Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 05:51 PM

1,729 posts, read 5,007,452 times

Advertisements

We are having problems recuperating the security from a short-term rental in the Disney Area of Orlando, Florida, and we posted under the "Renting," post, but we need to hear from the Real Estate Professionals about this matter. Would Real Estate experts look at our post under " Security Loss In Short-Term Rental." and help us, as how to follow up with this matter?

Greatly appreciated! Thank you,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 07:47 AM

3,720 posts, read 10,025,498 times
I don't think you will get different answers here. For a $300 loss, it's hard to imagine it being worth it to go to court.

However, as a consumer when I have issues like yours, I send a letter (keep a copy and write down when it was sent or go certified mail). Describe your issue very concisely, tell them what you expect and by when, then let them know if you are not satisfied you will file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and in Small Claims Court. That's probably the best you can do. If they do not respond to your satisfaction, follow through.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinaN View Post
I don't think you will get different answers here. For a $300 loss, it's hard to imagine it being worth it to go to court.

However, as a consumer when I have issues like yours, I send a letter (keep a copy and write down when it was sent or go certified mail). Describe your issue very concisely, tell them what you expect and by when, then let them know if you are not satisfied you will file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and in Small Claims Court. That's probably the best you can do. If they do not respond to your satisfaction, follow through.
Ninan: Thank you so much for your reply. But, it is not so much the $300, as much as the INJUSTICE perpetrated upon us. We are being made to pay for the issues of previous renters, and they are not going to get away with it that easily, because, if they did it to us, they are certainly doing it to others.

Like I said in the first thread on "Renting," we are older, very responsible people, who would never think of doing something like this to someone else. We took good care of that house, and originally, we had found myriad of problems with it. And, because a young ****-pot, pardon my expression, decides to punish us for making her do her job, it is not acceptable.

That house has not been cared for, and the owner is paying this property management firm money to keep it up-to-date.

Old 03-20-2013, 02:59 PM

3,720 posts, read 10,025,498 times
I get the idea of the injustice of it. But in the end, it will cause you more heartburn to dwell on it than for them to have to pay it if you sue. Good luck.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:48 AM

32 posts, read 68,346 times
Is the injustice you feel worth the $1,000.00 to $5,000.00 you may end up in paying in legal fees ? Sometimes it's more economical to let something go, then to persue.

Old 03-22-2013, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerzed View Post
Is the injustice you feel worth the $1,000.00 to $5,000.00 you may end up in paying in legal fees ? Sometimes it's more economical to let something go, then to persue.

I received very good information from another forum. We could go to Small Claims Court, we can contact the
Florida Attorney's Office and file a complaint, we can file a complaint with the Hotel Management Association, which represents Property Management Companies, we can post in Yelp, Trip Advisor, Google Travel Reviews, Facebook, Twitter, the travel section of City-Data, the Orlando Sentinel Newspaper, ripoff.com: The Leading Ripoff Site on the Net, and every other social media available.

My point is not so much to recuperate the money now, as it is to expose them as much as I can, so that other people do not get scammed, like we did. At the end, this will be my satisfaction because when people read this they would remember, and that will cost quadruple amounts of what they stole from us.
I urge people to use hotels and to avoid renting these short-term rentals of houses, prevalent in Orlando, Kissimmee, Davenport, Haines City, and Winter Haven. And remember that all these property companies are mostly located in Clermont, but there are several in the above cities.

And all of you should write to the Florida Attorney's Office, and demand that these Property Management Companiesare regulated. They are greedy as hell.

Vengeance can be sweet.

Old 03-23-2013, 01:14 PM

32,741 posts, read 48,386,146 times
You are the people who did not vacuum for the entire 6 weeks you were there. Do you think that no one reads multiple forums?

Sure, you can take it to small claims court. You realize that you will have to go to Florida for the hearing and that might involve more than one trip, because sometimes hearings are postponed and rescheduled. You will have to pay filing fees and a process server.

Your chances of winning are very low and if you tick off the management company, they might sue you for libel for posting all those "warnings" that they are crooks and advising people not to rent from them.

But, hey, file a suit and take your chances. Who knows, maybe the judge will side with you. It's vaguely possible.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:05 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,693,933 times
It is good to take a stance like this so that others will not need to go through what you had to. Just make sure to write down in a book any conversations you had so that you have something to refer to if you do end up going to court.
It will not cost you thousands as some have suggested, it will probably cost about $110-$130, filing fee and service of process costs, but you can include that cost in your suit to recoup it. There should be no need for an attorney so I don't know where the $1000-$5000 in legal fees is coming from. Many times contacting them and letting them know you will be filing and that they would be on the hook for more than just the $300 may be enough to make them do something.
Small claims generally does not take more than one hearing so you can just set up to take another vacation at the time of the hearing.
The chances of the management company suing you for libel is probably close to .0001%, a suit like that can hurt them more than help them.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:53 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,111,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBIES77 View Post
OREGON; Obviously, you did not read my thread all the way, because in one part it states that we used a broom to sweep the carpets, and since we are only two people, we do not make lots of dirt.

See, if I let it go, it will continue to happen, and they win, because that is what they want people to do. How can the Property Management Company sue me for libel, when they STOLE OUR MONEY! What happened to one of our amendments: Freedom of Speech, has it been taking away from us too.

2 people and a dog were in that home and you used a friggin BROOM to sweep the carpet. They provided you with a vacuum cleaner that you REFUSED to use.

Stop posting mulitple threads...file a complaint with the BBB, the State Attorney General or on a local tripsadvisor forum. I'd love to have you post the company name so they can come and sue your butt.

you won't do any of those things because you know you're in the wrong...you left the home filthy and they called you on it. You have no proof that the home was left clean, however, they have photos of your dog's poop and your filth......who side do you think the judge will be on???

and no, I'm not in the real estate biz.....also this OP has another name that she posts u nder..Mirdand something or other.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:59 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,111,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
It is good to take a stance like this so that others will not need to go through what you had to. Just make sure to write down in a book any conversations you had so that you have something to refer to if you do end up going to court.
It will not cost you thousands as some have suggested, it will probably cost about $110-$130, filing fee and service of process costs, but you can include that cost in your suit to recoup it. There should be no need for an attorney so I don't know where the $1000-$5000 in legal fees is coming from. Many times contacting them and letting them know you will be filing and that they would be on the hook for more than just the $300 may be enough to make them do something.
Small claims generally does not take more than one hearing so you can just set up to take another vacation at the time of the hearing.
The chances of the management company suing you for libel is probably close to .0001%, a suit like that can hurt them more than help them.
Go to the renting forum and read the orignal post there...it has all the details and will answer any question you have here.

Basically, they rented a home for 6 weeks. Two adults and a dog. They didn't clean the home when they left. The PM left them a vacuum that they refused to use for whatever reason, the dog left poop bombs, (she denies it, the PM has photos). The OP took no before or after photos, didn't ask for a walk thru (coming or going) and is now up in arms becasue the PM kept their deposit to clean the home.

If she can afford $3400 to rent a home, she can afford to hire a maid to clean that home to get her measley $300 back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals