Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 04:16 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,873,651 times

Advertisements

I have known 3 sets of people who had the mobile home park close and they were told to move out. Two of them had older homes that could not be moved due to safety issues. They lost everything. Safer to buy a lot and put a mobile home on it if that is the only choice.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 05:13 PM

3,609 posts, read 7,933,976 times
Mobile homes almost always depreciate, while houses generally appreciate. (Not lately, but I mean on average).

A house that needs visible work can pretty much be expected to need invisible work. You need to have a cash buffer, expecially with an older house. If you can only barely afford a house it's probably best NOT to buy.

Old 05-11-2011, 05:34 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,295,598 times
Why not do a USDA 100% loan? I mean, would that not work on a cheaper property?

Old 05-11-2011, 07:13 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,784,676 times
Tell us what market you are in. I am sitting in a 18,500 house in a very good location in Phoenix. It will rent for 600 per month. Don't let people tell you a 45K house will need work and is not doable. It all depends on the market. Avoid mobiles and manufactured like a disease. Loans are tough right now. What's your credit score? People are saying in Phoenix, buying is half the monthly price of renting.

Old 05-12-2011, 06:54 AM

1,015 posts, read 2,425,893 times
Thank you every one for you honest opinions and thoughts. I know I'm not in a position to buy just yet but I have been put between a rock and a hard place.

If I could go about buying the "right" way I would. Like getting my first apartment, saving money, and eventually buying, but unfortunately things don't always go according to plan. That is why I wanted other options and opinions to help with my decision.

I'm still going to look at the house, just to see how bad it is. Even if it is bad maybe the realtor can direct me to some other resources as well.

Also I had no idea about the mobile homes, they seemed like a good route but the more I looked into the park the more I wasn't too keen on them.

However what about modular homes? Are they any better? I saw one on bidselect for about the same price but "made" in 2002.

Khuntevor, I live in the Hampton Roads area, most places for rent start between 700 and up, these are just private LL. Anything in a complex starts at about 850 and up, with pet restrictions. My market right now is to buy a starter home for about 50k out in a rural area, yet still able to commute to my job in the city.

Last edited by WildnFree; 05-12-2011 at 07:07 AM..

Old 05-12-2011, 09:50 AM

1,015 posts, read 2,425,893 times
Well I just checked in on both homes, they sold. So it was not meant to be....Hopefully something will come along for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate