Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 08:33 PM

965 posts, read 4,504,788 times

Advertisements

Have any of you or your colleagues had celebrities as clients, either well known nationally or internationally? Names don't need to be mentioned, but maybe you could tell what line of work they were in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 08:46 PM

2,639 posts, read 7,443,222 times
Before I was in the business several years ago, a very famous TV personality listed their property with our company.

Old 02-08-2008, 11:43 AM

1,641 posts, read 5,028,909 times
I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you...

Old 02-08-2008, 12:15 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,308,469 times
There is a residential listing on the market here on the island that was previously owned by Loretta Lynn...it was one owner ago....but it's still a fun claim to make.

This kind of thing happens occasionally here...the Big Island had attracted it's share of celebrity-types. I've met Barbara Hershey when she was here on what was said to be a property search. And we heard through the "coconut wireless" that Ted Turner was in the market for a home here as well as Priscilla Presley. (Randy Travis owned a property in his name before it became common to put things into a trust to avoid public records. Dr Earl Bakken, who invented the pacemaker, is (still?) a Big Island resident....and the list could go on...)

I haven't personally worked with a "star", but this is a place were it does happen!

Old 02-08-2008, 12:21 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,869,869 times
My grandfather, while a broker in the Hampton's in the late '50's early '60's, had Gary Cooper and Zza-Zza Gabor as clients.

Old 02-08-2008, 10:17 PM

I used to subscribe to the magazine Unique Homes, which featured homes from all over the U.S. and world. (Boy, that mag was expensive , but the homes/estates were to die for.) I've held on to these magazines and was looking through them recently when I started wondering if some of these were celebrity houses and whether anyone on this board might have handled real estate transactions for the Rich and Famous. Thanks for the input, folks! Interesting reading.

PS: Greatday, I won't be pressing you for any info.

Old 02-09-2008, 04:35 PM

631 posts, read 2,447,983 times
I spent a week showing property to an old retired movie star. His mom and dad were very famous (won't mention names, old western movie stars) but his name is defin. known.
He's now an old man and had his hay day in his younger years. He was very smart, but deemed incompetant by a judge. I wrote up a contract with him but it had to go to his money manager. The manager made sure he didn't respond.
I was also in contact with his brother. His brother warned me to be careful not to upset mr. famous, that he could become dangerous. It was a whole weird week. I felt sorry for mr. famous as his life evolves around his memories of the past. He pisses people off everywhere he goes, is very rude and annoying and does not take care of daily personal care (stinks). I finally had to open all my windows in my office and turn on some fans as he just stunk up the place. He looks like a bum, he's on his last million and a half. He has to make it last, hence why the reason for the money manager. He called me at 5am on Sunday to meet him to go to a ranch that cost 3.5 mil. He had a dream people from Wy. were coming to buy it and would buy it out from under him. The weird thing was I did have people from Wy. call to come buy a ranch, just not that one. I told him I was not knocking on a door that early in the am, the ranch was listed and I had to get up with the listing broker. I did meet with him, but managed to get him to cool his jets in my office until a decent hour. I knew he could not buy the ranch and was not going to waste a bunch of peoples time. He thought his brother would do it with him, but he didn't know of the conversation I had with his brother who told me to watch him, don't do contracts with him, and saying he was crazy. I was pretty sure ole' bro was not going to buy a ranch with him. He finally faded away but I understand writes letters to some people he met here. This guy ended up knowing everyone and anyone just for the short time he was here. One morning he pointed out a person walking down the street and told me their whole life history. He was pretty entertaining and amusing I'll have to say. But 1 week was overdose for me!

Old 02-09-2008, 09:50 PM

631 posts, read 2,447,983 times
I don't know if this person is famous, but I think he thinks he is. Charles James Hall, author of Millennial Hospitality. He wrote 3 books and claimed it was #1 on Amazon.com best sellers. As he and his wife were buying land from me, she was selling his books to me. I don't know who was the better salesperson, I think she was. Charles was very entertaining and I really enjoyed his company. He could really spin a tale and make it come to life. I was a guppy and believed every word he told me about his alien encounters. I kind of still do.
Book #1 was actually pretty good, #2 ok to fair, #3 I'll keep my comments to myself.

Old 02-11-2008, 03:04 PM

1,408 posts, read 8,027,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgo View Post
I used to subscribe to the magazine Unique Homes, which featured homes from all over the U.S. and world. (Boy, that mag was expensive , but the homes/estates were to die for.) I've held on to these magazines and was looking through them recently when I started wondering if some of these were celebrity houses and whether anyone on this board might have handled real estate transactions for the Rich and Famous. Thanks for the input, folks! Interesting reading.

PS: Greatday, I won't be pressing you for any info.
Hey Virgo, 2 years ago i designed a couple of ads for that very magazine. oh and the property that was being advertised was not owned by a celebrity.

Old 02-11-2008, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfingatwork View Post
Hey Virgo, 2 years ago i designed a couple of ads for that very magazine. oh and the property that was being advertised was not owned by a celebrity.
Well, how about that! Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous homes! Were you the person who assembled the descriptive text info for the house and the listing info?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals