Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2009, 06:17 PM

1 posts, read 2,835 times

Advertisements

Purchase contract specifies closing and possession on Wed 30 Dec 2009, but seller, citing tax reasons, then asks buyer to agree to recording later, on Mon 4 Jan 2010. What are risks to buyer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 06:23 PM

10,971 posts, read 22,008,472 times
Ask the closing attorney. I don't know that it would be recorded on the 30th or what the point of waiting is, but I'm also not familiar with your location.

Old 12-14-2009, 07:07 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,591,718 times
As Brandon said, may depend on your location. In AZ, the closing date should be the date of recording and usually possession depending on contract terms (closing docs are signed earlier). Buyer should review with lender to see if it effects any loan requirements, like a rate lock. Also increases risk that something else may come up financially to cause an issue with loan. The buyer is not required to agree to an extension and can require the closing to occur as contracted. Of course, this may make the seller less cooperative on dealing with other issues.

Old 12-15-2009, 12:40 AM

4,207 posts, read 15,268,664 times
The recording date is never the same as the closing date in TX. Recording is done at the county records and considering the holiday weekend this year, the earliest I see any recordings would be after the 4th.

I've seen deeds recorded as late as 3 weeks after closing. The change of ownership date is still the funding date, just the recording date is different.

Naima

Old 12-15-2009, 07:26 AM

4,511 posts, read 13,591,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsumner View Post
The recording date is never the same as the closing date in TX. Recording is done at the county records and considering the holiday weekend this year, the earliest I see any recordings would be after the 4th.

I've seen deeds recorded as late as 3 weeks after closing. The change of ownership date is still the funding date, just the recording date is different.

Naima
Interesting difference to AZ. We can't hand over the keys to the new owner until the deed of trust has been recorded (the closing date per contract). It's usually done electronically between the title co and recorder's office. If the closing date is a holiday or weekend, recording and closing would be delayed to the next business day.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:29 AM

718 posts, read 2,081,164 times
Could affect the buyer's tax deductions for the current year, but he should have done some research before he agreed to this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals