Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2007, 05:49 AM

275 posts, read 1,762,125 times

Advertisements

We have a pending sale on our home in Calif. and signed the closing paperwork with the title company today. The actual close is not scheduled to happen for another 1 1/2 weeks. Is there a typical norm for the number of days between when the seller signs the closing paperwork and the sale completes? Can someone tell me what's normally happening at the title company and buyer's loan company between the time when the seller signs and the sale actually closes?

Appraisal was completed 2 weeks ago and I'm told everything is fine. Buyer's are putting 20% down and (I'm told again) have ample income, excellent credit, and ample cash in reserve.

I have this same question out to my realtor, but it may take him a few days to answer and I am curious.

Thanks in advance!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2007, 08:56 AM

540 posts, read 2,175,389 times
mjames,

In very broad brush strokes "Closing" is made up of two key elements; (1) the final approval of the loan and the release of funds by the lender and (2) the recording of the deed at the court house.

In actuality, when the seller signs the paperwork has no real impact on the timing except in those cases (like VA loans for example), where the seller may have to sign some documents associated with the loan.

In your original contract was there a date selected for closing? In Oregon we establish a "no later than" date and, while I used to live in Ca, I don't recall any longer how it worked there. That date provides the target for the lender to prepare documents and get them to escrow so that the BUYER can sign and the transaction can close on time.

Typically, once the buyer signs the loan documents it can take 24-72 hours to get that paperwork back to the lender for final review/approval and release of funds. Once the money is released, the escrow company will record the deed, distribute the remaining funds as appropriate, and the deal is "closed."

Remember also that the closing date and the possession dates can differ too. Many buyers miss that point and have the moving truck scheduled on the same day as they sign papers...and sometimes that can be a very bad move (I know, I did it myself once before I got into this crazy real estate business).

Best of luck with your closing...if you have any other questions, the best person to ask is the escrow/title company.

Old 12-12-2007, 12:24 PM

529 posts, read 2,396,074 times
As Dave mentioned, "closing" and "close of escrow" are two different terms that quite often are confused. The "closing" that most people think of is when you go to the title office to sign your documents.

Actual "close of escrow" is, as Dave said, when title is recorded at your county recorder's office.

Check your contract for the close of escrow (COE) date. Typically it is 1-3 days after signing and before close of escrow, time that the lender uses to approve loan docs and wire the funds to the escrow company.

Old 12-12-2007, 02:46 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,326,702 times
In CA real estate forms approved by the CA Assn of Realtors, have a time is of the essence clause. Escrow can close as soon as both the parties have completed their obligations to the other party. It drives me nuts when we get a party on the other side of a transaction that uses the "no later than" date as a closing date.

Old 12-13-2007, 05:44 AM

2,249 posts, read 8,902,236 times
I use 'on or before' and we also have time is of the essence clause.
In my neck of the woods what the op has done is "pre-signed" meaning her side of the transaction is done and what is left is for the buyer to close and the bank to fund. We often have our sellers pre-sign although not two weeks in advance unless they are going to be out of town. I never have everyone in at the same time to close.

Old 12-14-2007, 05:49 AM

275 posts, read 1,762,125 times
Thanks for the replies!

My realtor did get back with me and basically told me the same thing. Our buyers went ahead and signed their closing papers yesterday, and then did a quick walk-through with no issues. Their loan should have authorization to fund by the middle of next week and the sale should close by late next week.

Thanks Again!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals