Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 10:11 AM

96 posts, read 436,588 times

Advertisements

stevep,
Thanks for the info...are you from Northern VA? We figure once we saw a house of interest, we would then look at the schools...the BIGGEST factor is elementary schools since we have a son in Kindergarten. I have done my research and am well aware of the statistics of the fairfax county schools. I figured that once I thought we saw a house that is affordable and in a good school district....we would go for it, rather than rent. You think this is a bad approach?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 06:22 PM

377 posts, read 1,730,340 times
We used to live there VA/MD for about 10 years in Arlington and Cascades/Potomac Falls, but we moved in 2002. The commute is huge, so you'll definitely want to "test drive" it before buying a home. Also, many people take the train to work into DC, so that also might weigh into your decision.

The bigger issue is that you haven't sold your home in PA yet. In this market, you don't want to get stuck with 2 mortgages because it's tough to know when you'll sell your home. For example, if your home doesn't sell for a year, can you handle paying 2 mortgages for an entire year, plus upkeep and taxes on 2 homes? And it's even harder to sell your home when you live in a different state because you've stopped doing general maintenance on the home, so it starts looking "old and tired". Also, it will be harder to qualify for a mortgage with an existing mortage.

On the flip side, if you wait and sell first and then get prequalified for a mortgage, you'll now have spent some time getting used to the area and will be in the driver's seat, because you're a "true" buyer which every seller is looking for.

Old 01-29-2008, 08:10 PM

96 posts, read 436,588 times
Yea , at first we thought if we could look to rent in the area we wanted to buy then buy when we saw something and ideally keeping our son in the same elementary school...that would be ideal. Yet, it may be unrealistic.

Overall, we are not going to do anything until our house here sells.
As for commuting, hands down, the metro will most likely be the way we go. Currently, my husband walks to the Braddock station and does not even need his car. So the way to go down there. Where ever we find, that will most likely be the way he commutes to work...and me too for that matter where ever and when ever I find work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals