Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2018, 04:06 PM

3,143 posts, read 2,659,134 times

Advertisements

Hi guys. I never sold a house before so I am unfamiliar with the process. I have a situation that I am thinking over:

situation 1: I already hired a real estate agent to sell my home but the house isn't even listed yet. It's still very early in the game. She is charging 5 percent and she works for a big-time real estate agent. I chose her because she sold a house, exactly like mine, which is located down the street, for a few thousand above asking. I spoke to the home owners and they spoke highly of her.

situation 2: My good acquaintance counter offered a rate of 4 percent. He works for a smaller real estate company. While his track record is rather impressive, I don't know if he's as familiar with the area as the other real estate agent.

I am leaning towards keeping my current agent but am I crazy for sticking with a person who charges a higher rate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2018, 04:45 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,212,465 times
what kept you from going straight to the good acquaintance in the first place?

and can you better describe his rather impressive track record?

Old 04-07-2018, 05:55 PM

14,483 posts, read 12,107,650 times
I would go with the one you like and trust to help you work through whatever issues come up between now and closing. Maybe the difference in price is less important than the quality of the agent.

Old 04-07-2018, 06:28 PM

2,181 posts, read 1,628,376 times
First read what you have signed before doing anything.

Old 04-07-2018, 06:55 PM

14,483 posts, read 12,107,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I love boots. View Post
First read what you have signed before doing anything.

Old 04-07-2018, 07:06 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,983,290 times
If you already signed a listing agreement your acquaintance is being unethical encouraging you to break your existing contract. This is a clear violation of the Realtor Code of Ethics and possibly/probably your state REC laws and guidelines also so I'm leery of that right off the bat.

Other than that, Boots is right. What did you sign? If you still want out you'll need to discuss with your current agent.

Old 04-07-2018, 09:23 PM

96 posts, read 105,410 times
I second Brandon’s post. It’s unethical of that agent if you already have a signed listing agreement. I will also say that you get what you pay for. If your original agent is solid, she’ll probably be able to justify that 1% difference and net you more $ at closing.

Old 04-08-2018, 05:29 AM

1,528 posts, read 1,588,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
If you already signed a listing agreement your acquaintance is being unethical encouraging you to break your existing contract. This is a clear violation of the Realtor Code of Ethics and possibly/probably your state REC laws and guidelines also so I'm leery of that right off the bat.

Other than that, Boots is right. What did you sign? If you still want out you'll need to discuss with your current agent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHdanIO View Post
I second Brandon’s post. It’s unethical of that agent if you already have a signed listing agreement. I will also say that you get what you pay for. If your original agent is solid, she’ll probably be able to justify that 1% difference and net you more $ at closing.
It's also against the Realtor CoE for a Realtor (e.g. YOU) to recklessly conclude that other agents would be unethical without knowing all of the facts. Even if it was signed, the OP didn't say that the other agent knew what was signed.

The OP also did not say that the counter offer was done after something was signed or after the second agent knew something was signed.

It's very serious for a realtor to be throwing around ethics charges against other agents so I urge you to not do this lightly and in this case you may be very wrong and even if something was signed it might not be a violation of anything, depending on what the OP told the other agent.

How would you like it if another agent on the internet recklessly concluded or suggested you'd be behaving unethically when the facts aren't even clear over who said what and when?

Your potential ethics violation with that conclusion is far more clear than with the OP and this agent.

Don't hate me because I'm correct.

Last edited by just_because; 04-08-2018 at 05:43 AM..

Old 04-08-2018, 05:32 AM

43,284 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
Hi guys. I never sold a house before so I am unfamiliar with the process. I have a situation that I am thinking over:

situation 1: I already hired a real estate agent to sell my home but the house isn't even listed yet. It's still very early in the game. She is charging 5 percent and she works for a big-time real estate agent. I chose her because she sold a house, exactly like mine, which is located down the street, for a few thousand above asking. I spoke to the home owners and they spoke highly of her.

situation 2: My good acquaintance counter offered a rate of 4 percent. He works for a smaller real estate company. While his track record is rather impressive, I don't know if he's as familiar with the area as the other real estate agent.

I am leaning towards keeping my current agent but am I crazy for sticking with a person who charges a higher rate?
When you say you "hired," is it safe to assume you have signed a listing agreement with that agent?

Old 04-08-2018, 05:57 AM

1,528 posts, read 1,588,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
When you say you "hired," is it safe to assume you have signed a listing agreement with that agent?
While you're at it shouldn't you also ask if it is exclusive which is, of course, another problem assumption with Brandon's conclusion that this second agent would be unethical if something was signed.

Really this stuff isn't rocket science. It's not that hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals