Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2012, 01:18 PM

5 posts, read 7,831 times

Advertisements

I am a 21 year old undergraduate student looking to pursue a career in real estate in CA. I am currently looking at Coldwell Banker because it seems that they have the best training/mentoring.

Which real estate company would you recommend?

Which part in CA would be best to work in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 03:49 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,337,284 times
Where in CA is your biggest sphere of influence?

Old 12-07-2012, 04:05 PM

530 posts, read 1,132,243 times
Commercial real estate

Old 12-07-2012, 04:56 PM

3,720 posts, read 10,012,597 times
The best place to start is where you know the most about the area and the most people.

Go talk to all the brokers that interest you to understand their compensation systems, training, and whether they have a method to get leads for you. Look not just at national brokers, but regional brokers that have a good history and market share. I work for one and I'm really happy with them, but they are big enough to provide the systems and training that newer agents need.

I find the specific broker is very important to the success of an office. If you like a particular company, talk to a couple brokers to see where you might fit in best.

Old 12-07-2012, 05:34 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,328,638 times
Nina is correct. Enjoy the hunt, interview brokers from various brands. While not always true, typically the brand names will give you more success, and different brokers of each brand are of different qualities and attitudes.

Old 12-08-2012, 02:58 PM

5 posts, read 7,831 times
Thank you! Great advice!

What are questions that I should ask the brokers, and since I am only still starting off should I sign with a real estate company that is not a brand name?

Old 12-08-2012, 03:38 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,796,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dswizzle View Post
Thank you! Great advice!

What are questions that I should ask the brokers, and since I am only still starting off should I sign with a real estate company that is not a brand name?
That may be difficult because many what I will call boutique, or small independent brokerages will only want experienced producers. You need to go with a company where you can get training, and also find a mentor to work with. The mentor can be within the company, or outside. It won't be cheap but it will be fast training with instant access to questions when you're in the field and need a quick answer.

Old 12-08-2012, 04:22 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,328,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dswizzle View Post
Thank you! Great advice!

First question, "what has been your success in moving rookie agents to neophytes to seasoned professionals."

Second question, "how have you done that?"

Third question, "what separates your firm from all the others, even those of your brand?"

Be certain to ask each question, then sit back and listen. It's the minor points that may make all the difference. Assume they have your interest in mind, but as Ronald Reagan said, "Trust, but verify."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals