Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 03:45 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,437,114 times

Advertisements

I'd like your opinions on these new reality shows regarding home purchasing.
You know the ones depicting caring and informed RA's helping 'Virgin home buyers' find just the right place. Do you think they are a true depiction of the real world as you know it or not? I'm very curious.
K
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 04:24 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,634,554 times
There have been other discussions about these shows. Try searching by show name or "HGTV". Generally they are a bit contrived and usually staged to create the effect wanted by the producers.

Old 11-20-2010, 03:38 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,124,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrcm View Post
There have been other discussions about these shows. Try searching by show name or "HGTV". Generally they are a bit contrived and usually staged to create the effect wanted by the producers.
Agreed, though I haven't seen many of these. But I know a home flipper and a Realtor who have been featured in the past.

The home flipper was frustrated that the show doesn't present ALL the true numbers and thus paints a picture that makes (made) flipping seem more profitable that it really si/was.

The Realtor said that the show wanted Realtor/buyer already under contract, then the looking at houses was for show and the final pick was the house already under contract, but it was made to look like it all happened "live".

Steve

Old 11-20-2010, 04:03 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,355,216 times
I know when "Buy Me" came to Raleigh, 2 of the agents in my office volunteered for the show. The "Open House" took place in the middle of the week and the agent invited family and friends to be the "buyers" looking at the open house.

I know someone who does the editing for a reality show and according to him, they film lots of the show and then they edit it to "tell a story". He said that sometimes if the "story" isn't very interesting, they'll go back and do more taping but will actually tell the people what they want them to do.

Vicki

Old 11-23-2010, 10:39 PM

16 posts, read 39,127 times
They are made for television. Made to lure you to the advertisers products. These shows have very little to do with reality, only ratings and revenue.

Old 11-24-2010, 09:22 AM

11,031 posts, read 22,125,411 times
There are lots of agents out there like you described, however the shows aren't realistic at all.

Old 11-24-2010, 09:39 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,864,647 times
These HGTV shows and the network itself are nothing but entertainment at best. The sad part is there are many people that watch the network 24/7 like it's the mecca for everything housing.

Old 11-24-2010, 09:45 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,806,057 times
If the OP is asking if there truly are real estate agents that really do work hard to get first time buyers a house that they can afford and meets their needs I can empathatically say YES THERE ARE!

While the payoff from a monetary standpoint of spending longer periods of time "hand holding" indecisive buyers and explaining the requirements of lenders and such does make financial sense, just about EVERY real estate agent I know gets a BIG emotional uplift helping people transition from "renter" to owner. Further,the word of mouth that comes from positive first time buyer epericiences tends to be good for move up buyers and even parents / friends that need to sell more expensive homes.

Some first time buyers are quite savvy and review a large number of homes on line, which can mean just a few "in person" visits to narrow their choice, while some folks still have a too unfocused approach. Towns dozens of miles apart, with price ranges far apart and other divergent features are almost setting one's self up for 'buyers remorse' -- far better to say "I know what I want/need and am clear on what trade-offs I am willing to make", if that means you do not drive out to the fringe development to see shiny new houses OR it means you stick with only new construction the net result is you do not lament your long commute or your 'old fashioned' new house...

Old 11-29-2010, 01:47 PM

896 posts, read 1,483,112 times
One way to appear more intelligent is to find people slightly dumber than you.

....so you see, paint can be changed. Location cannot. <new buyers nod head with new found knowledge>

Last edited by HonestOne1; 11-29-2010 at 03:15 PM..

Old 11-29-2010, 09:36 PM

11,031 posts, read 22,125,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HonestOne1 View Post
One way to appear more intelligent is to find people slightly dumber than you.

....so you see, paint can be changed. Location cannot. <new buyers nod head with new found knowledge>
I know you're sort of joking, but some people really don't think about that sort of thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals