to accompany you, then you get the benefit of the rest of my abilities. I like to think that the buying public has a brain, can determine what they think they want and where they want to be. I also don't point out rooms, because frankly, if you can't tell a living room from a bedroom, you don't need a house.

Old 09-13-2012, 10:45 AM

64 posts, read 144,591 times
Quote:
I like to think that the buying public has a brain, can determine what they think they want and where they want to be. I also don't point out rooms, because frankly, if you can't tell a living room from a bedroom, you don't need a house.
Amen to that. We just want to see the place on the inside - that's all. Some agents thinks that act entitles them to a commission when in fact we are doing most of the leg work. If I could go directly to the seller to view a house I would and then if it was something we liked.. then get agents involved.

Old 09-13-2012, 11:41 AM

3,398 posts, read 5,115,768 times
What this buyer is doing isn't that unusual. When I talk to a buyer and ask them how they would like to do things it is one of the options. Some people like to be sent a list and do drive buys and narrow it down that way. Before I had an agent I bought my houses that way. Not a problem buyer at all. Doing things the other way often enough there will be some homes they don't like before they even get out of the car, because they didn't check out the neighborhood first.

Old 09-13-2012, 12:06 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,805,960 times
What the OP is doing is perfectly reasonable. They are not wasting listing agents time by asking them to show the homes, like some others do. They do go into open houses, which is fine, and they scout neighborhoods, which is excellent.

The listing agents job is to market the home to attract buyers and their buyer agents, then negotiate the best price, and work the transaction smoothly through escrow while keeping events on schedule and keeping the seller out of legal trouble. This is where the listing agents knowledge, experience in the real estate practice, negotiating, dealing with vendors, other agents, title companies, and loan officers, etc., comes in to play, and is one of the the most important phases of the transaction.

It is not the listing agents job
to run out and allow strangers into their clients homes without having screened them and determine if they are qualified for that home. Sellers only want their homes shown to qualified buyers. If they want to expose it to tire kickers and sight see'rs, then they will authorize open houses.

Many buyers will contact listing agents
for any home they want to see, not knowing anything about whether the home is in their price range or has amenities that fit them. They will lie to the listing agents and lead them to believe that they will become their buyer client. And they do this to every listing agent.

Another thing that many fail to consider is that it is extremely dangerous for a Realtor to go and let a stranger into a home without having met and screened them in advance. They may be intent on casing the home to later burglarize, or to distract the agent and steal things while they are there. They may be intent of robbing, raping and killing the agent. This has happened many times, and agents are instructed to take safety precautions. One of the precautions is to never meet strangers at a property.

It is the buyers responsibility to research the neighborhoods to determine if the community is a fit to them. Of course there are a few buyers who think that because they saw a home on the internet, or that they drove a community, that they are entitled to part of the agents commission, and that's because they are not in the real estate industry and really have no clue as to what the buyers agent does for them.

The OP does not seem to be that type of person.

Old 09-13-2012, 12:36 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,088,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odyssey13 View Post
I am just wondering what Realtor's opinions are on buyers like me. Please be honest, I am just trying to get an idea of how difficult it will be for me to find a good fit when I'm ready to buy.
Well, taking you on your word, you are not ready to buy. So, I agree with what someone else said, you are a looker, not a buyer.

And I don't have a problem with that unless you expect me, as a listing agent, to drop everything and run out to show you a home that you're sitting at, calling me from your cell phone.

Instead, I'll ask if you have a buyers agent and if you're pre-approved for a loan or will be paying cash. What your time frame, price range and location criteria is. Then I'll ask a few more questions, and decide not to come show you the house because, in fact, as you stated, you're not ready to buy.

That said, you are in the very reasonable and prudent early stages of house hunting, wanting to do the initial tire kicking on your own, knowing that when the time comes, you probably will want to find a good agent to help you. Some listing agents will be happy to come show you homes, others won't. Don't get mad at the ones who won't. We have our reasons. Maybe one of the ones who does come out and show you her own listing will hit it off and become your furture buyer agent. This is all fine and good.

I do think getting a a good agent at the outset will help you narrow down your criteria faster that doing it on your own. The consultative process can draw out of you comments and needs that may not rise to you're own consciousnesses when looking on your own.

For example, if you told me you LOVE to bake, I might ask "does that rule out small kitchens with electric ranges instead of gas?" And you might say, "well ... actually, yes. I do want a gas range and I also want a kitchen with an island in the middle and one that opens up to the family room so I can stay in the conversation when we have company over". Yet, you've been driving by homes with small kitchens and electric ranges and calling from the signs.

Often, a husband and wife have conflicting sets of "must have" criteria. It's good to have someone help you talk these things through.

I'm a big believer in the value of a good buyer's agent. It's a hard position to defend though, because there are in fact so many lousy agents out there. All I can say is that it's your job to spend more time than the average buyer in interviewing and selecting an agent. If you do a good job doing that, they will do a good job helping you.

Good luck!!

Steve

Old 09-13-2012, 10:09 PM

43 posts, read 152,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREA View Post
Amen to that. We just want to see the place on the inside - that's all. Some agents thinks that act entitles them to a commission when in fact we are doing most of the leg work. If I could go directly to the seller to view a house I would and then if it was something we liked.. then get agents involved.
See, I don't have a problem with the commission (though as a buyer, I am not technically paying it), because even when the buyer is doing most of the legwork, the agent is absorbing quite a bit of the liability involved in the transaction.

Say for example you don't have an agent, you make an offer and it's accepted, and the seller changes their mind or accepts a higher offer after they have already accepted yours. Or the home has been trashed by the time you take possession. You don't have to deal with that, your agent will. Not to mention that an accidental "x" on the contract somewhere can ruin the transaction, so it's good to have someone who knows what they're doing handling that. Even with my short-lived stint as an agent several years ago, I would not feel comfortable doing that part myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Well, taking you on your word, you are not ready to buy. So, I agree with what someone else said, you are a looker, not a buyer.

And I don't have a problem with that unless you expect me, as a listing agent, to drop everything and run out to show you a home that you're sitting at, calling me from your cell phone.

Yes, I fully agree that I am a looker now... I suppose I should have clarified in my original question - I don't expect anyone to show me anything until we are preapproved and ready to buy... but once that time comes, I would just rather focus on what we want to see, as opposed to having an agent try to figure out what we might like and take us to those homes instead. Not that I mind the idea of it, it's just that we can't really pin it down by anything that is searchable... except the safe neighborhood. Plus, once we are ready to buy, we will be virtually homeless (since our existing home will be sold) and we will be wanting to make an offer quickly... I think if we see the ones we wanted to see and don't make an offer within a day or two, we would absolutely be open to suggestions...

Old 09-14-2012, 06:40 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,805,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odyssey13 View Post

I did that once, with a home I had chosen to see after driving by. There was no door on the master bathroom. It wasn't like someone simply took the door off, either - there was no frame for a door. There was this weird wall that kind of looped around - like something you might find in a public place, leading to the sink area of a public restroom. I walked out of that house pretty quick...

But if I remember right, we did consider all the other ones carefully before making an offer on our current home.
Many homes in the Phoenix area don't have a door leading into the master bedroom bath/dressing room/closet area. Of course the toilet has a door.

Old 09-14-2012, 12:08 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,605,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
...Of course the toilet has a door.
And even that depends on the size of the bathroom.

Old 09-14-2012, 01:36 PM

43 posts, read 152,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
Many homes in the Phoenix area don't have a door leading into the master bedroom bath/dressing room/closet area. Of course the toilet has a door.
This was an older style bathroom, no separate areas. And right off the master bedroom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate