Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 09:18 AM

10,966 posts, read 21,974,961 times

Advertisements

Funny thing about it Rakin, I would too. If I ever left ERA it would either be for RM or KW. I of course have no intentions of doing so but if I did those are good alternatives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 01:57 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,309,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Tom... for the record, if I ever left our company I would probably go with the local RM. They (Mark Wolfe) are very good in this area and have some great agents. Hope you didn't think I was knocking RM, just trying to give him a subject that was recently discussed.
Rakin,

I appreciate your note. Thank you, but I feel still feel very misunderstood. If I were to leave my firm, move to another city, and look to join a new firm, I would be crazy not to look at all the options including non-RE/MAX branded offices, but I would assure you that until I had ruled out all the RE/MAX offices, I wouldn't look elsewhere, why? Because the RE/MAX franchise model is just that far ahead of the rest. There are locations nationwide where RE/MAX is represented by terribly weak brokers, I understand and recognize this very clearly, so I can't speak as an absolute RE/MAX guy.

When one looks at everything RE/MAX (the brand) offers over and above the best of the other brands, it's a very clear choice as far as brands. Unfortunately not every RE/MAX office is the best choice.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:38 AM

5 posts, read 17,221 times
I`m a new agent performing my due diligence on selecting the best broker with the lowest overhead being paramount...especially as a startup business enitity...& want to thank those whom have contributed here...you`ve all been very helpful.

I interviewed at a local CB here in north jersey and liked what i`d heard...50/50, $1200 yr desk fees, along with the expected $1000 in the door expenses ...success builder program,MLS,cards etc....then i stumbled upon something called :LEGAL ASSISTANCE PROGRAM SCHEDULE....ammortized for the year to the tune of $4700...year over year!

Is this a new CB fleecing technique ? I understand E&O fees but believe these monthly car payments are in addition to the standard E&O.this left a bad taste in my mouth and would appreciate any input / thoughts from the veterans here as i have never heard of this policy.

thanks,steve[LEFT]

[/LEFT]

Old 01-14-2013, 10:51 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,801,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
Rakin,

I appreciate your note. Thank you, but I feel still feel very misunderstood. If I were to leave my firm, move to another city, and look to join a new firm, I would be crazy not to look at all the options including non-RE/MAX branded offices, but I would assure you that until I had ruled out all the RE/MAX offices, I wouldn't look elsewhere, why? Because the RE/MAX franchise model is just that far ahead of the rest. There are locations nationwide where RE/MAX is represented by terribly weak brokers, I understand and recognize this very clearly, so I can't speak as an absolute RE/MAX guy.

When one looks at everything RE/MAX (the brand) offers over and above the best of the other brands, it's a very clear choice as far as brands. Unfortunately not every RE/MAX office is the best choice.
Interesting, because I did completely switch markets about 4 years ago from Dallas to Austin and did not start with looking at RE/MAX. I was already at RE/MAX and knew what they had to offer for the big picture. Instead, I visited with local branches to see if I thought they could even compete with RE/MAX. When I was done, I then started talking with the different RE/MAX offices to make my decision. Came across a couple of doozies, but still found a top producing office with a carrying broker.

In the end, I had to look at my business and where my new business would come from being in a completely new market, 3 hours away, not knowing anyone. When I realized I would depend on relocation leads and internet leads since I couldn't depend on a sphere and neighbors, RE/MAX has the largest National presence, and that's why I stayed with RE/MAX. Best decision...

Old 01-14-2013, 04:13 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,162,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebemo View Post
Is this a new CB fleecing technique ? I understand E&O fees but believe these monthly car payments are in addition to the standard E&O.this left a bad taste in my mouth and would appreciate any input / thoughts from the veterans here as i have never heard of this policy.
Steve.. I'm not sure there are any CB agents that hang around here that can answer. Out of all the people to join, CB ranks lower on my scale on where I would look or consider. I'm sure that some are good / bad. I believe they are a whole lot more Corporate than what we Mavericks tend to go for in a broker.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:14 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,303,611 times
Quote:
I`m a new agent performing my due diligence on selecting the best broker with the lowest overhead being paramount...especially as a startup business enitity...& want to thank those whom have contributed here...you`ve all been very helpful.

I interviewed at a local CB here in north jersey and liked what i`d heard...50/50, $1200 yr desk fees, along with the expected $1000 in the door expenses ...success builder program,MLS,cards etc....then i stumbled upon something called :LEGAL ASSISTANCE PROGRAM SCHEDULE....ammortized for the year to the tune of $4700...year over year!

thanks,steve[LEFT]

[/LEFT]
50/50 AND desk fees AND upfront costs? If I charged my agents ANYTHING, the split would go up. I've asked them over the years if they would like to go to a higher split with them providing the overhead in ANY combination, they've always said no thank you.

Maybe I just have a set of underachievers ( ) or maybe it's the rural environment which is our service area, but I can't imagine charging a newbie anything if I'm going to extract a 50/50 split.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:26 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,162,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
50/50 AND desk fees AND upfront costs? If I charged my agents ANYTHING, the split would go up. I've asked them over the years if they would like to go to a higher split with them providing the overhead in ANY combination, they've always said no thank you.

Maybe I just have a set of underachievers ( ) or maybe it's the rural environment which is our service area, but I can't imagine charging a newbie anything if I'm going to extract a 50/50 split.
No, I think you nailed it. I can see 50/50 split for a beginner but not paying desk fees and upfront charges on top of that.

That's hitting agents pretty hard.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:28 AM

10,966 posts, read 21,974,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
No, I think you nailed it. I can see 50/50 split for a beginner but not paying desk fees and upfront charges on top of that.

That's hitting agents pretty hard.
I'd negotiate to get the desk fee waived or either a higher split.

Old 01-15-2013, 02:25 PM

5 posts, read 17,221 times
Appreciate all of you taking the time to respond....evidently,there has been some clarification on that Legal assist program but the "step-in" costs do add up quickly & ar as follows:

625...flat..legal assist program...in house council
616...NRT dues
195...training program
176...mls
160....state treasurer
-----
1772.....thoughts?.......standard,assuming NJ has always been pay to play?

Old 01-15-2013, 06:27 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,050,807 times
Quote:
Appreciate all of you taking the time to respond....evidently,there has been some clarification on that Legal assist program but the "step-in" costs do add up quickly & ar as follows:

625...flat..legal assist program...in house council
616...NRT dues
195...training program
176...mls
160....state treasurer
-----
1772.....thoughts?.......standard,assuming NJ has always been pay to play?
I think you're focusing on the wrong thing. This is all chump change. Literally pennies to a successful, producing agent. You're setting yourself up to fail by thinking this small at the outset, in my opinion.

Focus on how you can grow your business such that you become more valuable to your Broker than your Broker is to you. Then you can set your terms and conditions as you see fit. If you fail, as most Newbie Realtors do, it won't be because the Broker you chose charged you a smidgen more than some other Broker would have. It will be because you suck as a Realtor.

Sorry, I'm just dishing it straight to you. Your time would be better used getting your list of people together, calculating how much in GCI you need to earn year one to net your desired income, how many houses you'll need to sell to get there, and how many listing and buyer appointments you'll need to in order to sell that many houses, and how many "touches" to your sphere you'll need to make to get that many appointments.

Think bigger.

Steve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals