Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 08:36 AM

12 posts, read 23,016 times

Advertisements

I'm getting married in October and the fiance and I have been doing a lot of house shopping. Our realtor is a really close friend of mine, so we just go out looking all over and it has been a lot of fun.

We have found a few houses we really like, but one in particular that we are really considering putting in an offer next week. This is where I am looking for any advice possible. The house was originally listed at $580k, and after it was on the market for 32 days, it dropped to to $558k. There isnt a lot of turnover, so there really arent any comps to compare it too. There was one house that sold in January of 08 for $475K and it was a little smaller house on a liitle less land.

An appraiser friend said that his best guess without actually getting inside would be that it would appraise for about $535k.

We are going back and forth on what our first offer should be. Some houses in the local area (not that specific area) have been dropping a lot because they have been on the market so long....so do we wait?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreaciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 09:01 AM

15,574 posts, read 40,417,480 times
Since you don't say where the house is located, no one can really give you great advice here.

If your close friend is a really good agent, they can give you the best advice.

Old 05-23-2008, 09:04 AM

I specifically left out the area, just because I didn't want the seller of the house to read this and know I am talking about their house

It is in the MD (Bethesda/Rockville/Kensington) area

Old 05-23-2008, 10:41 AM

649 posts, read 3,443,838 times
How long has it been on the market since the price drop?

How long was the $475K house on the market before it sold?

Last edited by Sweetbeet; 05-23-2008 at 10:42 AM.. Reason: more questions

Old 05-23-2008, 11:06 AM

It's been on the market now 36 days...it dropped after 32 days. Im not sure about the 475K one.

Old 05-23-2008, 11:38 AM

649 posts, read 3,443,838 times
I'm not an expert. I'm not a realtor. I've purchased two homes in my life and sold one (FSBO).

But from what you've told me, I would be thinking about offering around $500-$510. At about 10% off of the current list price, I don't think that's at all 'lowball' in today's market. It's a bit more than the smaller home went for (do you know if that one was 'comparable' in other respects - quality of finish, age, state of repair, lot placement/configuration, etc.?), and a bit less than your friend thinks it's worth (I'm assuming you've told him/her about the details of the inside, so the appraisal is probably not TOO far off).

If they don't take it or counter, you can always offer higher if you want.

JUST my humble opinion.

What does your friend/agent think?

Old 05-23-2008, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbeet View Post
I'm not an expert. I'm not a realtor. I've purchased two homes in my life and sold one (FSBO).

But from what you've told me, I would be thinking about offering around $500-$510. At about 10% off of the current list price, I don't think that's at all 'lowball' in today's market. It's a bit more than the smaller home went for (do you know if that one was 'comparable' in other respects - quality of finish, age, state of repair, lot placement/configuration, etc.?), and a bit less than your friend thinks it's worth (I'm assuming you've told him/her about the details of the inside, so the appraisal is probably not TOO far off).

If they don't take it or counter, you can always offer higher if you want.

JUST my humble opinion.

What does your friend/agent think?
Thanks for your advice, thats all im looking for is different opinions.

I've shown the appraiser pics of the inside and stuff, so he has an idea of it. I was thinking about an offer of 505/510 too, but my fiances father thinks we should put in something lower. He buys and sales commercial real estate, and thinks we should start lower.

That's basically where im at right now, we dont "need" to put in the offer right now, but we do like the house. Watching the houses and market, it seems like everyday the houses just keep dropping.

Last edited by DonkMcd; 05-23-2008 at 12:26 PM..

Old 05-23-2008, 02:22 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,976,886 times
Nobody on this board is qualified to give you offer price on a home we've never seen. Your agent should be helping you with this by running a CMA on recent closed comps (even if they are limited he should still be able to guide you if he's any good). Your offer price should be based on recent sales. Listing price has nothing to do with offer price or value.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:44 PM

Just did all the paperwork and my agent will be submitting the offer in the morning...

Old 05-29-2008, 06:14 AM

2,249 posts, read 8,895,663 times
The best to you with it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate