Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 10:25 AM

13,410 posts, read 28,757,053 times

Advertisements

We are currently getting the house ready for resale in about 3-4 years.
So far we have replaced the roof, windows, siding , front porch & railings and put in a new furnace.

We will now start to tackle the inside.

I have a Bi Leval house built in 1972..no central AC from a resale perspective is it worth it to have it installed?

We are located in North Jersey...if it was Arizona it would be a no brainer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2007, 10:28 AM

11,834 posts, read 34,467,731 times
do most of the other properties in your area have it? Talk to your agent about what buyers are askng for.

Old 09-26-2007, 10:28 AM

582 posts, read 2,010,464 times
How bad was your recent summer? It was pretty hot in NY from what my family told me and central AC was a must. If you can afford it I would go for it. Some people want it whether they really need it or not, it's just a psychological thing knowing it's there.

Old 09-26-2007, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
do most of the other properties in your area have it? Talk to your agent about what buyers are askng for.
Mixed..the homes in my age bracket don't
The newer homes built in the last 3 years do

Guess I could forgo unless agent thought it crucial and if it meant sale or not offer credit to buyer

Old 09-26-2007, 10:37 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,871,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
We are currently getting the house ready for resale in about 3-4 years.
So far we have replaced the roof, windows, siding , front porch & railings and put in a new furnace.

We will now start to tackle the inside.

I have a Bi Leval house built in 1972..no central AC from a resale perspective is it worth it to have it installed?

We are located in North Jersey...if it was Arizona it would be a no brainer
3-4 years, or 3-4 months? A/C is a must here in Southern Michigan for most people from mid May - September, so New Jersey I would imagine is much the same, if not hotter on average.

Can you find a new car without A/C? Probably not, yet people spend a lot more time in their homes than their cars. I'd do it. My wife cannot sleep without air in the summer.

Old 09-26-2007, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
3-4 years, or 3-4 months? A/C is a must here in Southern Michigan for most people from mid May - September, so New Jersey I would imagine is much the same, if not hotter on average.

Can you find a new car without A/C? Probably not, yet people spend a lot more time in their homes than their cars. I'd do it. My wife cannot sleep without air in the summer.
I'm with you on that for sure!!!
We use room air conditioners..ugh...the kicker the hubbie does HVAC for a living...go figure...he likes heat guess that's why

Old 09-26-2007, 10:45 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,406,597 times
Well, if hubby does the work at cost, it's probably a good idea- if you have to pay someone to do it, you're not as likely to get your $$ back. If the house was a single story it'd be easy and cheap to do- maybe $5-6k. In a bi-level, you're either going to need 2 zones or you're going to be cutting chases through the house to get ductwork up and down- probably $10-12k in either of those cases, and that's not going to come back in your sale.

Just sell the house in the winter, and the lack of central AC won't be so obvious....lol.

Bob

Old 09-26-2007, 11:16 AM

1,408 posts, read 8,026,931 times
if your hubby does it for a living then i say go ahead with it especially if it will help set you apart from other homes on the market. personally, i don't have it in my home (live in MA). when i think about the actual number of really hot days it's not worth it to me. all winter people complain about it being too cold and then summer comes along and we get one really hot day and slam all the windows are closed and the ac turned on. just crazy to me but again i live in MA.

Old 09-26-2007, 11:23 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,871,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfingatwork View Post
if your hubby does it for a living then i say go ahead with it especially if it will help set you apart from other homes on the market. personally, i don't have it in my home (live in MA). when i think about the actual number of really hot days it's not worth it to me. all winter people complain about it being too cold and then summer comes along and we get one really hot day and slam all the windows are closed and the ac turned on. just crazy to me but again i live in MA.
I used to be a "windows open all day and night" type of person, but my wife has spoiled me.

Definitely if your husband can do it at cost, I'd do it. Bob's pricing seemed a bit high. I know people in our neighborhood that have had it installed in existing homes for about $3000 - $3500 (for about 2000 sf), no zones. Might be different in different regions of the country. I wouldn't drop $10 - 12,000 on it. Everyone here runs it through existing heat ducts, which cuts down on cost. The condenser is the biggest expense.

Old 09-26-2007, 11:33 AM

1,408 posts, read 8,026,931 times
my office just received the realtor magazine and in it there's a survey re: buyer's want and central a/c is no. 1

interesting article it also reads that 23% of buyers want granite (HA! i think that's way to low, more like 90% want it in every home including mobiles regardless of price)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate