Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 07:50 PM

1,490 posts, read 5,984,198 times

Advertisements

Need some advice folks. Our office got the news today that we will be moving to a new location (this has been planned) and when we move we will switch from a REMAX franchise to a Coldwell Banker franchise, actually merging with the number one company in town in our own separate location. Our brokerage was number eight in town. It was a complete surprise to most of us. We all have until friday afternoon to decide if we want to go.

I would like some feedback on the culture of Coldwell Banker from past or present agents.

My wife and I are a team and are on a 95/5 split with REMAX. It appears we may save some money on office fees but the CB commission scale is rather confusing.

Last edited by faabala; 03-19-2009 at 08:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 07:52 PM

43,269 posts, read 77,073,002 times
If you have to re-brand yourselves, it may well be time to check out various alternatives.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:23 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,717,658 times
CB, like Re/Max licenses franchises.

As you know, the Re/Max culture varies, franchise to franchise, depending on the owners and agents, within. It's the same deal for CB.

NRT owns and operates company-owned franchises under brand names of Coldwell Banker, ERA, C21, Sotheby's, Corcoran, Citi Habitats and The Condo Store.

Other CB franchises are locally-owned and independent of the NRT umbrella.

There is no such thing as a standard split across CB. My gut tells me that 95/5 is not going to happen unless you are doing tremendous volume and or numbers.

CB is eating Re/Max franchises left and right, in my area.

I agree with Mike that given the rebranding, why not look around and see what else is out there and then decide on the best fit, for you.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:51 PM

This CB is independent and is number one in our market. Heavily into high quality new construction. In fact we are currently building our personal house with them.

I'm still new at this game only starting last May. My wife is on her fourth year. We have only been with REMAX.

Based on last year's sales volume we would be offered an 80/20 on in-house deals and 60/40 on outside deals with hardly any office fees. Our monthly REMAX office fees are substantial.

One thing troubles me. Penalizing the sale of homes outside of the company's listings seems that it could be in conflict with serving the best needs of my clients.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faabala View Post
This CB is independent and is number one in our market. Heavily into high quality new construction. In fact we are currently building our personal house with them.

I'm still new at this game only starting last May. My wife is on her fourth year. We have only been with REMAX.

Based on last year's sales volume we would be offered an 80/20 on in-house deals and 60/40 on outside deals with hardly any office fees. Our monthly REMAX office fees are substantial.

One thing troubles me. Penalizing the sale of homes outside of the company's listings seems that it could be in conflict with serving the best needs of my clients.
it is really hard to discuss splits and other broker policies outside your own firm.

Old 03-19-2009, 11:54 PM

2,203 posts, read 9,320,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faabala View Post

For sure! I know many companies do some sort of incentive bonus to the agent for selling in-house listings, just as a way of prompting agents to make sure they don't overlook an in-house listing that should be shown. But doing the opposite - actually cutting commission splits on co-broke sales - certainly seems unethical to me. I'm surprised that it's legal, but obviously it is or they wouldn't be doing it.

You know, what goes around comes around. Some of these types of sales tactics end up biting. The company might be #1 in your area now, but just wait. We had a few individual agents in my area that were successful during the hot market years, but they were less than totally ethical. When the tide turned and the market slowed way down, they really started hurting. Their reputation preceded them, and now some of the top-notch professional brokerages won't consider hiring them. Plus their business is w-a-a-y down.

Meanwhile the "good guys" brokerages are doing just fine during this downturn . . . and are the ones the really good agents are going with. While the less than professional brokerages are shutting down.

I totally agree with Mike that now's the time to really check out who you want to be associated with.

Old 03-20-2009, 09:22 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,717,658 times
I think that splits favoring in house deals were the norm in my area , but I believe they are no longer legal in my state.

There is no financial incentive to sell in- house versus another brokerage, which levels the playing field and avoids potential conflicts of interest.

Old 03-20-2009, 12:33 PM

Commissions are paid to the broker/firm, and then the agents are compensated.

That is enough that, in North Carolina, paying a selling agent more for moving an in-house listing is accepted legally.
That "additional compensation" to the buyer's agent does not have to be disclosed to the buyer.

Old 03-20-2009, 03:03 PM

2,203 posts, read 9,320,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Commissions are paid to the broker/firm, and then the agents are compensated.

That is enough that, in North Carolina, paying a selling agent more for moving an in-house listing is accepted legally.
That "additional compensation" to the buyer's agent does not have to be disclosed to the buyer.
Just curious - what about paying less on co-broke listings? Does that have to be disclosed by a buyer's agent? Do most states consider that legal? It would seem like it would be something a buyer would need to know since it could affect the service he receives from his agent.

In a buyer broker agreement where the agent is instructed to show listings offered by other companies, if the co-broke offered by the other company was less than the broker's/agent's contracted amount with the buyer, then the contract might state that the buyer might be required to make up the difference, and it would be the buyer's decision whether or not he wanted to do that. However, in the situation described by the OP, the buyer cannot make up the difference (since the contracted commission amount is paid to the brokerage who receives the full co-broke amount, but then elects to pay the commission to the agent at a lower split).

I can see where this could be an issue for a buyer and a buyer's agent. I'm surprised that anti-trust regulations would not come into play here. I'm not trying to beat a dead horse here - I'm just a little surprised that there isn't some sort of regulation or disclosure requirement regarding the practice.

Old 03-20-2009, 05:37 PM

Gee, this has got a bit off track. I still have not heard from anybody who works or has worked for a CB franchise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals