Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 08:24 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,463,330 times

Advertisements

I've done it both ways, with an agent and without an agent. When we did it without an agent, everything went (relatively) fine, but now that I know more about what CAN go wrong, I count my blessings that we lucked out and it went okay.

I still say get your own attorney to look over the contract, at the very least. After all, it was written by your friend's attorney, whose responsibility is to write it for their benefit, not yours.

Pretend this isn't your friend, and a business deal, and chances are better that he will still be your friend when all is said and done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 08:41 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,833,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by telesis37 View Post

Here's my situation. I'm buying my friend's house. I love the house, I'm getting it for a steal, and I am paying cash for it. They got a real estate attorney to write up the contract.
I do not know anything about your local market. Market values are however, declining in many areas, right now. Professional relocation companies, that acquire serious thousands of properties on behalf of corporate sponsors, are increasingly requiring 3 independent appraisals and average the results to determine fair value, at a point in time. And even then, property tends to sell for less than the average appraised value.

When and who determined the market value of the property you want to buy? What objective criteria are you using to determine you got a steal of a deal?

Under the circumstances, your contract should minimally be subject to attorney review/approval and an appraisal. If the property appraises for less than your purchase price or some other fixed amount, you need the ability to cancel the contract....not be locked into paying more than it is currently worth, unless you choose to do so.

Your friend, the seller, hired an attorney to look out for his/her best interest. Who is looking out for you?

Old 11-20-2008, 09:07 AM

1,024 posts, read 4,144,252 times
Telesis,

I would advise you to get title insurance and to have your own attorney review the contract.

Sandy

Old 11-20-2008, 12:42 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,843,058 times
Are you sure you're not just buying land with a mobile home as personal property? Have you looked into that? If there's a VIN, it's a vehicle and not a house. Are you sure proper documentation was done for the permanant structures that were added on to this vehicle? Do you have proof of these permits to make it "real property" to be sold as a house?

Old 11-20-2008, 04:27 PM

5,438 posts, read 5,955,253 times
1. What about a seller's property disclosure statement?
2. Any environmental issues? Lead based paint?
3. Is the property in a floodplain? (Since there is no lender, this probably will not be checked out; contact FEMA)
4. Who is paying the settlement fees?
5. Who will review the settlement statement to ensure its accuracy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals