Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 01:02 PM

6 posts, read 45,036 times

Advertisements

I have seen this done on TV shows and so on, where they video record people all the go through the house to see what people are saying about there home.

I am don't want to do video but its it illegal to voice record with a small tape recorder just to see what people are saying about the house and what the like and dislike? so then if everyone says the same thing we can make changes to the house to make it show better.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2007, 01:28 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,571,328 times
No, no, no. I would not do this if I were you. Coould open a nasty can of worms that you and others might not like. Instead, if you are selling your home on your own, I would leave a message board or pad somewhere such as on a table and request comments from potential buyers. Inform them that names are not required. If your home is listed with a Realtor or real estate agent, request from them input from potential buyers. Might also ask your agent for input from the other agents that 'tour' your property. We do this in my area and it is quite useful. Good luck.

Old 06-26-2007, 01:54 PM

1,408 posts, read 8,020,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbia34 View Post
I have seen this done on TV shows and so on, where they video record people all the go through the house to see what people are saying about there home.

I am don't want to do video but its it illegal to voice record with a small tape recorder just to see what people are saying about the house and what the like and dislike? so then if everyone says the same thing we can make changes to the house to make it show better.

Thanks.
It's an invasion of privacy and if it were found out you could be in serious trouble. the show that does that "stages" the people that walk through the house. i know this because one of the realtors i used to work with (I worked in a real estate office) had one of her listings on the show and the "people" who walked through the house giving their opinion where other realtors in the office and a few friends of the realtor. these people also had to sign waivers.

Old 06-26-2007, 11:37 PM

279 posts, read 1,859,031 times
Years ago when we were selling our first house, someone came through and THEY were recording my house. I did not like it at all. They said all the houses started to run together after awhile. I'm sure that was true, but my kids were so little and we were all home, I didn't want my family videoed. But their agent just let it go on.

Old 06-27-2007, 05:54 AM

1,681 posts, read 6,028,177 times
Before real estate I was in the televison and film industry. I owned a production company for 17 years. Do not make any video and/or audio recording of anyone without their written permission to do so.

Old 06-27-2007, 07:45 AM

1,833 posts, read 6,425,324 times
The very gray area in the law is .. it's your house and if it's your house in most states it's legal to video or record as part of "surveillance" or "security"

Check your local laws.

Old 06-27-2007, 09:33 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,190,159 times
Actually there is nothing grey about it. It is simply a matter of state law.

In Nevada it is perfectly legal within your home or property. And it goes on virtually everywhere. You need permission of a single member of a group to record a conversaton in person. You need permission of all involved in a telephone call to record it.

I cutoff my clients on any sensitive comments within a home...I presume the other side is listening even if they are not.

Bill H is of course right in a commercial sense...if you have any interest in publishing the information you best have permission.

Old 06-27-2007, 05:04 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,086,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods Voyager View Post
I would leave a message board or pad somewhere such as on a table and request comments from potential buyers. Inform them that names are not required.
I think this is a great idea.

Old 06-28-2007, 07:06 AM

2,124 posts, read 8,840,120 times
Wouldn't this be like a nanny-cam? You know, where working parents set up a camera to find out what it going on in their own home when they aren't there.

I would think you have the right to video in your home, but would check the legality with an attorney.

but are you sure you would want to? When people think no one is there, they are very candid and you may hear some things that can be very hurtful. And it is hard to seperate that out from constructive critiscm. I would be too emotionally involved in my home and I am a professional and have heard it all!!

Also, you may be opening a can of worms that is hard to close. As a professional, I encourage my clients to tell me their honest opinions on a home. It helps me to be able to overcome objections.

For instance, oh I love this neighborhood and I like this floorplan, but what were the owners thinking painting this room eggplant purple with lime green stripes? and what is that ugly cloth thing hanging over the couch?

My answer: well I'm glad you like the floorplan and this is a really sought after neighborhood with a nice backyard. As for the painting... luckily it only costs about $25 for a can of paint so you can change that. As for the macrame wall hanging... don't worry they are taking that with them.

If you video tape, you hear: blah, blah, blah, Ugly painting on the walls blah blah, mom's macrame project that she worked on with her arthritic hands for 2 years before she died is being called ugly and nasty. I hate these people and will never sell to them!!!

Shelly

Old 06-28-2007, 08:13 AM

1,408 posts, read 8,020,201 times
Shelly you bring up some very good points especially the macrame project. Also would you say in your professional opinion it "violates confidentiality" between buyer agent and buyer.

Granted I know there really isn't a law for this like attorney/client privledge but as a buyer if I'm at a property and am extremely interested in it and rave about it while there with my buyer agent and really talk about how great it is, etc. I decide this is my dream house BUT because I want to get the best price I put in an offer lower than asking. unbeknowst to me the seller has me on video RAVING about the property and KNOWS I can come up much higher BUT i'm unaware the seller has video in the house. Also during the showing, I casually mention to my buyer agent that I would pay asking because I love the house so much but only say this because I know my buyer agent is working for ME.

Video taping showings without informing buyers gives the seller an unfair advantage over negotiations. Has it come to the point where a buyer and buyer agent can no longer freely talk inside a house about what they want to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate